Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Private" imports as business expenses

Options
  • 17-11-2011 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

A sole trader, not registered for VAT.

Suppose I were to buy a laptop and some software (Adobe CS) in the US and got them transported by a friend in their luggage. The laptop doesn't go through customs, neither does the software. I have invoices in my name, with US shipping address.

Can I claim these as fixed assets / expenses?

Other than the above, I have some software/services I bought from the US already, as online downloads, with American invoices. No physical media were involved. Are they deductible expenses too?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Yes, assuming they are for the business. VAT is irrelevant for tax deductibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭selekta

Thanks. I was lead to believe US shipping address could have been a problem, that the item needed to be shipped to my address.

Just to make sure: is software an expense or should I depreciate it as an asset?

Advertisement