Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What OS do you use?

Options
  • 17-11-2011 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭

Just curious.

Myself I've hardly used Windows on any of my own machines for the past 6 years and have used various Linux distro instead (single boot). Just got bored with it really as well as having a general dislike for Microsoft.

In the past I have tried to mess around with unusual OS like Solaris and BSD but they never seemed to like my hardware. Had a mac also for a few years but never bothered getting a replacement when it packed up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭asif2011

Windows 7 64-Bit, and probably Windows 8 whenever the release candidate comes out... I've tried to get in to linux but I'm a hard wired Windows man and find it hard, I'll try to play around with Solaris 11 in the next few months though...

OP You could try using Solaris in a VM, it might work for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Win7 64 bit for gaming PC. Use an iMac for everything else. Also have a low powered Linux server that I mess with. Various distros have been on it lately. My fav is mint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Ubuntu 98% of the time, Windows 7 Ultimate the rest. Choose when booting what I want it's really handy.

Linux is unbelievable to use once you get used to it,it is better in Windows in almost every way once you get it going, only problem is games. Windows 7 is good but lots of little things rather than one big thing swings my favor. Having both is ideal though.

Also the open source concept is something all us consumers should be striving for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Pretty similar to above. Win7 Ultimate 64 most of the time. I have Ubuntu 11.10 installed as well, use it occasionally, not a whole lot as I like to game every so often, so it's a pain to switch between OSs.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

I thought WIn95 was one of the best software developments ever and I havent looked back since. Win7 on my PC and Netbook and WHS 2011 looking after things around the house.

Im not big into software and understanding the language behind the scene which is why Linux and the others are just too much work for someone like me. If I throw enough hardware behind Windows then I can get it to do what I want and run smoothly. Really thats all I want from my OS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Windows 7 (64 bit) for gaming, fecking around. Debian for development, scripting, etc. Backtrack for pentesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Windows 7 as I do a lot of gaming, if it weren't for that I'd be using something along the lines of Arch Linux (which I am in the process of setting up on a netbook)

Windows 7 64-bit, had skipped Vista entirely. Not so sure I like the look of Windows 8 though. I had considered switching several times, even buying a Mac Mini G4 on one occasion, but it never materialised as I was too ingrained in the Windows way of doing things.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Windows 7, Mint, Arch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Windows 7 as I do a lot of gaming, if it weren't for that I'd be using something along the lines of Arch Linux (which I am in the process of setting up on a netbook)

I have arch linux installed on my laptop and it fecking drives me mad. Well its actually grand but there's always a 1 in 1 chance that if I run pacman -Syu i'll be busy for the afternoon trying to un**** it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I have Windows 7 and Ubuntu installed.

This laptop isn't able to game, coz it's s*** so I rarely use Windows at all.
    Ubuntu is the only distro I have used, so hoping to try out a few others in time.

While we are on the topic of software & hardware, how do SSD's work with linux?

eth0 wrote: »
    I have arch linux installed on my laptop and it fecking drives me mad. Well its actually grand but there's always a 1 in 1 chance that if I run pacman -Syu i'll be busy for the afternoon trying to un**** it

I had forgotten all about that :mad:

Know any distros that are minimal like Arch but without the, well, constant breaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Lubuntu, Xubuntu and Puppy Linux are the only ones that come to mind... Of those three, I've only ever tried Xubuntu, and that was quite a while ago, so I've no idea what they're like now.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Lubuntu, Xubuntu and Puppy Linux are the only ones that come to mind... Of those three, I've only ever tried Xubuntu, and that was quite a while ago, so I've no idea what they're like now.

I'll give Xubuntu a try then, I have used Xfce before on a netbook and I quite liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

windows 7 x64. mix bag of ultimate and Professional across the computers in the house. had home premium on most but VPN is disabled on HP. was a nightmare updating all the OSs just to find that windows VPN is absolute rubbish anyway. I use TightVNC now and its great.

I've toyed around with Linux Mint a few times but the only PC I'd run it on as a full time thing would be my server but then I lose all remote control functionality from my phone so not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Xfce is what i use most of the time although my server has lxde for the craic. I was actually thinking of getting rid of arch and using debian+custom kernel+xfce instead

To hell with bloat like kde 5 and the unity/gnome saga

Advertisement