Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashing in on your future corpse

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

zenno wrote: »
    sure what good will you're body be when you are gone/dead. look at the junk that happened a few years ago with hospitals taking body parts when they were not supposed to. if there was some money involved towards giving a body to science then that would be ok in my book as it will help you out while you are alive.

now if a person has some religious beliefs then that's different of course but if you sign up for giving your body to science i think it should benefit the person doing so in receiving some money.

Obviously it would be no good to me, same as it would be no good to a religious person when they are dead. wherever Im going Im going as I am when i die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

seanybiker wrote: »
    wherever Im going Im going as I am when i die.

The only thing though in this country when you die is how is anyone going to know if your innards were not dissected and body parts sent off elsewhere as after a body dies and goes to postmortem they sow it up and dress it nicely before burial. the vampires will still take your body parts before buriel or cremation behind your back.

Pricey stuff alright from american standards, even though this is the price of the operation as well but the price of healthy body parts is quite expensive either way...

In 2007, the average cost for a single-lung transplant was nearly $400,000, according to the online resource Transplant Living. The average cost for a double-lung transplant, in which both of the patient's original lungs are replaced with donor lungs, was about $550,000. For a heart-lung transplant, involving the transplant of both a donor heart and a single lung, the average cost was about $875,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

seanybiker wrote: »
    wherever Im going Im going as I am when i die.

The only thing though in this country when you die is how is anyone going to know if your innards were not dissected and body parts sent off elsewhere as after a body dies and goes to postmortem they sow it up and dress it nicely before burial. the vampires will still take your body parts before buriel or cremation behind your back.
    Wouldn't it be a bit awkward taking your body parts behind your back? The spine would get in the way surely..?

I will have to look into the american market on this for the price of a cadaver in reasonable condition lol. my arms might not be worth anything because of the tattoos and the state of my liver but i'm sure there is other reasonably worthwhile parts they can use, I think.

the things i do when i'm smashed. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I'd do it for free, they do a lot of good teaching medical students and developing forensic techniques. I want to donate organs though so I don't know if they'd want me.

• Advertisement

there would be nothing worse than the medical examiner doing the test and say, yes he is dead but little do they realize hours before your death some person blows zombie powder (tetrodotoxin) paralyzing the victim and causing him to appear dead then the family would bury the person alive thinking the person was dead. this has happened before but before the person was buried there was a hurried autopsy on the living person, but they thought that person was dead. all compliments of the pufferfish and friends.

if it can happen to him, it can happen to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

I wouldnt do this actually i'd be too worried about my family having nothing to bury which i know would be important to them happily donate organs though to whoever wants/needs them, though id say they're all a bit gammy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I'll be needing my body for when I comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well I woke up in a hotel once missing a kidney.
    True story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

biko wrote: »
    True story.

I know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

mmcn90 wrote: »
    You can die from anything, once its not on the list of infectious diseases. My mam died in August from multi-organ failure and donated her body to UCD medical school.

I stand corrected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

I carry a multi organ donor card. If it helps someone live after I'm gone, that alone would be payment/satisfaction enough for me.

I've never seen a hearse with a tow bar.

biko wrote: »
    True story.

are you serious or is that just a joke ?.

I have heard of this happening people before but i found it a bit hard to believe.

You don't get paid in Ireland for donating your body to science - it's a voluntary thing.

Also, you can't die of any illnesses. The body has to be in fairly good shape, so your death most likely has to be from the likes of an accident such as a car crash.

You don't get paid, but it's only certain illnesses you can't have. Generally those that present an infection risk (e.g. HIV, CJD, MRSA etc etc) are not accepted.

If extreme trauma is experienced at the time of death, a body won't be accepted, neither will one that is badly decomposed or has had an autopsy performed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

George Hook is doing it - seriously.

The mental image of George Hook naked on a slab brings to mind Jabba the Hut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

are you serious or is that just a joke ?.

I have heard of this happening people before but i found it a bit hard to believe.

Happened to my uncles mate .
    Thailand.

Oh and to my neighbours mate.
    Mexico.

Oh and to every taxi drivers mate.

Advertisement