Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does the 360 work if the ethernet port is removed?

Options
  • 17-11-2011 3:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭

thread title pretty much says it all. have a xenon xbox here that's being a bowsey, giving me the E73/1021 error

southbridge is fine, gpu is fine, that leaves the ethernet port which is completely unused on the device. so basically if i whip that out will the xbox work without it, or is it gonna prevent it from starting up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Let me clarify by saying i dont know for sure but my opinion this would be:

No it wont help, for two reasons

1) the Ethernet nic (the hardware for the network card) is probably not on the Ethernet port

2) Even if you did remove the nic, If it wont boot up if there is an issue with it, i'd imagine it does checks on the nic, cant imagine it would be happy to not find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Helix wrote: »
    thread title pretty much says it all. have a xenon xbox here that's being a bowsey, giving me the E73/1021 error

southbridge is fine, gpu is fine, that leaves the ethernet port which is completely unused on the device. so basically if i whip that out will the xbox work without it, or is it gonna prevent it from starting up?

Yes, it will work fine without an Ethernet port. It will have the same effect as not having a cable in the USB/Ethernet port - all pins have no connection :) However, what wmn said is true, the error is not a faulty ethernet port, it's a faulty NIC.

In actual fact, it's almost never the NIC either, but the southbridge/gpu - how sure are you that they're fine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

you raise a very good point there, im taking the fact that the southbridge and gpu are find from the chap i got the board from. probably not the best thing to do in fairness

is a reball the safest option here, or would i be as well getting a big old magnifying glass and checking all the joins on each of the chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

you raise a very good point there, im taking the fact that the southbridge and gpu are find from the chap i got the board from. probably not the best thing to do in fairness

is a reball the safest option here, or would i be as well getting a big old magnifying glass and checking all the joins on each of the chips?

I don't mean to sound rude but that would work if you had x-ray vision to see through each chip. Well CPU and GPU.

I don't mean to sound rude but that would work if you had x-ray vision to see through each chip. Well CPU and GPU.

or i could just look on the other side of the board? no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

or i could just look on the other side of the board? no?

No as they are surface mounted.

ah this i did not know

so, suggestions then?

Return the board if you can. Get a reball if you can't.

reball likely to do it?

have a fellow here who can reball it for me, is there anything that i need to look out for to make sure it's done right when i get it back at all? also, it's a jtagged box, is that soldering job okay under the reballing process? or will it cause issues?

• Advertisement

Scrub that the guy wants to reflow CPU, GPU and hana chips. Yay or may board? No fix no fee, but would obviously prefer a solution that'll work. I miss SNES games with a non wii controller

A reflow is where they heat up the solder to it's melting point and then broken solder joints will "reflow" and become unbroken. It's not as good as a reball which is where they melt solder, remove the chip from the board and clean it off. Then they replace the lead-free solder with lead-solder and put it back on.

No fix no fee sounds find to me, just be aware that at some point it may fail again and have to get a reball done. I think it's worth the cost for a JTAG Jasper only, and even then only worth one repair with one option (reball or reflow) because the glitch is out and offers the same functionality.

Well I got this box for $100. Worked grime for a few months but I knew this was in the cards. I'll let the guy know I'll give the reflow a shot anyway. If it works it'll cost another $40, but at least itll get me another few months if nothing else. At the price i paid I'm happy enough. Nice one for the advice lads

Advertisement