Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the point in Irish themed style pubs in Ireland

• 17-11-2011 4:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,650 ✭✭✭✭

I never understood this, Jurys Inn in Galway has a Guinness sign outside called Irish pub, well I never, your kidding me. No seriously though I seen a pub in Ballyshannon, Donegal called Dicey Reillys which claims to be an Irish themed style pub, WTF! Can understand this maybe in the States, UK, Europe but Ireland?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

For tourists :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

For sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

Bitches love Irish themed style pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

As Rhinocharge says it's for tourists, but also I think if you're redecorating a pub in this country it's the path of least resistance to go with that style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

What's the point?
    To show off the grandparents goods and chattels and the
    photos of the local team that nearly got to the final years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The Irish theme has to come from somewhere :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,650 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

But every pub in Ireland is an Irish pub, so do we need Irish IRISH pubs then or just Irish ones lol.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

But every pub in Ireland is an Irish pub, so do we need Irish IRISH pubs then or just Irish ones lol.

Really ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I like all the crazy crap on the walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 RebelBOK

I think there`s a difference between an Irish pub and an Irish themed pub. Spose you can argue that every pub in Ireland is an Irish pub seeing as well it`s IN Ireland, but agree these Irish themed pubs are strictly for the tourists, prob more likely to see these kinda places in tourist hotspots like Galway or Killarney! Have to give the yanks a bit of paddywhackery and all that! We`ll have students dressing up as leprechauns, running around shouting ``where`s me gold`` in said hotspots for a bit of pocket money during the summer months soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

and what's with all the same piss foreign drinks on tap in every bar. Budweiser and Guinness are about as Irish as Oprah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 RebelBOK

Actually now that i think of it is the drink ``Kilkenny`` actually sold anywhere in Ireland?? I hav`nt been to Kilkenny in years but dont recall ever seeing it there. Every time i go into an Irish pub abroad i see it on tap next to the Guinness and the local`s think it`s as part of our regular diet as Guinness and potatoes! and they always seem genuinely suprised when i explain to them that i`ve never actually seen it in Ireland! Perhaps they have it in those Irish Themed pubs. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭EKClarke

and what's with all the same piss foreign drinks on tap in every bar. Budweiser and Guinness are about as Irish as Oprah.

It's called Diageo now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

Because there's feck all real pubs left, they've all gone "metro" playing ****e chart music and all.

RebelBOK wrote: »
    Actually now that i think of it is the drink ``Kilkenny`` actually sold anywhere in Ireland?? I hav`nt been to Kilkenny in years but dont recall ever seeing it there. Every time i go into an Irish pub abroad i see it on tap next to the Guinness and the local`s think it`s as part of our regular diet as Guinness and potatoes! and they always seem genuinely suprised when i explain to them that i`ve never actually seen it in Ireland! Perhaps they have it in those Irish Themed pubs. smile.gif

I was in Kilkenny awhile back and couldn't get a pint of Kilkenny anywhere, was sickened!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

For the same reason America has "American Sports Bars".
    Not everybody is as self-loathing as you OP :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's to remind people what it was like to go on foreign holidays before they went bankrupt.

Advertisement