Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you allowed to buy and launch model rockets in Ireland ?

• 17-11-2011 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

it seems like a fun hobby

what is the deal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

no as far as i know you need a permit to launch any kind of rocket that isn't a firework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Truthfully not sure how I ended up here but bizarrely I have come across this question before (lawyer). http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/si/0025.html

That's a link to the relevant Statutory Instrument. In essence, you need a permit for a rocket unless it is t :

"a model rocket using not more than 100 grams (0.1 kilogram) of propellant or using a slow burning propellant and made of paper, wood or frangible plastic containing no substantial parts and weighing no more than half a kilogram (0.5 kilogram) operated in a manner that does not create a hazard to persons, property or other aircraft"

So if your fuel, weight and component parts are within bounds, you can eh fire away (see what I did there).

Advertisement