Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam Artists

Options
  • 17-11-2011 9:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭

Just a little heads up because these 3 guys & a lady are currently driving me mental taking advantage of the kindness & generosity of strangers.

Dublin 2 - mainly around Grafton Street/Georges Street/Stephens Green, man stopping people with sob story about mother-in-law kicking him out of her house & needing €7 for the bus to Dungarvan.

Dublin 1 - up around Temple Street hospital & surrounding streets. Guy stopping people asking them for a few quid to get to Crumlin because his child was moved there by ambulance in an emergency and he has no money to follow. Ofen get stopped by him twice walking past him to go to into town & then a couple of hours later on the way home

Dublin 8 - well dressed young guy hipsterish looking, tattoos, stops you in a panic with a story about how he's up training in the L'oreal college on Thomas street or else was up Christmas shopping & missed his lift home or got his car impounded. Also wants €7 for a bus home. I actually gave this guy money once and then got home to find out he'd stung my flatmate as well :mad: But was happy out when he approached me a few months later along the canal and tried the same spiel on me and I was able to catch him out. Pity he has no shame!

Dublin 1 - O'Connell St, youngish woman, crocodile tears & a big handful of change. Comes up to you in a panic and and asks if you speak English and then asks for €3 for a hostel. Not so much a scam artist as an agressively emotional beggar but she often appears at the same time as Temple St con chap & I think they're pretty much in it together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Dublin 1 - up around Temple Street hospital & surrounding streets. Guy stopping people asking them for a few quid to get to Crumlin because his child was moved there by ambulance in an emergency and he has no money to follow. Ofen get stopped by him twice walking past him to go to into town & then a couple of hours later on the way home.

LOL, this lad stopped me on the way home from work and gave me the same story. I knew his game so I told him my car was parked in the flats and im going out that direction if he wants a lift. He declined, thank god, because I was actually going a different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I think if someone is stupid enough to fall for this cr*p then leave them to it. Anyone with any common sense would tell these people no and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Dublin 2 - mainly around Grafton Street/Georges Street/Stephens Green, man stopping people with sob story about mother-in-law kicking him out of her house & needing €7 for the bus to Dungarvan.

Definitely came across this guy up around Baggot st. during the summer when sitting outside a pub. I gave him nothing but a friend gave him a couple of Euro. Obviously a nonsense sob story but he wasn't aggressive or anything like some of them can be

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

there's already a thread about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

cosmic wrote: »
    I think if someone is stupid enough to fall for this cr*p then leave them to it. Anyone with any common sense would tell these people no and move on.

I got taken in by one of them, the guy in D8. I'm not stupid or lacking in common sense & I really don't like to see people stuck. First time I'd come across that particular scam & it wasn't until I mentioned it to my flatmate that had had the same story out of yer man that the penny dropped. Felt like a complete sap at the time & I'd rather it didn't happen to someone else :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

cosmic wrote: »

People looking for money for a bus is the most common scam in the world. It happens everywhere.
    How the hell does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Ooooooh the scam artists! €3 here, €7 there, what is the world coming to!? For a bus? Now there's something you don't see every day!

Did you get a photo as to what to look out for?

Can't get over what people will do to make a fortune! :confused:

It's all a bloody scam!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Fools and their money.

NEVER give any money to beggars or chuggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 louiseamd

Paparazzo wrote: »
    People looking for money for a bus is the most common scam in the world. It happens everywhere.
    How the hell does it work?

I've been stopped in Dublin 15 a couple of times by scammers. Twice this young girl stopped me and asked if I had a euro for her bus journey home. Another time there were these people up by the taxi rank at the shopping centre in Blanchardstown and they were asking people if they could put the trolley back for the euro in it(I think most people have those keyring things with the disk in it for the trolley nowadays) I told them no, I'll put my own trolley back and they were being really demanding, the taxi driver told them to f*** off. Good on him! I also had a similar encounter at Tesco in Clare Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Good on the taxi driver,great to see taxi drivers doing above and beyond what is required from them!Nice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement