Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do cats go away to die?

• 17-11-2011 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    I guess I'm looking for some sort of comfort here:(
    I had my cat Ziggy for 17 years. She was the sweetest friendliest little thing ever (you can tell how much I loved her from my user name!). I got her when I was 11 years of age. In recent years she battled through skin cancer on her ears and had to get them removed. Apart from that she was never sick. She was always curled up in the bed beside me. I guess I thought she'd always be around. I feel a bit guilty because I moved out when I had my son 2 years ago so I didn't see her as much. Anyway yesterday my mam told me she had being missing for 2 days. She only ever went out to go to the toilet and lie around the garden. I immediately went up to my mam's house to look for her. There was no point in calling her as she's deaf! My other cat was acting strange kept running down the end of the garden. The gardens behind my mams are very big with lots of hedges and high grass down the back so I decided to jump into one to have a look. I couldn't see anything so was about to jump back over when I noticed something white and furry partially covered in muck and leaves. My ziggy :(:(:(
    I called my dad who threw me over a bag to put her in. We buried her in her bed in my mam's garden beside our other cat Sooty who died years ago. I'm devastated that I found her like that but glad that we did find her. I always imagined we'd have to put her to sleep when her time came and she would die in my arms. I feel terrible that she died all alone. What do you think happened a heart attack maybe? And would it have been quick? There were no obvious marks or injuries on her. Anyway RIP Ziggy love you always xxxx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I'm so sorry o/p & may your little girl rest in peace.

I actualy think some "RIP" could be why she left.
    The house will always have some noise and smells to distract.

Its often the case that animals (& people) know their time is up.

Its possible she went to the bottom of the garden just to smell the clean air and relax before her passing.

I know its tough now, but take solace that your cat led a long happy & loved life & your cat would not have forgotten that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

From what I've heard animals that live in groups leave to die to protect their family members. If they go away then there's no smell of death to attract predators to the group.

I'm so sorry for your loss. A few years ago the dog I'd grown up with slipped out of our garden and went off to die; we never found her. How she got out is a mystery because she was a small terrier, 16 years old, blind, deaf and arthritic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

kylith wrote: »
    From what I've heard animals that live in groups leave to die to protect their family members. If they go away then there's no smell of death to attract predators to the group..
    I also heard this too and when you think about it, it makes logical sense in the natural world. As mentioned above, i think animals know when they are about to die and taking herself off for some peace and quiet, without being fussed over etc could be another reason.

So sorry for your loss, its always horrendous losing our pets, it never gets easier and i wouldnt want it to really. Ive often felt more upset over my pets than some people to be honest as we invest so much of our emotional selves into caring for them. 17 is an amazing age OP, pat yourself on the back for that and take comfort in the fact you know she had a great life and managed to find her and say goodbye *HUGS*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I can appreciate your loss of Ziggy, as the passing of a pet is always a sad occasion. Hopefully afterwards that you may remember the good times you've had with your cat and cherish those memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

Hi Ziggy23,

I am sorry for your loss. I am guessing, given the cancer on her ears and the deafness, that Ziggy may have been a white cat? Anyway, don't beat yourself up. Our beautiful white cat Lucy passed away a few weeks ago at only 2 1/2 years old. We are picking up her ashes on Monday. :( I only wish we could have had her for as long as you and your family got to enjoy Ziggy and vice versa.

I personally couldn't even think about Lucy for the first few weeks, then a couple of days ago I put up a beautiful picture of her as a kitten. I am starting to slowly allow myself to remember all the good times we had with her without welling up. Although, to be honest I am feeling a bit sad for her today.

There are so many cats out there who are never lucky enough to get love and attention from any human. Your Ziggy was one of the lucky ones.

RIP Ziggy.

JKM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

First of all, RIP Ziggy and my condolences to you :(

It was mentioned before, many animals know, when their time on earth has come, and I guess, she went to her favourite playground to pass away in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Thanks guys for the lovely replies and condolences to those of you who have lost pets too. Yes she was mainly white with a few black patches and a black tail. She used to sit on our windowsill everyday and I couldn't count the amount of people who used to stop and stare at her or ask what breed of cat is that?! She looked so strange without her ears. When I found her yesterday there was a light covering of soil over her I wonder if one of the other cats tried to bury her? It didn't look like enough soil for a human to do it and the garden whereshe was found only an elderly woman lived there and ziggy was well hidden so don't think she would have seen her. Anyway here is a pic of princess Ziggy or the Queen Mother as we used to call her :p
    http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/23481_382602649946_713304946_3989115_7456246_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Beautiful cat! Very sorry for your loss.:(
    You were incredibly lucky to have her that long hope my lad makes it to that age :)

I had a cat who developed odd lumps on her body the vet didn't know what it was and one day after that she just disappeared and never came back. Everyone said she had probably gone off to die. Broke my heart that I couldn't find her to bury her.

Be good to yourself and remember all the happy times :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭lucycat

RIP Ziggy and so so sorry to hear of your loss ziggy23 :( She sounds like she had a great life with you so try to remember the good times you both had, although I'm sure you are in bits you poor dear.

I think it's so strange the way animals go off to die, it's almost as if to spare us the sorrow of seeing them go or sonething. Will never forget when Pixie II ( who was a big black Tom cat, the furthest thing from a pixie ever) passed - I was away at school & I came back for a weekend to be told he was missing. Spent about 12 straight hours shouting myself hoarse & traipsing the fields looking for him, only for my dad to finally admit Pixie II had died earlier that week after going missing for a couple of days :(

They would break your heart but they are all worth it. Feel better soon OP

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rep8888

I'M so so sorry to hear of your loss R.I.P ZIGGY

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

Really sorry to hear about your loss. Rip ziggy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

She was beautiful, she looks very similar to one of mine, but she isn't going to reach a fraction of that age thanks to a joint condition:(
    17 is a great age, well done for looking after her so well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

I'm so sorry for your loss Ziggy23. I've posted this verse which has brought me comfort when I've lost one of my furbabies.
    RIP Ziggy. Run free on rainbow bridge beautiful girl.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
    All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.
    His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers.
    Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
    You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.
    Happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
    Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

MaryK666 wrote: »
    I'm so sorry for your loss Ziggy23. I've posted this verse which has brought me comfort when I've lost one of my furbabies.
    RIP Ziggy. Run free on rainbow bridge beautiful girl.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
    All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.
    His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers.
    Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
    You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.
    Happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
    Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

That poem is so beautiful I'm in tears here reading it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

Sorry about the passing of your little ziggy xxx they are so special

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭tittle mouse

RIP Ziggy:(

i have tears in my eyes reading all the lovely posts. its heart breaking when a pet pass away. i had a yorkie for 17 years and she died on the one year anniversary of my granny dying. I came home from my grannies anniversary mass and she was dead, she was old and sick but i like to think that she fought on for year to comfort me through my grief.

RIP Ziggy:(

i have tears in my eyes reading all the lovely posts. its heart breaking when a pet pass away. i had a yorkie for 17 years and she died on the one year anniversary of my granny dying. I came home from my grannies anniversary mass and she was dead, she was old and sick but i like to think that she fought on for year to comfort me through my grief.

Aww sorry to hear that :( Yes I'd say so I think animals have a sixth sense they seem to know when we are upset. I don't know how many times I soaked Ziggy's fur with my tears over the years x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

So sorry for your loss :-(
    From my own experience with cats they don't generally go away to die, I think people think that because something happens to them while they are out and about. When a cat feels poorly they generally just want to be at home cuddled up somewhere warm so it is likely that is was sudden with your girl.
    It's never easy to loose them and even harder when you have had them for so long R.I.P. Ziggy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

So sorry for your loss :-(
    From my own experience with cats they don't generally go away to die, I think people think that because something happens to them while they are out and about. When a cat feels poorly they generally just want to be at home cuddled up somewhere warm so it is likely that is was sudden with your girl.
    It's never easy to loose them and even harder when you have had them for so long R.I.P. Ziggy

My older cat actually did go away to die although in her case it was only to another room as she was a house cat. She was quite old and getting weaker, with no apparent illness though, and on her last night she came to my dad for cuddles as usual and then in the morning we found her curled up in a room across the house she was normally going into at all. I guess they just want their peace and quiet when they know it's time.

I'm sorry for the loss of your cat. We can only make their life as good as we can while they are here...

Advertisement