Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due July 2012 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I have had the most god awful headache all day, off to see if some chocolate will help :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

My baby must still be pretty high up, coz I'm
    Not going to the toilet half as much as ye ladies. But I do find if I have to walk any distance at all, I get a really bad urge to go.

Wld u let ur friend give u the sweep? I don't think I'd be able to let someone I know that well near me.

I think I offended my friend the other night in the pub. Himself rubbed my belly as he was passing at one stage coz he knew it wld be rocking out to the music and straight away she came at me to do it. I was like eh...what r u doing? And she said she thought it was ok coz he was after doing it! I just cant handle people wanting to touch me at all. She said one of her colleagues had let her feel her baby kick, like if one pregnant woman does they all should!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

kildareash wrote: »
    My baby must still be pretty high up, coz I'm
    Not going to the toilet half as much as ye ladies. But I do find if I have to walk any distance at all, I get a really bad urge to go.

Wld u let ur friend give u the sweep? I don't think I'd be able to let someone I know that well near me.

I think I offended my friend the other night in the pub. Himself rubbed my belly as he was passing at one stage coz he knew it wld be rocking out to the music and straight away she came at me to do it. I was like eh...what r u doing? And she said she thought it was ok coz he was after doing it! I just cant handle people wanting to touch me at all. She said one of her colleagues had let her feel her baby kick, like if one pregnant woman does they all should!

only other person id let touch my belly is my bestie. the way i look at it is, why would you think it ok to touch my belly when Im not pregnant so dont think its ok just cause i am !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Has anyone received confirmation of maternity pay yet? I got the letter saying I should hear in the next few weeks and that they had receievd my form but haven't heard anything more.

And Silly... just oh god! Like it is genuinely bad enough to have midwives and doctors seeing you: but to have a friend give you a sweep? No thank you :eek:

Also for the love of god why do they always want to kick your husband out of the room when your being checked over: but when it comes to giving birth its totally okay for them to be there?!? I'm pretty sure that makes no sense at all :p

I'm after washing all the doors in my house today: and have all the windows open now trying to get the lemony smell of cleaner out (before he gets home from work preferably): its just they havent been cleaned the way I'd clean them in months (ditto windows, shower, cupboards, tiles on wall in bathroom) and I really want them done before babs gets here. Nesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

no way. Two of other other friends were there when she said it, and they both had babies this year, they were like - no way would i want a friend doing that! they said that even if she was working on the mat ward (she's a phn now, so no chance of that happening) when they went into labour they would request another midwife..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Kash wrote: »
    For the people doing the perinneal massage, are you doing it yourself? Or is your partner doing it for you? I'm finding it very hard to get in a good position for it, so hubby is doing it most days.

Mink, I am also jealous of your uninterrupted sleep - I woke up 6 times to pee and another 3 or 4 just to roll over.:rolleyes:

My bladder has gone all weird in the last few days though - when I go from sitting to standing, I get pressure real low like I've been needing to pee for hours. Even after peeing, once I stand up off the loo, I get the same pressure/discomfort. it goes away after a few minutes, but it's really odd...

Re the sleep, bear in mind that was only 1 night! That was after being up from 4am to 6.30am on Fri night! I always wake to turn but can usually get back to sleep straight away.

For the massage, my midwife suggested putting one leg up on the side of the bath or loo & just doing one side & then swap over. There's no way I'd get both thumbs in. I tried to trim the aul lady garden and it was absolutely pointless - couldn't see anything & could hardly reach anything even with a mirror. I haven't actually started doing the massage, I might start tonight just to see how I get on with the contortions.

I get that pressure all the time too when I stand, very strange
    silly wrote: »
    yes! I have this..I literally leave the bathroom and just turn around and go back in again. The pressure is something fierce!

Can someone send me on some info about that massage, I had tears when i had my daughter 11 yrs ago, she was 8.2 and i think this baby might be bigger. What oil do i need to use, can i use baby oil??

It's suggested not to use baby oil, I think cos there's a fair few chemicals in it and you are putting into... places... a little. My midwife suggested pure almond oil (or olive oil - but that's just odd) & can get it in the healthfood shop.

Someone on here posted a link to a doc which has all the details of how to do it, that's what I printed off.
    But I do find if I have to walk any distance at all, I get a really bad urge to go.

I get this all the time when I walk, that's partially why I find it so hard to walk, it actually hurts after a while.

It's so disappointing when you feel like you are bursting and then you go to the jacks only to not be able to fill a thimble!

no way. Two of other other friends were there when she said it, and they both had babies this year, they were like - no way would i want a friend doing that! they said that even if she was working on the mat ward (she's a phn now, so no chance of that happening) when they went into labour they would request another midwife..

Aren't we strange creatures...you think it wld be more reassuring to have a close friend looking after you, someone u trust etc!

I'm counting down the minutes to 5.30pm!!!!

Me too KA except I can go at 5pm! Dying to get out of here. I've a really bad headache and the chocolate didn't help and I've had constant heartburn all day, no amount of gaviscon is helping :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Can someone send me on some info about that massage, I had tears when i had my daughter 11 yrs ago, she was 8.2 and i think this baby might be bigger. What oil do i need to use, can i use baby oil??

It has to be a cold pressed oil, so baby oil is no good.
    Olive oil, vitamin e oil and almond oil are all recommended.

I'm actually using Mothercares "It's your body - perineal massage oil" - it was over by the lotions and potions section, near the breast pads/disposeable knickers section in my local store.

I saw special perenium massage oil in boots but it was like 17 euros which is completely ridiculous. The bottle of almond oil was a fiver and you can use it for baby massage later too.
    Aren't we strange creatures...you think it wld be more reassuring to have a close friend looking after you, someone u trust etc!

I'm counting down the minutes to 5.30pm!!!!

Oh me too!! I just can't wait to sit down with some dinner (well have to cook it first) and watch Sopranos!

I prefer not to get treated by people I know. My mother was a doctor & I used to make her bring me to the local GP for a 2nd opinion & blood tests after I'd been really ill as I felt she was missing something :D.

My best friend (well not so much anymore as she hasn't bothered calling me in months) is a doctor and I'm just reluctant to have her treat me & I'm reluctant to listen to her medical advice. I don't even ask her for prescriptions. Don't ask me why, she's a fantastic doc by all accounts.

Anyone else got some friends who have somehow disappeared a bit since you got preg. I'm really disappointed in her. I may try meet her this week and it will be my last time instigating seeing her, it's up to her after that. I'm pretty sure she thinks I'm a poor country bumpkin popping out babies now. She's very career focused & moving abroad soonish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Kildareash I totally get the belly touching thing. I am happy for my partner & my two nieces (the 6 year old likes to feel the baby but asks first) to feel my belly but that's it.
    I seen her yesterday & she had a feel. Her friend was there & asked when I was having a baby. I told her in 5 weeks & she asked why wasn't I in hospital already then :D imagine if we all had to be in hospital for a month before our babies arrived.

Mink you are not meant to start massage until 34 weeks so you have a week or so yet. There is no way I would manage it alone so I'll be getting a helping hand :D I was planning on using lubricant...does it need to be a cold pressed oil?

I have the stand up need to pee problem...it's just ridiculous at times :)

Are you doing kick counts? I still wonder if a series of movements together is regarded as one or several movements for the chart :)

TwoMums2Be wrote: »
    I was planning on using lubricant...does it need to be a cold pressed oil?

Are you doing kick counts? I still wonder if a series of movements together is regarded as one or several movements for the chart :)

I think if you are using an oil, then it needs to be cold pressed (not things like baby oil or scented massage oils). But i would think some 'intimate' lubricants would be fine, especially if they include some of the recommended oils? The oils are to help the skin to soften.

Re the kicks, i haven't actually been counting properly - just a vague idea :o
    But, at antenatal, i did ask about whether a series of kicks/rolls should be counted as one or more, and the nurse said that I should count that as one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Anyone else gettin period style cramps that last a few minutes?

No, none here, theg81der. I read earlier that they can be a sign of early labour, so maybe give your doc a call to be on the safe side.

In other news, I received my maternity benefit confirmation from the Social Welfare office today, so I would guess that more of you will be getting it in the days to come. So, I guess I now need to figure out my finances...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I have them kinda period style cramps: but I agree if your anyway worried ring doc/midwife. We are all different and better safe than sorry :)

I would give my right arm for two neurofen plus and to put heat packs on my belly right now: I'll settle for a shower! I have cramps down my legs up my back and up my belly but particularly down low: but then I guess that's what I'd normally get with a period and they weren't worried sat in hosp so im not worrying either. Well trying not to!!

That's great about mat pay kash: I just want the letter and to have it sorted now just in case there's any bother seen as ive been on illness benefit since nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭tinkerbell79

same here wit the standing up and needing to pee very annoying when(sorry TMI) i go and its only a dribble or I refuse to go as Ive just been and Im busy and then nearly wetting myself!!:eek:

Also same with period type pain.... starting a bit of nesting sorted out boys clothes washed windows etc.

I got my maternity benifit confirmation so glad its 1 less thing to think about!!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saurelin

I get my confirmation today as well

my back are killing me today. dont know what to do - nothing helps today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Urgh. :-(

seen a doggie like my doggie after it got hit by a van today. poor thing didn't look like he was gonna make it.

been crying every half hour since:-(

Oh Java I hate seeing animals knocked down, particularly dogs as it's rarer as they're generally meant to be on a leash.
    Kash wrote: »
    In other news, I received my maternity benefit confirmation from the Social Welfare office today, so I would guess that more of you will be getting it in the days to come. So, I guess I now need to figure out my finances...

I was just thinking the other day I need to work out how the hell we are going to survive with me not earning a full wage. I've been ignoring it for months and months.

I slept through the night again last night. The only thing is that I think that I was really dehydrated so didn't need to pee as much. The penance for this is I had another very unfortunate constipation experience last night and I now definitely have haemmarhoids (or arse acorns as another boardsie Caprilicious calls them :cool:).

So I'm getting bran flakes & lots of fruit today! And I better get some sort of cream for them, they're very sore!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭The Magpie

Hi ladies
    Just wondering if anyone has started the dreaded task of packing their bag?
    There's a list in the Rotunda booklet. Realistically do you need 10 of everything if your being discharged after 24hours :)
    Has anyone started or got a comprehensive list that fits in a small bag?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

The Rotunda gave me a print out and I remember thinking it was quite small, I got it at the antenatal classes, I'll dig it out later and post it up.

Mink if you can drink a glass of pure orange juice a day, make sure it's not the "from concentrate" ones. Also Weetabix crunchy bran actually has one of the highest fibre contents, and it tastes good, I have it every morning.

Mink wrote: »
    The penance for this is I had another very unfortunate constipation experience last night and I now definitely have haemmarhoids (or arse acorns as another boardsie Caprilicious calls them :cool:).

I got them on my last pregnancy..ouchies!
    nothing this time yet though! But i think i got them very late in the pregnancy last time.

I have a doctors appointment today and i'm going to tell her how unhappy i am at work. When i come back i am going to tell my boss that if he wants me to train someone in, he needs to get someone asap...cos the dr wants to sign me out.
    I asked him yesterday had he someone organised - he said he will organise someone in a day or two....total bullsh1t.

Oh Silly that's total bull! God what is it with men and pregnant woman, they don't seem to have a clue. Now saying this not all men are like this!!

I went to my GP this morning and typically the headaches and sore ears were gone this morning :rolleyes: but I still mentioned it. My BP was grand altough it took 3 goes to get it down to a normal number! She said the baby's head is well down which is great :D

Anyone looking for the perrienal gel I got some in mothercare, now it's only a tiny bottle but it was 7.50 so handy enough. Needed to get more stretchmark oil too and got their own brand stretch mark oil for half the price of the bio oil. It's rose hip and borage oil.

Mink, I know how u feel about the finances! I don't know how we're going to survive on one wage either.
    I am very lucky that I will get paid for the first 14 weeks, but it will be a very quiet Christmas this year. Pressies will be down to a minimum.
    We're trying to save to go see OH's sister in Philadelphia in November too.
    And to top it all off, my car decided to not work yesterday evening. Mechanic reckons it will cost at least €700 to fix. I just came home and cried!

For the constipation, I found the juice of freshly squeezed oranges much more effective and proper brown bread with seeds and nuts in it.
    One advantage of the diabetes diet is that I'm eating much better and the constipation doesnt seem to effect me as badly anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 barremic

Just back from doctors too, everything grand, she said the baby seems to be on track and it has moved well down.

That may explain the horrible nights sleep i had last night. My hips and pelvis have been bad for months, but I could barely make it across the landing to the loo last night, the pain was unreal and i wasnt sure my legs could take the extra weight. I was nearly going to have to bring my crutches upstairs, which i never do.

still on the home stretch now, and they are hoping i will only have to use both crutches for about 4 weeks after birth.

also got letter from social welfare, seems i was too organised sending in my stuff they need another letter from the doctor saying my due date as the one i sent was too early, so they wont process claim any further, im supposed to be on maternity benefit in two weeks, cant see that being sorted out that quickly. Why couldnt they write me sooner to say letter was too early. grrr

OMG my boss just rang me and wanted to know whether I was in the office or not!!! He's supposed to be there today......:mad:

He asked me to work this week for the rest of the week and I was like you know I'm due in 3 weeks. He was said oh right, would you not be able to do it then? I am only supposed to be doing 2 days a week. So just told him I couldn't do it and that I'd ring him after the baby was born! At least he's offered to pay me what I'm owed :pac:

Hoping to get the yard back in shape within 6 weeks after the baby is born so don't particurly want to go back to working for him.

notsobusy wrote: »
    OMG my boss just rang me and wanted to know whether I was in the office or not!!! He's supposed to be there today......:mad:

He asked me to work this week for the rest of the week and I was like you know I'm due in 3 weeks. He was said oh right, would you not be able to do it then? I am only supposed to be doing 2 days a week. So just told him I couldn't do it and that I'd ring him after the baby was born! At least he's offered to pay me what I'm owed :pac:

Hoping to get the yard back in shape within 6 weeks after the baby is born so don't particurly want to go back to working for him.

Oh my god, your boss is such an ass!!!!

Just found out today that they're going to take a work experience type person on to
    cover for me. Think it might be a job bridge type thing. They won't pay anyone.
    That'll be fine over the summer when it's quiet, but when it gets busy again later in the year a work experience person won't be much good to them

It's interesting the difference now in recession times re how bosses are responding to the fact their employee is going off for 6mths. It also shows up how many of them just don't have experience with mat leave & can't be bothered sorting it out!
    The Magpie wrote: »
    Hi ladies
    Just wondering if anyone has started the dreaded task of packing their bag?

I'm probably the only one on here who hasn't done it yet, I'll probably pack them in the next two weeks or so. Aim to pack for the first 24-48hrs & then just leave stuff at home where your partner or family can bring it in if you're staying longer than 2 days. Also they can bring the dirty stuff home for the wash.
    And to top it all off, my car decided to not work yesterday evening. Mechanic reckons it will cost at least €700 to fix. I just came home and cried!

For the constipation, I found the juice of freshly squeezed oranges much more effective and proper brown bread with seeds and nuts in it.
    One advantage of the diabetes diet is that I'm eating much better and the constipation doesnt seem to effect me as badly anymore.

Cars just have this way of needing loads of stuff done to them at the worst times.

The annoying thing re the constipation is I'm normally really good with the fibre - brown bread, fruit, etc. I had a couple bad days where I ate some whitebread/pasta/more dairy & it just annihilated me! Will get that cereal Ginny was talking about & the juice & take it from there!
    barremic wrote: »
    That may explain the horrible nights sleep i had last night. My hips and pelvis have been bad for months, but I could barely make it across the landing to the loo last night, the pain was unreal and i wasnt sure my legs could take the extra weight. I was nearly going to have to bring my crutches upstairs, which i never do.

still on the home stretch now, and they are hoping i will only have to use both crutches for about 4 weeks after birth.

My sis was on crutches last few weeks before the birth & after cos of her hips. She had to stay on the couch all day downstairs, her OH took time off work (he was self employed) to look after her. She'd have to crawl up the stairs to go to bed at night. Luckily it sorted itself out after the birth.

What she did was go to sleep sitting up on a comfy armchair or the couch, then when she'd wake 1/2 way through the night for a pee, she'd get into bed. That way she wasn't spending so much time putting all that pressure on her hips in the bed. Worked for her anyway to get sleep.

I am asking my boss for a raise today.
    I've been here for 4 years and never received a raise, despite asking every 6 months.
    My boss doesnt even consider it, i just get told no. I get told that other companies within our group have gotten rid of their receptionist, so basically that i should be lucky to have a job. The thing is, if they did get rid of their receptionist here (i.e me) then i would still have enough to do here to constitute a full time job, so that excuse doesnt really wash with me. I went over his head once and asked for a raise, and he gave out to me for going to the MD.
    Anyway, if he just fobs me off with another excuse i will definately be looking to the dr to sign me out early, without training anyone new in, and i will look for a new job while i am on mat leave and hopefully not come back here. I hate him, and the worst thing is him and his wife are good friends with my sister, and i know him on a personal level with years and years apart from professional.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a crap situation. Haven't had a pay raise in probably 4 years - basically since recession began. And we got a 10% paycut across the boards earlier in the year (higher for management). Just with our sales, they don't have the money. I'm still going to look for something nearer to me & same or better money if I can for after mat leave.

It's awful when you know them personally as well. I went through a terrible situation a year ago where I took a break from current job to go work with some close friends. It ended up an absolute disaster and I came back to this job with my tail between my legs.

Advertisement