Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due July 2012 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

well, i just got back a very short but sweet "no" message - with the same "you are lucky to have a job" vibe to it.

Ah , well, i will have plenty time for interviews at the end of the year..and i will have no guilt telling my boss i'm leaving early with a dr. cert (if she gives me one! i could be eating my words yet!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

silly wrote: »
    well, i just got back a very short but sweet "no" message - with the same "you are lucky to have a job" vibe to it.

Ah , well, i will have plenty time for interviews at the end of the year..and i will have no guilt telling my boss i'm leaving early with a dr. cert (if she gives me one! i could be eating my words yet!)

I'd say ur doc will give u a cert no problem. My doc told me at the start that if work ever got too much on top of the pregnancy to
    Come back and get a cert!

A lot of places are just using recession as an excuse not to give pay rises. My particular office is in profit although sales have dropped but because we're part of a much larger group were being punished for them.
    I kicked up a stink last year coz I was doing twice the amount of work as my colleagues and two of them were earning a lot more than me. I was the most senior in the office but they had received higher salaries when doing other roles that had since Been cut.
    One boss told me that he had a family to support and his pay was relevant to that!
    I did get a pay rise in the end, but it wld have been far more two years ago.

I feel I'm stuck here for a while. I'd have to look to Dublin for work and while I wld have done it last year, I Cldnt commute over an hour there and an hour back with a small baby. It just wldnt be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mmmn..chicken

I slept through the night again last night. The only thing is that I think that I was really dehydrated so didn't need to pee as much. The penance for this is I had another very unfortunate constipation experience last night and I now definitely have haemmarhoids (or arse acorns as another boardsie Caprilicious calls them :cool:).

So I'm getting bran flakes & lots of fruit today! And I better get some sort of cream for them, they're very sore![/QUOTE

hey mink sounds like u are having a tough time of it!
    ask your nurse about fybogel or i think it can be bought over the counter
    ive been taking it for about 2 months now along with iron tabs daily
    its a natural fibre drink so no harm to babs
    hope that helps:)

great minds....
    i just got mine yesterday i was nervous about asking but she was very nice about it and gave me cert straight away. i have 5 weeks till due date so am delighted with the chance to get a bit of rest...best of luck:)

great minds....
    i just got mine yesterday i was nervous about asking but she was very nice about it and gave me cert straight away. i have 5 weeks till due date so am delighted with the chance to get a bit of rest...best of luck:)

What did you say to her for her to give you one?
    Like i'm actually fine, apart from being tired and getting slower each day...
    So i would have to tell a few white lies to get a cert i think.

• Advertisement

What did you say to her for her to give you one?
    Like i'm actually fine, apart from being tired and getting slower each day...
    So i would have to tell a few white lies to get a cert i think.

nah i wouldnt say anything untrue in case they think you are very bad and start doing tests. i just said im sick of it ,im tired and worried that im doing damage and stressed out over it all im having a very easy pregnancy by the way all ive had is piles,a bit of swelling on ankles last week during hot weather and the usual few aches and pains but nothing too bad ,but at the same time im pure wrecked from work so thought it was best to take it easy:)

sorry thats sounds like im gloating "im having a very easy pregnancy".....according to the doctors
    i havent stopped moaning since november...all the little things have me wrecked!!

nah i wouldnt say anything untrue in case they think you are very bad and start doing tests. i just said im sick of it ,im tired and worried that im doing damage and stressed out over it all im having a very easy pregnancy by the way all ive had is piles,a bit of swelling on ankles last week during hot weather and the usual few aches and pains but nothing too bad ,but at the same time im pure wrecked from work so thought it was best to take it easy:)

yeah, i'm having it very easy too, havent even had much swelling and no piles (yet!) but I am shattered.
    I will just tell her that the next time i see her, which is prob 2 weeks away now, as i have my hospital appointment next week. so the most i'll get with a cert is an extra week off. how bad.

yeah, i'm having it very easy too, havent even had much swelling and no piles (yet!) but I am shattered.
    I will just tell her that the next time i see her, which is prob 2 weeks away now, as i have my hospital appointment next week. so the most i'll get with a cert is an extra week off. how bad.

i was in limerick last friday and had check up 34wks
    doc said everything great...baby down and facing right way..bloods fine ...everything hunky dory
    went into work sat and had bh(id say all day) and when i got home i was wrecked from worrying about it all so made decision to see nurse and just ask her
    i was very surprised she was so nice about it all ill get certs week by week from now on so ill have to call back to see them weekly but im happy with that as it reassuring to have baby checked so often ....as it was it had turned yesterday so its back to back with me so i have to spend 15 mins on hands and knees each day to get it to turn round......hubby was chuffed until i told him im gonna spend it cleaning the skirting boards as they are filthy:)

anyway dont worry about asking....i was dreading it 2bhonest but am delighted i did now!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Just ask the hospital for a cert, Surely if you say the lower back pain is too bad to be sitting in an office/wherever you work, they can't disagree?

javagal wrote: »
    Just ask the hospital for a cert, Surely if you say the lower back pain is too bad to be sitting in an office/wherever you work, they can't disagree?

Thought that i would have to get it from dr? didnt think the hospital gave them, especially that i only go to midwives clinic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Silly I was with my Dr yesterday and she asked me did I want a cert to finish up work! A cert doesn't apply to me as I'm self employed and was working from a day to day basis. She was a bit worried about my headaches and didn't want me standing up all day or doing anything stressful. But as I finished up on Monday anyway it didn't matter. Nice of her to ask though!

I would just say you are wrecked tired and stressed out with work.

Silly, I agree with the other girls. Just tell ur doc exactly how u feel...stressed, tired etc and they will give u a cert.
    I think they can only give them week by week. A weeks rest will do you a world of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mamaheidi

Silly, I'm with the others on this. If you go to your doctor & tell her that you're feeling exhausted / stressed / overwhelmed etc. she will give you a cert - I'd go sooner rather than later too so that your boss will be more inclined to look for your replacement and I wouldn't think twice about it if I were in your position - your boss sounds like a right eejit.

Still no braxton hicks here. Woke up a couple of nights with what I think was a brief pain but have had none during the day so I'm wondering if I've dreamt it! :p

Finished up work & just my thesis to hand in now - don't know what I'll do with myself this time next week - might have to start the process of getting babs to arrive to keep me company! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

kildareash wrote: »
    I feel I'm stuck here for a while. I'd have to look to Dublin for work and while I wld have done it last year, I Cldnt commute over an hour there and an hour back with a small baby. It just wldnt be worth it.

I'm the same, don't want this long commute when I have a baby to collect from a minder/creche, barely get any time with him & have to put him to bed. Feck that, he might be the only kid I have so want to relish in it as much as financially affordable.

Woke up at 1.30 with awful heartburn, couldn't breathe properly & drowned in sweat. Had to go sit downstairs for an hour to cool down/chill. I wish I could get a cert for individual days like this where I really need to rest, whereas I'll be grand tomorrow to work.

My boss is off for 2.5 weeks right before I head for mat leave. I might say to him that there's a chance I'd have to sign off for the last week or two depending on how I'm holding up. By that stage I'll have everything well turned over so I think he'd be fine. I can just send the cert in to one of the other managers. I'm going to keep going as long as I can though as need the money!! But at the same time, if I'm really knackered & stressed & crampy near the end, I'm going to consider my & baby's health a priority & take the last bit off.

I was very close last night to saying to OH that I wanted to go to the hospital. Just got loads of braxton hicks in short space of time & just felt weird in my tummy & down there. It all calmed down though once I got up and walked around a little. I guess it's when it continues despite changing activity/position that you need to call someone (per the What to Expect book). Midwife coming to see me Friday so I may bring it up with her just so it's known.

Got my piles cream the other day. It has the charming name Anusol :o I feel the need to hide the tube in the bathroom. Why can't it be named something nice like daisy cream?

mamaheidi wrote: »
    Still no braxton hicks here. Woke up a couple of nights with what I think was a brief pain but have had none during the day so I'm wondering if I've dreamt it! :p

Finished up work & just my thesis to hand in now - don't know what I'll do with myself this time next week - might have to start the process of getting babs to arrive to keep me company! :p

Jealous!! Enjoy the time off

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Ughhhhhhhhhhh I'm sorta the same have had a easy enough pregnancy, but it's all the niggly things.
    My commute is over an hour each way, my back is killing me from sitting at a desk all day, my hips and pelvis hurt when I walk. My sinuses are fecked, my nose is either bleeding or completely stuffed up.
    I'm not getting enough sleep at all, I'm so much more rested at the weekends when I can sit on the couch for a few hours a day with my legs up. To top it off, this morning my knee is sore, I think I wrenched it during the night turning!

Ginny wrote: »
    Ughhhhhhhhhhh I'm sorta the same have had a easy enough pregnancy, but it's all the niggly things.
    My commute is over an hour each way, my back is killing me from sitting at a desk all day, my hips and pelvis hurt when I walk. My sinuses are fecked, my nose is either bleeding or completely stuffed up.
    I'm not getting enough sleep at all, I'm so much more rested at the weekends when I can sit on the couch for a few hours a day with my legs up. To top it off, this morning my knee is sore, I think I wrenched it during the night turning!

I'm exactly the same as all this, though my commute is probably 40 minutes now that I'm driving rather than getting train.

I find the sinuses thing really bugs me at night, it's hard enough getting a deep breath, it really stresses me out. Can't do any deep yoga-type breathing as nose just won't work.

As an aside, bizarrely, I worked out how much I spent in petrol for the car in one week commuting versus the train (including petrol to get to station, parking, train ticket etc) and driving into work has worked out 10 euros cheaper than public transport :eek: I think I may have said this already - probably on the FB group :cool:

Mink wrote: »
    I'm the same, don't want this long commute when I have a baby to collect from a minder/creche, barely get any time with him & have to put him to bed. Feck that, he might be the only kid I have so want to relish in it as much as financially affordable.

Woke up at 1.30 with awful heartburn, couldn't breathe properly & drowned in sweat. Had to go sit downstairs for an hour to cool down/chill. I wish I could get a cert for individual days like this where I really need to rest, whereas I'll be grand tomorrow to work.

My boss is off for 2.5 weeks right before I head for mat leave. I might say to him that there's a chance I'd have to sign off for the last week or two depending on how I'm holding up. By that stage I'll have everything well turned over so I think he'd be fine. I can just send the cert in to one of the other managers. I'm going to keep going as long as I can though as need the money!! But at the same time, if I'm really knackered & stressed & crampy near the end, I'm going to consider my & baby's health a priority & take the last bit off.

I was very close last night to saying to OH that I wanted to go to the hospital. Just got loads of braxton hicks in short space of time & just felt weird in my tummy & down there. It all calmed down though once I got up and walked around a little. I guess it's when it continues despite changing activity/position that you need to call someone (per the What to Expect book). Midwife coming to see me Friday so I may bring it up with her just so it's known.

Got my piles cream the other day. It has the charming name Anusol :o I feel the need to hide the tube in the bathroom. Why can't it be named something nice like daisy cream?

I remember being on holidays a few years ago with a friend and she got a deadful cold sore, so we went to the chemist to get some cream for it. We were mortified when the chemist kept on saying 'herpes' to her, as she was trying to explain what she wanted. I had to walk out of the shop! I think even the box had some reference to herpes...needless to say it was buried in the bottom of our bag on the beach.

I thought I was getting BH, but I haven't had any really bad ones in about two weeks, I'd say. Last ones I remember were during the hot weather.

I think next week or the week after, I'm going to start the raspberry leaf tea and the yoga instructor recommended some oil that you can massage in or have in a bath or an oil burner, so I'll be getting that too! She also recommended squatting for getting baby to come down. I think I'd be pretty open to any suggestion at this stage to get labour to start naturally. I really want to avoid being induced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I just cut like 4 inches off my hair: I can honestly say the first time I've felt "normal" in months :D Also now I won't have as much frizzy hair in the hosp!!

Very vain, but has anyone thought about the hair situation in the hospital?

I've the type of hair you have to do something with, but i don't want to be just leaving it in pony tails and plaits. I wld normally just put some curly moose in, and it will curl, but it's gone a bit heavy for that now and I don't want to get it cut because I'm afraid it will thin out too much then after the birth.
    I want to look half decent for visitors and pics (oh god, I'm not normally this vain!).

Will I even care once I'm in there?
    Has anyone else even thought about this?

• Advertisement

kildareash wrote: »
    Very vain, but has anyone thought about the hair situation in the hospital?

I've the type of hair you have to do something with, but i don't want to be just leaving it in pony tails and plaits. I wld normally just put some curly moose in, and it will curl, but it's gone a bit heavy for that now and I don't want to get it cut because I'm afraid it will thin out too much then after the birth.
    I want to look half decent for visitors and pics (oh god, I'm not normally this vain!).

Will I even care once I'm in there?
    Has anyone else even thought about this?

my hair is very thick, so if i can wash it before heading to the hospital then i wont need to wash it while i am there...
    but my hair needs to be straighted or it will be frizzy, but i reckon i will just tie it back and that will have to do. takes too long to straighten it.

but the vain person in me has bought bb cream to put on after the birth for visitors/pics.

for sure im bringing the hair straighteners and plenty of make up
    im not normally great with this sort of thing but im thinking if you are in pain everywhere else it cant hurt to doll up a little to make yourself feel better.

was watching one born the other night and yer one was having her toenail varnish removed for epidural .....is this true(i know you cant have it for other operations but is it necessary for epi.....im not taking any chances:))

The vain person in me has pretty hairbands and plenty of hair serum in my hosp bag: realistically I'm not going to be able to blow dry my hair and then turn around and straighten it... also pretty pj's with button down tops for breast feeding. I have turbany hair towels too just in case baby decides the time I go for a shower is the time she wants to be fed! And dry hair shampoo too :p

I have thick hair: i'm really not worried about losing some: it might be abit of a relief actually :D

I'd imagine the no nail varnish thing is in case you might need an emergency sections or in case something goes wrong? I wouldn't take the risk anyway: and noone will be looking at your toes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

never knew that about nail varnish, ill do without so.

luckily i have curly hair so i never really blow dry it anyway, bit of mousse and its tame ish!
    im just bringing concealor and Mascara.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Cold sores are a strain of herpes (herpes simplex or something like that) Europeans don't really call them anything else :)

Our midwife said no nail varnish on nails or toes! She said so many women treat themselves and get their nails done but it has to be removed....she was talking about labour in general but I guess they don't know who will end up with epi, emergency section including a possible general anesthetic so it's a rule for all!

Re hair it will be towel dry & leave in conditioner for me! I'll have enough to be getting on with without worrying about anything else...the hair turban towel is a good idea! Must pack one :)

Cyning where did you pick up the pretty PJs with button down tops? I'm hoping to get similar for hospital stay :)

Has anyone looked at/ thought about/ bought a glider or rocking chair for feeding?

Just noticed one born is on more4 tonight at 10! Not sure if it's new or repeat as I don't watch them much but the avid fans will know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭tinkerbell79

As far as I can remember I painted my toe nails before having the boys never thought it wouldn't be allowed and I had epi and I don't remember having to remove it... Said it to oh and he said same maybe depends on nurse or midwife u get or with a caesarean it's the open wound rather than wat anesthic you have? :) I had the epi but deliver naturally so no caesarean...

Had docs appointment yesterday and scan today to check my placenta had moved up alls well so I'm happy :D:D oh and babs is head down for last 2 weeks hasn't moved!!!

Got them in dunnes... They were the only place I could find them!

I'd love one of those rocking chairs but I have no space for it :( well I would in the kitchen or upstairs but realistically babs getting fed in sitting room!!

• Advertisement

Never thought of the dry shampoo, must get a bottle.
    Im trying to practice putting in side plaits myself so at least if I do end up tying it up it will look nice from the front.
    I just don't want to look at pics and think I look like crap.
    Don't generally wear make up during the day but might get some tinted moisturiser and just use that with a bit of blush if I'm looking a bit washed out.

Advertisement