Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due July 2012 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Just don't spray the dry hair shampoo on the ward!

I must throw tinted moisturiser in bag: I'm not sure I'll use it but really don't want to look like crap in babs first photos... Although bet I won't care once the time comes :)

I am dreaming of goats cheese, smoked salmon and a 99... How sad is that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

kildareash wrote: »
    Never thought of the dry shampoo, must get a bottle.
    Im trying to practice putting in side plaits myself so at least if I do end up tying it up it will look nice from the front.
    I just don't want to look at pics and think I look like crap.
    Don't generally wear make up during the day but might get some tinted moisturiser and just use that with a bit of blush if I'm looking a bit washed out.

Kildare ash, forgot to change my bloody hospital appointment so ill miss that class tomorrow, can you send me the maternity department number she said she was giving out?

so desperately nauseas at the minute Urgh,

anyone else starting to get nervous for the routine hospital appointments. just that at any point they could just go , were bringing you in !

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Are we not supposed to eat 99's ??? I know about the smoked salmon but i get round the goats cheese by toasting it.

Im trying to practice putting in side plaits myself so at least if I do end up tying it up it will look nice from the front.
    Don't generally wear make up during the day but might get some tinted moisturiser and just use that with a bit of blush if I'm looking a bit washed out.

Kildare ash, forgot to change my bloody hospital appointment so ill miss that class tomorrow, can you send me the maternity department number she said she was giving out?

anyone else starting to get nervous for the routine hospital appointments. just that at any point they could just go , were bringing you in !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

javagal wrote: »

Oh no, you're going to miss one of them on a bed giving birth!!!
    I'll get u a copy of the handout they were talking about the last day.

I get nervous before every hospital appt, even just seeing the nurse panics me. I always fear the worst even though I can feel baby moving around!

• Advertisement

Oh no, you're going to miss one of them on a bed giving birth!!!
    I'll get u a copy of the handout they were talking about the last day.

I get nervous before every hospital appt, even just seeing the nurse panics me. I always fear the worst even though I can feel baby moving around!

especially cause in portlaoise there's one older nurse who is, excuse my French, a bitch!

tomorrow is the first day I've to go on my own too, so , naturally Im expecting something bad lol!

Nope not supposed to: but it's one of those things with me: I'm not 100% great with my stomach my immune system is shot to pieces so risk would be higher than if I was "normal"!! I've yet to hear of anybody actually getting sick from a frigging 99 though: though knowing my luck I would!!

The top of my bump is so soft now compared with how hard it is lower... Mad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I'm very much a wash and go kinda gal - I prefer my hair dried naturally, so won't need much more than a brush. Although, I am certainly bringing in my Benefit Primpcess set and some lip gloss - drab to fab in under 5 mins :D

My morning sickness has returned with a vengeance - and because it takes me so much longer to get out of bed in the morning, it ain't pretty. I could really do without that right now. And today, my lower abdomen hurts so much when I walk around... fine when i'm standing still or sitting, but I'm walking like a little old lady, complete with mutters and groaning sound effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Kash wrote: »
    I'm very much a wash and go kinda gal - I prefer my hair dried naturally, so won't need much more than a brush. Although, I am certainly bringing in my Benefit Primpcess set and some lip gloss - drab to fab in under 5 mins :D

My morning sickness has returned with a vengeance - and because it takes me so much longer to get out of bed in the morning, it ain't pretty. I could really do without that right now. And today, my lower abdomen hurts so much when I walk around... fine when i'm standing still or sitting, but I'm walking like a little old lady, complete with mutters and groaning sound effects.

Meet ur sister. I'm in bits when I try to walk. Even standing in the shower was uncomfortable.

It'll be interesting to see how many of us actually are bothered/have the time to have out hair all pretty and faces on when we are actually in hospital! It's not something I normally worry about, can't believe that I'm thinking about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Kash & Kildareash - I had the same problem until I got a belly support band from mothercare (€15), it's their own brand M2B and just supports your bump when walking so that your belly muscles aren't taking all the strain :) I find it really helpful!

• Advertisement

notsobusy wrote: »
    Are we not supposed to eat 99's ??? I know about the smoked salmon but i get round the goats cheese by toasting it.

Notsobusy no you shouldn't really be eating 99s (or any soft serve icecream) as the machines can harbour the listeria bacteria which you are more susceptible to when pregnant & is not something you would want to pick up. I love 99s and it is probably the one thing I miss while pregnant esp on a sunny day :)

Soft serve machines are a pain to keep clean but they have to be meticulously clean to keep bugs at bay & so in some cases bacteria lives away happily. Like everything if it was kept as it should be there wouldn't be a problem but you simply can't trust that while pregnant :)

Back from hospital-took AGES today!!

Had the most lovely Irish lady doctor who took ages showing me scan and trying to confirm zoe's a female(she couldn't).
    Baby is measuring 38 weeks so a week ahead and estimated weight 6.8 lbs :O

Baby's head is literally as low as I thought it would be at birth time. like literally it was about 4 inches from where head will come out lol

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭NyquistFreak

Dry shampoo, unreal idea! I hadn't really thought of it til now (seriously only heading out later to start looking for hospital bag stuff, actually hopeless like!) but this has made me feel a bit better, festival fit for hospital, haha! dry shampoo and head scarves with plaits all the way! Hats! etc. My hair is really thick and down past my hips at this stage, seriously not looking forward to having to deal with that in hospital! Or sitting around with a wet head, I'd drown the baby with it.

I had no idea about the ice cream thing either, is the stuff you buy in the tub in the supermarket alright? Eh. oops.

Javagal I'm really starting to freak out about the hospital visits and impending d-day, doesn't help my gps office are messers and couldn't get me in for an appointment this week til last thing Friday, with a doctor I've never met before, and I've the hospital first thing Monday morning, I MAY have taken a fit madness at it and thrown a bit of a wobbler at poor boyfriend about how disgustingly unprepared we are for all this. Seriously, someone needs to slap some sense into me!

Baby was a sideways breech last time he was checked (by midwife, not seen a doctor in quite some time actually) so hoping he's turned now when they check again Monday -36 weeks, cos more than anything now I'm afraid of starting labour and he's the wrong way round. or being brought in quite for a section cos they can't turn him. Also, he's massive. The Fear.

I know most of you here plan on breast feeding, but if you're not do you need to bring bottles and formula and all that with you in the hospital bag does anyone know?

Finally got my maternity letter: going to have almost an extra €80 a week now woohoo :)

Hubby is convinced (convinced) im going to have baby today: he doesn't know why he just thinks I am: I keep trying to tell him it doesn't work like that: but I swear if he rings me again :rolleyes:

Java that great news about your scan!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WWC1

I'm soooooo sick of bursting to go to the loo, rushing off and then only a teeny tiny drop coming out (sorry TMI) and still feeling like I have to go when I stand up.
    Tired of being so tired too

Sorry for moaning, feeling a bit blue today.

My dd has taken to getting up at 6 every morning and I'm just a bit knackered and weepy.

Nothing a chocolate crossiant won't sort out

Dry shampoo, unreal idea! I hadn't really thought of it til now (seriously only heading out later to start looking for hospital bag stuff, actually hopeless like!) but this has made me feel a bit better, festival fit for hospital, haha! dry shampoo and head scarves with plaits all the way! Hats! etc. My hair is really thick and down past my hips at this stage, seriously not looking forward to having to deal with that in hospital! Or sitting around with a wet head, I'd drown the baby with it.

I had no idea about the ice cream thing either, is the stuff you buy in the tub in the supermarket alright? Eh. oops.

Javagal I'm really starting to freak out about the hospital visits and impending d-day, doesn't help my gps office are messers and couldn't get me in for an appointment this week til last thing Friday, with a doctor I've never met before, and I've the hospital first thing Monday morning, I MAY have taken a fit madness at it and thrown a bit of a wobbler at poor boyfriend about how disgustingly unprepared we are for all this. Seriously, someone needs to slap some sense into me!

Baby was a sideways breech last time he was checked (by midwife, not seen a doctor in quite some time actually) so hoping he's turned now when they check again Monday -36 weeks, cos more than anything now I'm afraid of starting labour and he's the wrong way round. or being brought in quite for a section cos they can't turn him. Also, he's massive. The Fear.

I know most of you here plan on breast feeding, but if you're not do you need to bring bottles and formula and all that with you in the hospital bag does anyone know?

No, you don't need to bring any formula/bottles, hospitals have all the ready made stuff cause it's more sterile!!

Cyning, my oh is convinced I'm going on the 26th, he has a concert to go to that day. He's not bothered about missing it but he doesn't wanna go and then have the guilt of leaving me-poor men it must be sooo stressful :rolleyes:!!

I also have the swidgey top bump you were talking about. All under my boobs and ribs is just flesh and then it's like rock!!!

So buzzed that baby is in the perfect position, doctor said getting on the birthing ball to bring head down is grand so project eviction starts sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 barremic

What's everyone using to keep soothers sterile
    for the hospital? The mw said there is no facilities for sterilizing in the hospital.And if breast feeding doesn't workout, I'd like to have some with me

The things they worry about :)

I'm actually wandering around doing nothing because I'm so uncomfortable... There is just no way to get comfortable! I have GP tomorrow and hospital Tues. I've spent so long wishing for her to stay in and now I'm wishing for her to come out!

I have 4 soothers in my bag: tbh I hadn't even thought about keeping them sterile... I plan on using them breastfeeding or not... aagh something else to worry about!!

Our midwife said its best not to give a baby a soother for the first 6 weeks (she might have said 3) if you are breast feeding as they can suck any ole way on them :)
    If bottle feeding & want to use soothers you could buy these little balls by Milton - they are designed for hanging off your buggy etc & sterilise a soother in 15mins :) I'll look up the name & edit this post but I'm def getting one for the buggy so that if a soother goes flying I have a sterile spare :D

They are called Milton Mini Soother Steriliser, come in a variety of colours & I've seen them in several pharmacies as well as amazon :)

• Advertisement

That's exactly what I'm talking about :) brilliant little invention if you ask me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭tinkerbell79

barremic wrote: »
    What's everyone using to keep soothers sterile
    for the hospital? The mw said there is no facilities for sterilizing in the hospital.And if breast feeding doesn't workout, I'd like to have some with me

Im in drogheda hosp and they give u a plastic pot with a lid on it for keepin soothers sterilizes think its milton and water in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭tinkerbell79

No, you don't need to bring any formula/bottles, hospitals have all the ready made stuff cause it's more sterile!!

Cyning, my oh is convinced I'm going on the 26th, he has a concert to go to that day. He's not bothered about missing it but he doesn't wanna go and then have the guilt of leaving me-poor men it must be sooo stressful :rolleyes:!!

I also have the swidgey top bump you were talking about. All under my boobs and ribs is just flesh and then it's like rock!!!

So buzzed that baby is in the perfect position, doctor said getting on the birthing ball to bring head down is grand so project eviction starts sunday!

Java what do u do on the birthing ball 2 encourage them 2 move down jist wonderin if wat im doing for back and pelvis pain works or is there a particular way 2 do it.... thanks

Pretty much i just girate and rock back and forth with my legs far apart, find it best for my back- doesnt seem like itd do much but the relief is crazy!

Bouncing up and down will bring the head down, seems to have worked wonders with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

TwoMums2Be wrote: »
    Kash & Kildareash - I had the same problem until I got a belly support band from mothercare (€15), it's their own brand M2B and just supports your bump when walking so that your belly muscles aren't taking all the strain :) I find it really helpful!

I have this support belt from Mothercare but it cost me €50 :eek: I've not needed to use it in ages but when I was in a bad way it was a godsend. I'll probably sell it after baby comes.

The fully frozen stuff in tubs (ie; Ben & Jerry's, Haagendaz etc) is fine. I've eaten vats of it since getting pregnant. But it's fully frozen and packaged in a sterile way.

The soft stuff is gotten out of these machines that may not have been cleaned properly this century :confused:
    WWC1 wrote: »
    I'm soooooo sick of bursting to go to the loo, rushing off and then only a teeny tiny drop coming out (sorry TMI) and still feeling like I have to go when I stand up.
    Tired of being so tired too

Sorry for moaning, feeling a bit blue today.

My dd has taken to getting up at 6 every morning and I'm just a bit knackered and weepy.

Nothing a chocolate crossiant won't sort out

Oh I had some days like this the other week, it's not nice. I did find that having a rest and eating a bit more helped. I think I was rundown & since I'm preg I actually get angry & weepy when blood sugar goes a bit low.
    barremic wrote: »
    The mw said there is no facilities for sterilizing in the hospital.

That seems mad that they wouldn't, seeing as it's full of newborns. But now that I think about it, I don't remember how the bottles were being done for my sister's baby when she was in the hospital with her wee boy.

I'm afraid to admit that I will have full make up with me if I go to the hospital. I'm terrible, the lights don't go on in the house without me having my slap on. For instance, I didn't leave the house for the entire weekend but I had make up on the whole time (apart from bedtime of course). My sister is the same, I just feel naked without it on. If I'm sick or feeling poorly & staying in jammies all day, I still put my makeup on as it makes me feel better.

Now I don't go round staring in mirrors or anything, I've just been like this since I was 13, I never went to school or work without makeup on. When I was 18/19 I went a full year without wearing it and it made absolutely no difference to my skin, the foundation actually provides a barrier from outside irritants - again my sister is the same and she sleeps with her makeup on!

My hair is quite thick so I'd get 3 days out of a wash & blow dry, but I think I'd just have to manage without blow drying it straight if was in hospital - it looks terrible dried naturally.

Re the nail varnish, the reason you have to take it off is that if you ended up with an emergency C section & were under general anaesthetic, the anaesthesist has to check your finger nails and toe nails as part of estimating how oxygenated your blood is etc. Like if your nails went very pale, this wouldn't be a good sign. (My mam was an anaesthesist :))

God love whoever has to remove a Shellac manicure off a patient.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I asked at my antenatal class last week about the nail varnish and she looked at me as if I had two heads. Said it wouldn't be an issue, hopefully it won't be, I currently have bright red Shellac on my fingers and toes, and the toes should last the 6 weeks!
    I have really really curly hair, I'm hoping to have a chance to straighten it before I go into hosp. It can last a week without a wash (knacker I know) when it's straightened once I use dry shampoo, naturally my hair is really dry so doesn't get greasy really.

I have a mini make-up bag that I use for work, it will be coming with me, with Mac mineralise skinfinish benefit's powdawowzer, mascara, eyebrow kit and concealer, on and my always carried Carmax...:D

I don't really do make up: and I think I might have worn it twice since I got pregnant! I reckon the reason I'm worried about the way I'm going to look now is because I don't want to worry about the birth :p

Ginny wrote: »
    I'm hoping to have a chance to straighten it before I go into hosp. It can last a week without a wash (knacker I know) when it's straightened once I use dry shampoo, naturally my hair is really dry so doesn't get greasy really.

I know a couple girls that can get away with this, count yourself lucky. It's an absolute pain in the hole even having to wash & dry it twice a week like me.
    cyning wrote: »
    I don't really do make up: and I think I might have worn it twice since I got pregnant! I reckon the reason I'm worried about the way I'm going to look now is because I don't want to worry about the birth :p

Again count yourself lucky re the makeup, you've saved yourself a fortune and probably a year of your life applying make up daily like me!

• Advertisement

Mink - the €50 one helps back pain...it's a mad looking contraption :) the one I have doesn't support your back it just supports the bump! Think of over the bump jeans without the jeans :)

Cyning - I'm the same re make up :)

My hair is total fly away hair & I have to pretty much wash it everyday! Not because it gets greasy but just to tame it :)

Advertisement