Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due July 2012 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WWC1

Mink wrote: »
    That consultant was a bit of a smart arse! I hope it was said in a nice way. I'd say you'll go before your sweep!

Mink - he thought himself a comedian allright. When I asked how soon after the sweep I should expect things to start he said "hopefully this year". Hilarious:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Really hope I go before the sweep.

Re your sis in law, do what suits you and OH. Ye and baby come first and you won't get that time back again.
    cyning wrote: »
    My little girl seems really content since I'm not dehydrated any more :rolleyes: I was so sure she was on her way then! Trust me it will make my life the day she gets here :)

I am also dying not to worry about puking every day!! I'm not sure about the saint/medical miracle part though I'm not that bad am I??!!

WWC1 at 6lb 2 oz and another few weeks to go you could be very surprised yet!

I know, baby will be putting on weight till d-day :) My first baby was 6lb 9oz though so wouldn't expect a 10lb'r this time ...I hope!!!!

You're not bad at all, you've just had a rollercoaster pregnancy. It's a long 9 months but not much longer now till she's in your arms x

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭NyquistFreak

Ginny wrote: »
    Mink I felt the exact same for months, not able to relate to the baby, and I felt awful for it! I got pregnant so easily, have had it relatively easy and I still wasn't happy. I don't think it was until I was 23/24 weeks that I finally started seeing this little person as a little person, rather then something taking over my body. I'm not vain at all but the lack of control over everything was hard for me.

See I don't actually know if I am relating to the baby or not. OH talks to him the odd time, I just don't know how to. I just can't get into the habit of talking to him. How I communicate with him is when I feel him squirming, I give him a good rub on the butt & tap his feet when they stick out. I only get time to do this at night when in bed. That will probably end up being our baby massage time after he arrives.

I still see him a little as taking over my body, but not neccessarily in a resentful way. I kind of look at him as doing me a service, I really wanted to get pregnant & have a baby & he is certainly facilitating me & I know he'll give me a huge amount back in terms of joy (sorry, getting mushy now) even through the rough patches.

I am a little bit vain so the lack of body control & issues does get to me. I was giving out about my stretch marks again & OH was saying I should immortalise them in a painting :rolleyes:

Mink, this exactly. I'm afraid of feeling the same when he gets out too, though I know the natural instincts will kick in eventually! Then other days I worry that he hears me giving out about him making me sore and uncomfortable and things, actually all over the place with it like! I think its kind of natural though, I mean the transition from them being a chemical reaction in our bodies to being little people of their own is so slow, and has so many side effects we'd only relate to as to being ill if we've never experienced anything like this before, we're bound to be confused and a bit all over the place for a while! Like I said though, I really appreciate how lucky we are to be able to come on here and *itch about it all to one another and realise we're not alone in some of our worries, I can only imagine going through all this thinking you're the only one!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

NyquistFreak - no bother :) she is a lovely doc/person! She did say, you suffer a little bit afterwards but what does that matter for the safety of your baby (when needed)...which is true.

Your guy is a big boy so he may not have room to turn easily at this stage but don't go reading Internet horror stories. I've known several section births (both emergency & planned) and none of them have been horror stories :)

How I look at it is that I want my baby here as safely as possible by any means :) She has given me a very easy journey so far so if she needs to arrive via the window so be it :)

via the window, ha! I like that :)

I think what helps me enjoy my pregnancy even more so is having friends who after 8 years & I'd terrify you with the bill still don't have the child they would give anything for...it really makes you truly see what a privilege it is to be able to have children :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

WWC1 wrote: »
    Mink - he thought himself a comedian allright. When I asked how soon after the sweep I should expect things to start he said "hopefully this year". Hilarious:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Really hope I go before the sweep.

Geez, did he follow that with a "Thankyou, I'll be here all week" & drumroll.

I've no patience for that in a professional unless I'm really really friendly with them.
    TwoMums2Be wrote: »
    She has given me a very easy journey so far so if she needs to arrive via the window so be it :)

Haha, very good.
    Yeah the vast majority of sections I've heard of went pretty much by the book & usual recovery so I wouldn't worry about it at all Nyquist.

TwoMums2Be wrote: »
    I think what helps me enjoy my pregnancy even more so is having friends who after 8 years & I'd terrify you with the bill still don't have the child they would give anything for...it really makes you truly see what a privilege it is to be able to have children :)

Good point. I try to whinge about any discomforts in front of people I don't know really well as you never know who is having trouble getting pregnant & they are not going to appreciate you giving out when they'd give literally anything for a baby - and that could have easily been me, I was lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

BreechFace

Haha brilliant :D I don't think it'd go down so well if I started to call my baby Pukeface though :P

My cleaner has just got me to set up an email address for her, register her Supervalu Real Rewards card, set up said email address to her phone and print something out for her: I swear sometimes I wonder who's paying who!

:D Cyning I think you need to go into a barter system with her...she cleans...you deal with her technology issues...no payment required by either party!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

had my mam up last night. it's really stressing me how overbearing she'll be come labor time.
    she wants oh to ring her when im going in so she can be close to see the baby.
    tried to explain to her that the hospital won't let her in other than visiting hours even if she is my mam. she reckons the hospital Will let her wait in the waiting room , i told her they won't,but there is no telling her anything.
    i told her to ring and ask hospital because they'll tell her straight but i really feel she's gonna wreck my ohs head,ive told him he'll just have to tell her to back off but i dont wanna stress him out,its his time too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mamaheidi

Java that sounds like a bit of a nightmare - I think it could be more pressure on you than support knowing that she's waiting there to get in to you to be honest. Could you get away with telling her when your baby is born?

I'm lucky in some ways that our families don't live near us so we can sort of get away with not telling people we're going into hospital. I think it would a very long day on my parents like that waiting for news from us so I think it's best to just ring when she arrives. Plus I don't want them worrying or texting my OH when I need him to be there for me. Saying that though I do get very frequent texts from my mum lately so I'm sure that if I don't reply for a couple of hours her imagination goes into overdrive!

My Oh's sister is a nurse & keeps saying that she'll get in to visit us (she doesn't work in Holles St) which is kind of annoying me because if my family can't visit then I certainly don't want her there... she doesn't have children but has recently become an expert on pregnancy and all things baby - new tips for me every time I see her.. :mad: and breathe!!

javagal wrote: »
    had my mam up last night. it's really stressing me how overbearing she'll be come labor time.
    tried to explain to her that the hospital won't let her in other than visiting hours even if she is my mam. she reckons the hospital Will let her wait in the waiting room , i told her they won't,but there is no telling her anything.
    i told her to ring and ask hospital because they'll tell her straight but i really feel she's gonna wreck my ohs head,ive told him he'll just have to tell her to back off but i dont wanna stress him out,its his time too.

Well if you've tried talking to her about it and she's still having none of it I'd say let your OH ring her as ye arrive at hospital and then turn off his (and your) phone as ye go in so as not to be disturbed. Dead right its his time too, and I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time hospital staff had to explain that situation to a protective granny to be! Lovely thing about hospitals too is all those signs telling you to turn off your phone near the equipment :D
    Not that I'm condoning humouring people to save hassle while passing them off for other people to deal with...hehe. But seriously, the two of ye will be distracted enough when little Zoe does decide to show up ye won't have time to be worrying about it in fairness!

Well if you've tried talking to her about it and she's still having none of it I'd say let your OH ring her as ye arrive at hospital and then turn off his (and your) phone as ye go in so as not to be disturbed. Dead right its his time too, and I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time hospital staff had to explain that situation to a protective granny to be! Lovely thing about hospitals too is all those signs telling you to turn off your phone near the equipment :D
    Not that I'm condoning humouring people to save hassle while passing them off for other people to deal with...hehe. But seriously, the two of ye will be distracted enough when little Zoe does decide to show up ye won't have time to be worrying about it in fairness!

Think she just feels the need to look after me as she raised me by herself, but she seriously needs to let go.
    I could not of gotten a more gentle and supportive oh,but she still thinks she should be included too.
    I think I'll ring her before I leave for hospital and tell her theres no point in coming up till visiting hours as they won't let her in. if she insists on coming up,the hospital won't let her in in anyway so she'll waste a 40min drive and she'll get a picture message, just like my ohs mam!

dont want her there anyway. i know she's my mam but still, dont want that pressure and just want my time with my new family before everyone shows up.

Think she just feels the need to look after me as she raised me by herself, but she seriously needs to let go.
    I could not of gotten a more gentle and supportive oh,but she still thinks she should be included too.
    I think I'll ring her before I leave for hospital and tell her theres no point in coming up till visiting hours as they won't let her in. if she insists on coming up,the hospital won't let her in in anyway so she'll waste a 40min drive and she'll get a picture message, just like my ohs mam!

dont want her there anyway. i know she's my mam but still, dont want that pressure and just want my time with my new family before everyone shows up.

Totally understandable. I know my own mother might possibly be this way too, we're really trying to down play it though, to be honest, its once we get baby home I could see it being a problem for us! But it would be worse if they showed no interest at all I suppose, and we'll probably develop the same over protective thing for our own little ones when its their turn! No harm letting the hospital deal with her either if she does show up looking to get in, all you can do is warn her it might be a wasted trip, its up to her whether she wants to take that risk with her own time after that. Try not to let it stress you out anyway lady :)

Java, just don't tell her when you go into labour. Call her after baby born & an hour before visiting time starts :D. Also I know in the Rotunda they ask that visitors only stay 20 mins if on their own, 30 mins for a couple & that includes grandparents as far as I know.

Having been a birth partner, I have first hand experience of what a complete pain in the ass it is to be texting people & calling them etc. Even though we were in the hospital from about 3/4am until she had the baby that night at 9.30pm, I found it impossible to find the time to text other family members. All my attention was on her. I got out maybe twice to stuff my gob & certainly didn't want to be calling people.

When she was on the pre-natal ward (in the throes of labour, waiting for a delivery room) her dad (we have different dads) showed up. Somehow he had gotten past security and had planted himself in the corridor. I had to get him to understand (in a nice way) that she was not accepting visitors. I was really surprised that he thought he should just show up. His heart was in the right place though!!

My other sister who was in the UK was texting me throughout the labour giving me instructions about not letting them give her pethedine or too much gas or tell them this & that. I felt like killing her. Had to turn it off when got up to delivery suite anyway thank god.

Moral of the story, don't tell anyone you're in labour unless you want texts every hour. Your OH will not be in the slightest bit interested in answering them.

But of course tell us on Boards :pac: We don't have your number so we won't bother you!

Java, just don't tell her when you go into labour. Call her after baby born & an hour before visiting time starts :D. Also I know in the Rotunda they ask that visitors only stay 20 mins if on their own, 30 mins for a couple & that includes grandparents as far as I know.

Having been a birth partner, I have first hand experience of what a complete pain in the ass it is to be texting people & calling them etc. Even though we were in the hospital from about 3/4am until she had the baby that night at 9.30pm, I found it impossible to find the time to text other family members. All my attention was on her. I got out maybe twice to stuff my gob & certainly didn't want to be calling people.

When she was on the pre-natal ward (in the throes of labour, waiting for a delivery room) her dad (we have different dads) showed up. Somehow he had gotten past security and had planted himself in the corridor. I had to get him to understand (in a nice way) that she was not accepting visitors. I was really surprised that he thought he should just show up. His heart was in the right place though!!

My other sister who was in the UK was texting me throughout the labour giving me instructions about not letting them give her pethedine or too much gas or tell them this & that. I felt like killing her. Had to turn it off when got up to delivery suite anyway thank god.

Moral of the story, don't tell anyone you're in labour unless you want texts every hour. Your OH will not be in the slightest bit interested in answering them.

But of course tell us on Boards :pac: We don't have your number so we won't bother you!

lol maybe ill text one of you and you can text my mam :-)
    she just wants to be the first person other than himself to meet zoe,i can understand that but **** it, i need rest and im gonna enjoy my alone time as a Mammy before b zoo arrives!

i was putting off thinking this even tho i knew exactly how she is!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭tinkerbell79

Congrats not so, well done!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saurelin

Java I will tell my mum and oh familly after baby will be here.
    I know them well and they would drive hubby mad.
    My sis arrived to Dublin today.
    She had 2 full suitcases if baby clothes.
    Honestly if there was mistake and my little girl is a boy I will put sone of those dresses anyway ;-)

My sister 6 months old baby girl is so cute and smiling a lot and 4 year old loves my cats. he told me today You look beautiful. you are not fat. :-D
    and he hugs me

Anyway Im tired
    i spend to much time cleaning home and cooking
    tomorrow I have hospital app so I hope I will be able to get info re baby size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I am oh so tired...
    The thunder storm last night was unreal. Never heard the thunder so loud, and the lightening was so....flashy!! Was thinking if I went into labour it would be like something from the omen!!

Kept me awake for a good few hours. Can't believe today is only Thursday!

Mink, I think honesty is the best policy with your sis. I'm sure she'll understand though, if you just tell her that her help would be more appreciated when your oh goes back to work.

Although I should really take my own advice. I asked my sister for a few crib sheets ( she gave me a crib and a Moses basket) and she ended up clearing out her attic. I got so much pink and blue blankets, clothes, cot bumpers etc.( so can only use half of them) she gave me a bag of stuffed toys ( no offence to her like, but i'm sure my son/daughter will have their own toys) and a buggy hood and foot muff ( I already have them for my own buggy) a bottle steriliser ( which I told her I already have) that stuff I don't want/need. And about 7 crib sheets.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Ended up sleep in the spare bed in the nursery, I think I got a better nights sleep, even though the rain woke me up. My hips didn't go into spasm, so that was good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mamaheidi

Hi ladies,

Just wondering has anybody any suggestions on how to get rid of a manky headcold? This is day 3 now & it's driving me insane, no sleep, runny nose & generally feeling sorry for myself. I'm annoyed because I'm the type of person who rarely gets sick and to happen at 38.5 weeks pregnant is just so typical! I have saline spray for the nose (yuck!), menthol sweets & a mountain of lemons, oranges & kiwis that I'm trying to get through. I've also washed the bedsheets & disinfected the place like some sort of crazy woman. Any other suggestions?? This HAS to be gone asap - if I went into labour like this I have no idea how I'd manage to push anything out!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I'm slathering myself in Vicks at night these days, I usually squeeze some oranges, use the juice with some hot water, honey and cloves and drink that, Oh I also took this: http://www.manukahealth.co.nz/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=24:manuka-honey-syrup&Itemid=679

tastes rubbish but helped me fight it off! and I took 1 paracetamol at night going to sleep to help me nod off.

mamaheidi wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

Just wondering has anybody any suggestions on how to get rid of a manky headcold? This is day 3 now & it's driving me insane, no sleep, runny nose & generally feeling sorry for myself. I'm annoyed because I'm the type of person who rarely gets sick and to happen at 38.5 weeks pregnant is just so typical! I have saline spray for the nose (yuck!), menthol sweets & a mountain of lemons, oranges & kiwis that I'm trying to get through. I've also washed the bedsheets & disinfected the place like some sort of crazy woman. Any other suggestions?? This HAS to be gone asap - if I went into labour like this I have no idea how I'd manage to push anything out!!

Put you feet to warm water while drinking ginger tea and then stright to bed.
    It helped me few weeks ago.

I'm waiting in hospital for appointment
    it is going so slowly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Some doctors will tell you that you can drink Manuka honey and some will tell you that you can't. My doctor said it was fine to mix with hot water and drink. It helped me get rid of a cold in the 1st trimester.
    You can buy it in supermarkets now. I got it in dunnes for like €7

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mmmn..chicken

mamaheidi wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

morning mamaheidi....sorry that sounds lousy
    you are defo allowed to take paracetemol and i find a roasting hot shower great .also try putting vicks vapour rub on your feet (plenty of it)as well as your chest as it draws the flu downwards and stops your nose blocking up....works i promise.
    if it gets too bad go to your doctor and ask for something stronger ,the last time i had the flu after about a week of it i went to doc and he said that its just as important to keep yourself right and to keep your strength up and that the placenta would keep alot out anyway ,but that its bad for baby for the mum to be ill and not eating a proper diet blah..blah...blah....basically healthy mum,healthy baby....and he gave me antibiotics and i was flying it again in 2 days
    hope your feeling better soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

mama h, i've had the remains of an cold for the last 3 weeks, so I have absolutely no idea! I hope you feel better soon though, because it makes it tough!

I can't belive I go on maternity tomorrow - I'm stupidly excited about it. The house has been such a disaster zone over the last few days, I'm actually looking forward to doing some cleaning. I'm secretly hoping that it will inspire baby to make an appearance, but not holding my breath. I'm also planning on making some progress on my baby blanket (which is looking hella pretty, but is slow going as it gets bigger!)

My biggest complaint at the moment are my goddamned ankles! Whereas before they were shapely enough to warm the cockles of any Victorian gentleman, they now resemble half cooked ham hocks. The swelling never seems to go down either, I have it from first thing in the morning - and as doc said no reclining, I haven't been able to put them up, so i'm not sure how to fix them!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mmmn..chicken

sorry silly but im on to boast i had ten straight hours sleep last night and heard nothing of this flashy lightening.i dont know myself this morning,im pure delighted with myself:Dfeel like ive had a weekend in a hotel.

of course this doesnt come without consequences
    my bubs is still backwards so i slept on my belly to try to get it turned so am a bit worried that ten hours on belly wasnt my smartest move.

also yesterday i was destroyed in heatrash(after our one hour of sunshine) and went to chemist to get something
    yer one told me that "in my condition that there was nothing she could do and i would have to suffer on" and then slapped my hand as i went to scratch it.:mad:
    anyway im not used to not getting what i want and im also not good wit pain so i went out to my roasting hot car and bawled like a baby for about half hour. our town is tiny so i was mortified having to drive thru it to get home. so by last night betweeen the tears and rash and heat i was probably dehydrated as feck(hence no toilet runs every hour), so im sitting here now just waiting for the kidney infection.......ah the joys:D

oh ya .my spare room is aslo packed with 6 bin bags of boys clothes and of 5 girls all under 6 months in size
    also have pink and blue moses basket , 2 cots on standby in my mams house and one from our landlord shoved under our bed and three travel cots floating around so sorry mink i have "no" advice for you on how to be assertive and how to say "no" ....... i have 5 sister
    but im having great fun with all the clothes

I just left hospital after appointment. baby is great
    approx weight 5,8 lb at the moment.
    Doc said that she is higher then she was few weeks ago and by the end of next week I can start actions to start delivery (she said I should be on time).

Next app in two weeks

ya I got the cleared out attic of a friend of mine too, its nice people are generous and saving you the cost of new things, but some of it can be taking the piss a bit alright :D know what though? I've a friend due in December who reads this thread the whole time and she can probably guess what's going to happen come November to my super clogged up baby room! :P in fairness, as far as hand me downs go, tis the Irish way, haha! (big cyber wave and cheesey smile to rachineire, mwuahahaha!)

So seeing pictures of the state of Cork this morning (used to live there and all) it brings me to thinking about our baby names list. I don't mind telling ye lads we shared one name with family and friends and got that whole thing of people trying to put you off it by saying it in terrible accent and the likes...the name was Noah (hence the floods reminding me, haha!)...what's wrong with that you wonder? now imagine the rubberbandits refusing to do something. yes, contrary Limerick city children giving out in the local accent sounds remarkably similar to the name. So (after this being pointed out time and again by the by) I've pretty much gone right off the name now, OH still mad for it, but everyone (after trying to put me off it too mind you!) is now pretty much assuming that's what his name will DEFINITELY be, and its really annoying me now! It actually doesn't matter how many times I tell people no, the next time I see them they're all like, "so have ye definitely settled on Noah then?" eh, what's wrong with people at all?! So ya, my advice, if people ask have ye thought of any names, tell them ridiculous things (like Optimus, Methuselah, random names of the opposite gender or whatever) with a completely straight face, cos people all just seem to think their opinions actually matter in things like this, and you might as well get your giggles off them for it.
    God I'll really miss my mid morning rant at you all come the end of July!

• Advertisement

Back from my own hospital, Kinda upset.

First there was white cells in my urine but that could be just because I'm loosing my plug or I have a mild kidney infection.

Then seen doctor, he went fecking mad at the nurses that,even though I told them months ago that both my nanny and my mam had diabetes, that no one ordered the GTT. He said I could be diabetic and now it's too late to do anything and as a result the baby is huge :(

Advertisement