Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due July 2012 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Kash wrote: »
    TwoMums2Be wrote: »
    Oh Kash thats crappy...are you getting more gel this morning?

No, thank the giant teapot on the sky - I really had trouble with the cramps! The first gel did what it was supposed to apparently, 2cm dilated is plenty to allow me to have my waters broken manually.

They'll move me to the labour ward as soon as they can for that! In the meantime, I have to walk and bounce on the ball :)

Best of luck with the BF TwoMums, that sounds nasty!

BMic, hopefully you'll be able to nap with the baby and take the edge off the exhaustion

Sounds good Kash, hopefully you will have your little one by tomorrow at the latest :)

Yep it was pretty grim seeing her unlatch from a bloody shield! For anyone who is struggling with latching get some nipple shield advice - there are differing opinions but if I had them from the start I wouldn't have damaged nipples now & she would have latched no probs from the start!

Mink I am still here but I should get home tomorrow :D Can't wait to be all together & have Zoe at home :)

In fairness, I've had lots of attention & help while I've been here which I'm sure will be invaluable over the coming weeks :) the night midwives have been super & just genuinely lovely people!

You gotta feel sorry for the staff - they have a linen shortage on top of everything! I just heard one midwife say well I have one bed left but I've no sheets for it! They are under so much pressure with the amount of babies arriving without having to worry about sheets & pillowcases :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Barremic I know how you feel, I was feeling like that yesterday, bubs didn't sleep a wink the night before.

He slept last night though in his Basinet!! and only woke up at 3 for a feed. I went to bed at 9 as I had a minging headache. Delighted. Just seems to be hit and miss with them all at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'm with Twomums.... nipple shields are great if you get sore too: scabby nipples is not nice :eek:

Kash I'm delighted you don't need any more gel: and seriously I've been through gel and labour the cramps it brings on are bloody painful! I am now a BIG fan of epidurals though!

Our TV has decided to not turn on :( bet it was all the thunder and lightening last week

C finally did a poo.... who knew i'd get so excited over having a big smelly nappy to change!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Ooh lots of babies on the way this wkend, it's so exciting!

Mamaheidi, don't worry about having no symptoms. I know I went 3 weeks early but I only started feeling a lot of pressure that morning and my waters just broke when I bent over that afternoon. I Cldnt believe it myself.

How our conversations have changed...it's now nipple shields and poops!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

It seems like this labour experience is two steps forward, one step back!

Despite the ward doctors of last night and this morning saying I was ready to have my waters broken, the doctor on the labour ward said no - so i'm due another dose of the bloody gel. Boo hiss :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Kash maybe the waters will go themselves?? That would be convenient to say the least. How are you doing managing the pains? Oh I really hope my birthing pool and gas & air will be just enough to take the edge off to stop me screaming to be taken to hospital for epi!

We'll see... I've been managing not to think about it, there's no point as whatever has to happen is going to happen!

Maternity leave starts today!!!! Did I say that already, I think it's the 5th or 6th time I've said/written it today!!! Feel very relaxed and full of beans past couple days, long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

hope things get moving for you soon kash-silly doctors!

Congrats on your last day mink,enjoy the relaxation girl!

They've given me my second dose of gel and threw in a surprise sweep for free! And when I say surprise, I mean she was poking my cervix when suddenly bang "and I'm just going to do a quick sweep..."

I barely had time to register what she had said!!

Re handling the pains - I haven't had the gas and air yet, but I would say anything that takes the edge off would be good. I was managing ok yesterday, but it was much easier to relax with a little chemical help.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mmmn..chicken

sorry minibear (didnt mean to forget u)best of luck:)
    you too feest ,;)

mamah and java just been chatting to my sis and she was saying that the more ya go over your dates the less painful labour can be (less messing around with gels and prodding and poking and stuff,plus baby is happy to oblige) im happy to listen to anything positive i hear theese days so ill take her word for it anyway....ya never know it might be worth the few extra days

im gonna develop ocd from cleaning out of boredom,
    dunno how im gonna handle the chaos when baby arrives :)

• Advertisement

Oh Kash if someone gave me a surprise sweep I think I'd have kicked them :eek: Hopefully your waters have broken by themselves by now :) and you will be up on the post natal wards in no time :D

Mink well done for making it to your last day...one day at a time obviously worked for you :)

Yeah for nipple shields...I'd say hospital bag essential in fairness :D Speaking of which I have not used half my bag contents and I was already pretty tight on what I brought with me :)

What I don't have is a nursing bra (I know - ridiculous) so my partner may have to pop across the bridge tomorrow & get one before I leave as my boobs are HUGE! So looking forward to going home tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mamaheidi

Thanks for the tip 2mums. It's funny about all the conflicting advice - we were told not to use bottles, dummies, shields for the first few weeks until feeding is established but obviously if there's pain there's a need for shields. Must pick up a pack tomorrow. Have you been seeing a lactation consultant? I'm a public patient so I'm going make use of my VHI to get someone to come out to me if I'm having problems in the days after I get home. I'd like it to work but won't be too distraught if it doesn't - I was bottle fed & lived to tell the tale ;)

Mmmn..chicken - that just made my day. I'm hoping that when the time comes she'll be so excited to come out that it'll all be a breeze!! :D

No word from Java lately - hope it's a good sign!

I have Mamaheidi but she is the hospital one so will see both public & private people rather than a self employed person. In my case the two parent craft midwives have been the most helpful from a practical point of view rather than the see you have enough colostrum don't let people tell you you don't stance!

Latching was near impossible for my little one without a shield. I have one flat & one inverted nipple so neither gave a good latch! Just make sure you get one of the ones I mentioned in big sizes. One rule doesn't fit everyone & if I knew then what I know now I would never have tried feed without them!

Speaking of which - are any of our mammies using a pump? If you are can you let me know makes experience etc :) thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

TwoMums2Be wrote: »
    I have Mamaheidi but she is the hospital one so will see both public & private people rather than a self employed person. In my case the two parent craft midwives have been the most helpful from a practical point of view rather than the see you have enough colostrum don't let people tell you you don't stance!

Latching was near impossible for my little one without a shield. I have one flat & one inverted nipple so neither gave a good latch! Just make sure you get one of the ones I mentioned in big sizes. One rule doesn't fit everyone & if I knew then what I know now I would never have tried feed without them!

Speaking of which - are any of our mammies using a pump? If you are can you let me know makes experience etc :) thanks!

I bought a manual advent one for €20 the other day and it's worse than useless. I get more hand expressing than pumping with it. The electric ones just seemed so expensive.

Holy jaysus this whole early labour jazz is just nasty...

I could go my whole life never seeing or hearing about mucous plugs ever again...

They are Kildareash (even to rent!). I can't feed off one nipple at the moment but have to express to draw down the milk! So prob will have to get one or settle on bottle feeding - at least she has had colostrum but I'd like to carry on for awhile if I could :)

I was hand expressing and drawing up colostrum with a syringe yesterday :rolleyes: Oh what fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I'm having great success with the manual hand pump. It's the avent one too!! We started on the bottle this evening, great success so far. OH is feeding whilst I am sitting here chatting to you guys :D

Oh, this is just so frustrating!

In my internal exam an hour ago, after today's gel, the doc has said that I am ready for the next stage - breaking the waters. Which is exactly what they said last night, and this morning. So it's a bit like groundhog day in here! I'm just hoping like hell the doctor in the labour ward actually agrees, and they actually do it!

I am still getting contractions but they are spaced quite far apart... I just want to make some progress!

My sister loaned me (well I'd say it's given now as she's done having kids) her double medela electric pump. It worked great for her, two of her friends used it too (it will be scrubbed & sterilised to within an inch of it's life).

I've heard numerous times that the medela electric pumps are the best. I don't know how much they are but if you're okay with 2nd hand I'd definitely go that route & then scrub & boil the bejasus out of it & it would be fine to use.

I saw my other sister using one of those manual pumps for 20 odd euro & it got nothing out of her.

Did I mention.... I'm on maternity leave now :D To be honest I'm quite happy for nothing to happen for the next week so I can enjoy it. I will steer clear of eviction tools til then

Oh, this is just so frustrating!

In my internal exam an hour ago, after today's gel, the doc has said that I am ready for the next stage - breaking the waters. Which is exactly what they said last night, and this morning. So it's a bit like groundhog day in here! I'm just hoping like hell the doctor in the labour ward actually agrees, and they actually do it!

I am still getting contractions but they are spaced quite far apart... I just want to make some progress!

You poor thing, Hopefully your suprise sweep will help too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mamaheidi

The Medula double ones are very pricey. I think I'll try the Avent electric one - some on amazon for reasonably cheap (70/80). If anybody has seen them cheaper anywhere else please post about it!

Kash - hope you have your baby soon sounds like you're being put through hoops in there.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Silly question, but if babys head isn't engaged you can still be induced right??
    I really thought the fecker had moved down last night, but they're back up in my ribs today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Got given a once used (literally) Medela swing eletric pump by my aunt, reviews look great. Actually just sterilised it there now was going to give it a try but I`ve decided not to do anythin to encourage labour today cause I just had the worst day with my very sulky OH. I swear he`s like a f*cking 2 year old!!:mad:

Have the house in some kinda order thou on the positive side after busting myself all evening :).

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

This nesting is just a killer - I mean I intend to sit down every now and then but see something else that could do with a rub... Y/day I even cleaned the gym ball before I sat on it!!

I have a weird squelchy sound just under my ribs if I move a certain way, been convincing myself it`s cos baby is moving down but dunno really..anyone else?

Kash - A surprise sweep? :eek: Isn`t that illegal, I`d have gone mental like totally postal, if anything happens in the course of this pregnancy or labour that they haven`t OKed with me (or my hubby if I was indisposed) Id be inclined to violence :o

5 days to Due Day - Set up my steriliser and baby changing unit this eve, gonna do the breast pump (Avent manual) and few bottles in it tomorrow to try it out Bring it on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Ginny they score you if they are going to induce you: check how soft your cervix is length or something similar and if head engaged I think... It depends on the combo of things.

Kash i have everything crossed you need no more gel x

I have the avent manual pump which is working quite well: babs won't feed on right side for me :( I express about 40 ml at a time with it: if I can keep bfeeding up I'll get an electric one. There is a knack to it though!

Cyning I can't feed off my left side due to nipple damage and as my milk is now coming in I'm getting blocked ducts so have just pumped to remove some milk! Hence the need for a pump or it will be cabbage leaves & no more breastfeeding for me!

Happy that I managed to feed her the colostrum anyway & we will see how we go but she is a very hungry baby it seems although she lost just under the 10% max!

So looking forward to the morning & going home :)

Today is the day.
    It's a wonderful day to be born. It's even Bastille Day, so it would be sweet - as hubby said, if she is born today, and if we ever celebrate her birthday in France, then it will be like the whole country is celebrating with her, and there will always be fireworks.

(hear my optimism universe? Snap to it then!)

Fri.Day wrote: »
    This nesting is just a killer - I mean I intend to sit down every now and then but see something else that could do with a rub... Y/day I even cleaned the gym ball before I sat on it!!

That's dedicated cleaning. I'm a bit worried I'll be like that for the next couple weeks. If I was allowed hoover & wash the floors I'd say I'd end up doing it every day from now on.

Feels so weird being a free (sort of) woman :D although it's temporary til the real work begins

Today is the day.
    It's a wonderful day to be born. It's even Bastille Day, so it would be sweet - as hubby said, if she is born today, and if we ever celebrate her birthday in France, then it will be like the whole country is celebrating with her, and there will always be fireworks.

Sounds perfect :D and your due date if I remember right! Would be nice to have our first due date baby :) will have my fingers crossed that baby Kash hears the eviction order ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WWC1

Today is the day.

Really hope today is her birthday:) You must be frustrated at this stage with a promise of water breaking....

If she is born today can you ask her to send some baby whispers to mine to tell them to get a move on please....

Advertisement