Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aeroplane runs out of fuel, passengers have to buy extra to continue journey.

• 17-11-2011 11:18am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-15762127
    An airline is set to investigate reports that it asked passengers to pay £20,000 towards the cost of fuel to complete their journey to the UK.
    Passengers said they were asked for the money when a flight with Austrian airline Comtel Air from Amritsar in India stopped in Vienna to refuel.

At least the pilot found a filling station before running out!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

probably still cheaper than aer lingus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Jesus, I hope Michael O'Leary doesn't read this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Jesus, I hope Michael O'Leary doesn't read this!

He'd probably call Vienna near Birmingham.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

A bad time to be in first class seating....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Am I the only one surprised O Leary wasn't directly involved after reading the title?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Am I the only one surprised O Leary wasn't directly involved after reading the title?

He siphoned the tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine's flight from Estonia was delayed 2 hours as all
    passengers and baggage had to be unloaded so the pilot could refuel in Lithuania.

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Regardless what you think of Ryanair, at least it isn't a fly by night operation. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

danniemcq wrote: »
    probably still cheaper than aer lingus

I often fly Aer Lingus as they are usually the same price - and sometimes cheaper - than the "low cost" airlines like Ryan Air.

Plus, you get an allocated seat, aren't treated like cattle & the planes don't bounce off the runway when they land.

One of the best things Ryanair ever did was to bring down the cost of other, better airlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

what's really amazing is that the passengers actually paid up?!! Would it not have been cheaper to get another flight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

what's really amazing is that the passengers actually paid up?!! Would it not have been cheaper to get another flight?

Assuming 200 passengers, £20,000 comes out as £100 (the passenger figure is backed up by that fact that one passenger said she had to pony up €150). Doubt you could get another flight to travel from Vienna to the UK for less than that price, though I could be wrong.

Anyways, at best its breach of contract and passengers are entitled to compensation, at worst its fraud/extortion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Assuming 200 passengers, £20,000 comes out as £100 (the passenger figure is backed up by that fact that one passenger said she had to pony up €150). Doubt you could get another flight to travel from Vienna to the UK for less than that price, though I could be wrong.

Anyways, at best its breach of contract and passengers are entitled to compensation, at worst its fraud/extortion.

True, but I'm sure there would have been plenty of passengers who simply couldn't pay?

To be honest I'd prefer to fork out for another flight than pay that airline!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

I'm really surprised it wouldnt be standard practice for the airline of the flight to simply transfer money to the refueling station??

theTinker wrote: »
    I'm really surprised it wouldnt be standard practice for the airline of the flight to simply transfer money to the refueling station??

They're obviously strapped for cash, or someone screwed up in the finance department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

" Another woman who flew from Amritsar to Birmingham via Vienna told the BBC: "We had to pay 150 euros last night in Vienna to get back to Birmingham and then they wouldn't fly us back to Birmingham so we had to pay ourselves to come back."

WTF!

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I often fly Aer Lingus as they are usually the same price - and sometimes cheaper - than the "low cost" airlines like Ryan Air.

Plus, you get an allocated seat, aren't treated like cattle & the planes don't bounce off the runway when they land.

One of the best things Ryanair ever did was to bring down the cost of other, better airlines.

most i have ever paid for a ryanair flight is like 20e, and have even got flights for 1 cent. Dunno people say aer lingus are cheaper now but whenever i check the prices arent even close and i buy ryanair. Although havent bought any in over a year at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

What if they have no funds though?

Also (other posts) why bash O'Leary... his planes are on time, clean, safe and the company runs at a profit!

..plus he personally states he would neverr levy a fuel surcharge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-15762127
    An airline is set to investigate reports that it asked passengers to pay £20,000 towards the cost of fuel to complete their journey to the UK. coke and hookers at the airline staff's hotel later that night
    Passengers said they were asked for the money when a flight with Austrian airline Comtel Air from Amritsar in India stopped in Vienna to refuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

During the hurricane season in florida one of our flights had to use miami instead of orlando sfb airport.There were no fuel contacts in mia so the flight mechanic had to pay for 70 tons of fuel with his own credit card needless to say he had a whopper of a credit limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I would tell the airline to **** of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Airline in question has gone bust this evening...lot of people stranded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I remember on "airline" that the show on Sky a few years ago an EasyJet plane having to divert to some airport in France with a medical emergency they didn't normally fly to and the Captain had to pay for it on his Credit Card as the airline did not have agreement with the oil company. Better than the passengers having to fork out though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

The pilot of an aircraft usually has a company credit card to pay for fuel when it is needed, but this can sometimes be a problem for a variety of reasons, such as an unscheduled landing, cockups in accounting departments, and so on.

A friend of mine flew to Tirana with Finnair in the early 1990s, just after the communist regime had collapsed in Albania. The plane was carrying the Finnish soccer team, officials, sports journalists and some fans to a World Cup qualifier.

The plane remained at the airport for the duration of the game, but when the pilot tried to have it refuelled for the return trip, the Albanians refused to accept his credit card; in fact, they had never heard of a credit card.:eek:

The pilot had to make a whip round from everyone on board to get enough cash to make the short flight to Italy, where the credit card was accepted.:D

Naturally, the airline repaid everyone their money and, as a gesture of appreciation, gave them free ticket vouchers for later use :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

most i have ever paid for a ryanair flight is like 20e, and have even got flights for 1 cent. Dunno people say aer lingus are cheaper now but whenever i check the prices arent even close and i buy ryanair. Although havent bought any in over a year at this stage!

I'm flying to Madrid next week. The flights cost €90 return with Aer Lingus. The same flights were €160 with Ryanair. I find that this is regularly the case & the flight times are almost always better with Aer Lingus.

The deals Ryanair do are great, like the 1cent flights, but that's if you book well in advance and /or are flexible about when you travel.

I've no real problem flying Ryanair - I'll fly with whoever is the cheapest when I go to book and that normally is around 60-70% of the time in favour of Aer Lingus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I have an idea that Michael O'Leary might like - inflight refuelling. That should be a nice earner.

Advertisement