Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So....have I crossed the line ?

• 17-11-2011 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Ok Ive got a "photographic project" to do and the image below is the "draft" outcome of my work. I suppose what Im trying to determine is at what point does a manipulated set of photographic images no longer equate to being a photograph. The projects emphasis is conceptual not technical and therefore the process of creating the image is open...the brief states that it can only consist of photos which this does! So am I still within the bounds?? This is probably going to open a can of worms but Im very interested in peoples interpretation :)

Just for info the "pic" is 3 basic images: the background is a pic a dress of mine. The statue is from the Tullamore bypass and the clock is from Limerick (tho it says Cork :-O )

9EEE044875824E299CCC2113D674E235-0000336456-0002632216-00640L-6858BF986F564A10A2E18ECDD8F13505.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

major can of worms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

what point do you feel it crosses. When it reaches that,you've gone too far. nobody else can tell you. It's almost rhetorical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

It's certainly not a 'photograph' anymore, it's a collage, assembled from photographic elements.

Fairly clear cut (ho ho) in this case, bit of a grey area in other cases though. Does something cease to be a photograph if you remove elements or content aware fill away the annoying child in the background ? When you paste more elements into an existing picture ?

Case in point, CabanSail's image of a lancaster flying over Auschwitz. I think that quite smartly crossed the line into collage territory, others seemed perfectly happy to accept it as a 'photograph'.

TL;DR : what mele said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

xelle wrote: »
    it can only consist of photos]

So long as it's photos plural, I think you're fine :) If it's a college piece, best to run it past your lecturer first though.

And I like it a lot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

photograph a print out of the image... then it'll be a 'pure photograph'
    that should keep everyone happy - because you'll be submitting an unmodified photographic image :)

(don't see an issue with the original image by the way)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 xelle

pete4130 wrote: »
    what point do you feel it crosses. When it reaches that,you've gone too far. nobody else can tell you. It's almost rhetorical.

Think Id have to agree with you here Pete.....the fact that Ive reached this point does seems to suggest that Ive reached the brink for myself on this :) but I was just curious to see how others perceive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 xelle

sineadw wrote: »
    So long as it's photos plural, I think you're fine :) If it's a college piece, best to run it past your lecturer first though.

And I like it a lot :)

No, its not a college piece Sinead but again lessons learned from the college experience is that it IS indeed subjective even to a lecturer.

And Im really glad you like it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't know, with digital media that line is gone as soon as you take the picture off the camera really. What's the difference between removing a telephone pole and adding a dragon, technically speaking it may take same amount of work and time to do that or just CC a picture.

Advertisement