Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair play to the SU!

Options
  • 17-11-2011 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭

First off I'd like to say that I can be a critic of how ULSU operates but well done on the protest yesterday (wasn't able to attend myself as I'm still on co-op)

It came across as very well organised and seems to have made much more of an impact than the last one which was a bit of a shambles IMO.

Thankfully the far left element that hijacked the previous protest didn't seem to be present and instead the media seemed 100% focused on the message we were trying to get across

I really think this might effectively change something and fair play to the ULSU for participating in a well organised event.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

You do know they left @ 9am and were back @ 9pm for an hour and half protest in Dublin :pac:
    Overall the protest was very well organised unlike the media cover riot of last year. It was a bit disappointing that news of the protest was not on the front page of RTE.ie and you had to look for it. Maybe now people might see student as a victim of the recession instead of us been spoiled. Although judging from comments I have seen this is unlikely to happen. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭brucechan

At least the students of Ireland organised a visible protest, and a peaceful one at that, but alas, its forgotten about today. What will come of it? How will it effect change? In truth, it won't.
    Every organisation in Ireland could arrange a march, but it doesn't matter a bit unfortunately.
    As for the students being victims of the recession, aren't we all (I'm a graduate) except maybe the undertakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Jester252 wrote: »
    It was a bit disappointing that news of the protest was not on the front page of RTE.ie and you had to look for it.
    Ah, I wouldn't worry too much about that. It got highlighted at the top of the main pages of the Times and the Indo. The Times gets rather more page views than the news page of rte.ie which, unlike the BBC news site, tends to be very much a second-tier news service here.
    Fishooks12 wrote: »
    It came across as very well organised and seems to have made much more of an impact than the last one which was a bit of a shambles IMO.
    Yeah, I happened to be in Dublin that day last year. It was, um, interesting to be inside the National Library on Kildare Street looking out the window at a mini-riot going on outside. Last year was probably a learning experience for USI as this year's effort seems to have been a little more controlled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

brucechan wrote: »
    At least the students of Ireland organised a visible protest, and a peaceful one at that, but alas, its forgotten about today. What will come of it? How will it effect change? In truth, it won't.
    Every organisation in Ireland could arrange a march, but it doesn't matter a bit unfortunately.
    As for the students being victims of the recession, aren't we all (I'm a graduate) except maybe the undertakers.

I think it will. Ruari Quinn (a former student union president of Trinity himself) won't want to have his face plastered on the news signing that pledge every-time the issue of raising fee's comes up.

I think yesterday Wednesday made areal difference and I have a feeling we'll see it in December

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I think it will. Ruari Quinn (a former student union president of Trinity himself) won't want to have his face plastered on the news signing that pledge every-time the issue of raising fee's comes up.

I think yesterday Wednesday made areal difference and I have a feeling we'll see it in December

If we don't I've a feeling we're in for a long year of protests...

Ruairi Quinn's career will end immediately if they reintroduce fees, bet he's regretting signing that pledge right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭brucechan

I hope you're right

Advertisement