Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roast beef help

Options
  • 17-11-2011 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

I have bought 1 kg of housekeepers cut beef. The last time I cooked beef it was like shoe leather ! I would appreciate any help to ensure juicy tender beef !! I love beef but never cook it as I am clueless .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I have bought 1 kg of housekeepers cut beef. The last time I cooked beef it was like shoe leather ! I would appreciate any help to ensure juicy tender beef !! I love beef but never cook it as I am clueless .

Housekeepers cut is not really suitable for a traditional roasting. It needs a long slow pot roast.

Have a look at Pot Roasting on this Bord Bia website for advice.

http://www.bordbia.ie/aboutfood/meat/pages/cookingmethods.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have bought 1 kg of housekeepers cut beef. The last time I cooked beef it was like shoe leather !

Seem strange that you bought it again, then.:confused:
    The problem is with the cut, not what you did with it.
    Best thing is what huserdu says but it's not going to be rare and tender - for that you need to spend a bit more money on a nice prime rib or sirloin roast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

I dont think it strange at all... It was within my budget this week .
    I have a slow cooker so I will look at that thread now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

You can use HK Cut for roasting - I agree its not the best - however if its cooked at a low temperature for longer its not as tough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I don't know anything about cuts of meat :o but when I roast beef, I usually put it on a wire rack over a tray of icecubes so that the steam keeps it moist. I do it with pork too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I dont think it strange at all... It was within my budget this week .
    I have a slow cooker so I will look at that thread now.

Sorry, I read it that you bought the same cut again.

No worries :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you cook it in the slow cooker with a little stock it'll be really tender :)

Rib is a great cut for roasting. Because of the marbling of fat it's juicy and full of flavour. You should try that next time.

Thanks for the replies . meat is in the slow cooker since this morning. not quite the roast Id thought I would be eating but never mind ! Clearly I bought the wrong cut all together. Still hopefully it will be better than my last effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

For future reference, you might find this link http://www.irishbeef.co.uk/beef-cuts/ handy - it tells you which cut is suitable for which cooking method.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I have roasted housekeepers cut loads of times. There's nothing wrong with it at all. Just like any cut of beef it's tough if over cooked, which should go without saying.

Roast it in the oven at 220 for 30mins, then reduce the temperature to 160 and roast for 20 mins a pounds for nice pink beef. Rest it for at least 15 minutes before carving.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

How i do it is, brown the outside of the meat in a hot pan until it's browned all over. Put it in a roasting dish and pour in an inch or two of boiling water. Cover the top with tinfoil and crimp the foil tightly around the roasting dish. Put into the oven at 140 degrees for about three hours. About 30 mins before serving wrap the meat in the tinfoil and leave aside until ready to serve. Don't forget to make the lovely gravy from the juice in the roasting dish.

Edit: Just to add, if you're slow cooking beef in a slow cooker, make sure to brown it first as it will look horribly pale if you don't.

Advertisement