Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

serpae tetra +?

Options
  • 17-11-2011 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

I added 4 serpae tetra to a 60l tank with 5 zebra danios and a siamese fighting fish a number of months ago. The betta instantly reacted with fear, went into his little cave and never really came out again. The tetras had him absolutely tortured.. I was even dropping food into his cave for him but he lasted only a number of weeks. I was sad to see him go as he was a gorgeous looking fish :(

The danios who had been ok til then gradually faded one by one over the next couple of months. For the last 6 months I've had one danio and the 4 tetras. I know the danio needs company but I've half expected him to go the way of the others...

So now I feel I'm kind of limited in what I can add to the tank with these piranhas tetras. They're a bit fierce at feeding time and are real fin nippers. While I would love to try guppies or mollies at this stage I'm thinking that mightn't work so well with the tetras?
    I was also thinking of an algae eater but again wonder what would work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I put a dwarf flame gourami in with my rummynose tetras after they made bits of my betta's tail. The gourami takes no guff from them.

Something fast with small fins would be the way to go, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

That's funny, I've always known danios to be the fin nippers. But definitely stay away from anything with long flowing fins like the siamese fighter/guppies. I reckon Mollies/Platys/Swordtails would be big and bold enough to put the tetras in their place.

Algae eaters like Plecos pretty much go with any other fish, they keep to themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Well I've just added 1 pleco, 2 more danios and 3 mollies to the tank as well as a live plant. So far the male molly is tormenting everyone else :p He's gold and his two ladies are 1 gold and 1 dalmation. I can't wait til they have babies :D

Advertisement