Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dae.bin Silently updated!

• 17-11-2011 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭

http://xbox-scene.com/

So M$ are at it again. Hats off to them they sure make the scene members work hard for no pay.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Like our news a few days ago, the dae.bin is now being changed by way of an appended challenge table in the same manner on current retail dashes (13604) as it is on the preview dash (14686), however the content of the challenge tables differ. The team has determined that the appended challenge table appears to be unique per console and contains indentifying information. This means that everyone’s dae.bin is different, and can potentially be traced back to your specific console. Therefore, sharing your dae.bin with others is not advisable.

Source

Interesting direction by MS. I wonder what the point of that is, because surely they have everything they need in terms of tracing if thats what they were interested in (XBL Sub, IP details etc). Maybe a sophisticated logging system of something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Aye, I'd say it's a logging thing. Not sure of it's purpose considering they already know what console you're on when you're on live, and what GT you're using, what IP you're on etc but I'm sure they have their reason.

The per-console DAE is a good idea from them because now there's not just one dae.bin that needs to be cracked and answers distributed which is what was happening, now there's a need to know how the DAE calculates the response and uses the unique information before giving an appropriate response for that console. Frankly I'm surprised it wasn't unique from the start , after all we've got unique config data, unique CPU key, unique DVD key and I'm pretty sure secdata is unique too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I was suprised it took them so long to do such a silent update, anyone taking a modded box online knows the risk. The interesting thing is was it legal for Microsoft to do this, I suppose the Xbox Live TOS would cover this?
    I noticed a few weeks back my Windows Updates reverted to being automatically installed which p*ssed me off (I had it set to choose when to download & install them), I thought maybe it was error on my part but talking to someone else who manages Windows servers he too noticed the same issue (trying to figure why the servers restarted) so Microsoft must be a bit more brazé than they used to be!

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    I was suprised it took them so long to do such a silent update, anyone taking a modded box online knows the risk. The interesting thing is was it legal for Microsoft to do this, I suppose the Xbox Live TOS would cover this?

Yeah the TOS for the system software surely gives them an open book with it. Regards the legalities of it, only those who don't use original discs would see issue with it really...couldn't see a case like that lasting long :D
    yoyo wrote:
    I noticed a few weeks back my Windows Updates reverted to being automatically installed which p*ssed me off (I had it set to choose when to download & install them), I thought maybe it was error on my part but talking to someone else who manages Windows servers he too noticed the same issue (trying to figure why the servers restarted) so Microsoft must be a bit more brazé than they used to be!

Nick

Malicious Software Removal tool? :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yeah the TOS for the system software surely gives them an open book with it. Regards the legalities of it, only those who don't use original discs would see issue with it really...couldn't see a case like that lasting long :D
    Yeah I'm sure they have themselves covered, never been online with my xbox and never will be so not a problem for me :D . Think RGH seems to be the obvious choice for Xboxes now for backups. Also I think AP2.5 has pissed off many legitimate users, i.e those that were banned for a few weeks incorrectly.
    I also think its stupid of Microsoft to even exceed the DVD Specification as many legitimate game owners seem to have issues, had had issues on off with my originals myself.

Malicious Software Removal tool? :D
    It was about 10 bloody updates, a fair size too, luckily I'm on an decent broadband connection with a 500gig cap! Because all I noticed of the updates installing was the "Installing updates 1 of 10" as it was shutting down. I thought maybe I accidentally changed the settings but apprently not as others noticed the same!

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

seems its all drives except samsung and hitachis that are affected.I know all too well that my idiot friends have been using their flashed consoles online.Well it'll be their own fault when their drives stop reading discs.I warned them when I did it for them.

Will this result in a ban for those users, or simply the ability to run backup up discs is lost? It'll be interesting to see what C4E pulls out of his hat with this one...

I'd say console bans will be coming shortly.Most people who put theire modded consoles online have now lost the ability to play the majority of their xgd3 games.C4eva has said that the silent update has affected un-modded xboxes also,so m$ may roll back the update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

Here is a temporary work around for anyone who's games do not boot after the silent update, credit goes to who ever found this not me:
    you will need a usb flash drive for this

1. Format your USB stick using your xbox

2. Download Horizon, http://www.xboxmb.com/horizon/

3. Download the title update for the game, (for the example we will use the modern warefare 3 update, you can download it here http://www.mediafire.com/?mu5ylq5tc9aof4d for other games visit here for the update http://www.xbuc.net/ )

4. Put the USB stick into your PC, run Horizon and drag and drop the title update onto the window and it will open it, once its open click on save to device (top right of the small window)

5. Clear the cache on your xbox, to do this go to system settings / memory, highlight the hdd and press the Y button and select "clear cache"

6. Pop in your USB stick, and launch the game, it will now boot, enjoy smile.gif

**(if you play online you will have to clear the cache every time prior to playing the game online as once the game boots and then prompts about the update the update will stop the game booting next time but technically its aleady booted thats why it works straight after downloading the update if that makes sence)**

Here is a temporary work around for anyone who's games do not boot after the silent update, credit goes to who ever found this not me:
    you will need a usb flash drive for this

1. Format your USB stick using your xbox

2. Download Horizon, http://www.xboxmb.com/horizon/

3. Download the title update for the game, (for the example we will use the modern warefare 3 update, you can download it here http://www.mediafire.com/?mu5ylq5tc9aof4d for other games visit here for the update http://www.xbuc.net/ )

4. Put the USB stick into your PC, run Horizon and drag and drop the title update onto the window and it will open it, once its open click on save to device (top right of the small window)

5. Clear the cache on your xbox, to do this go to system settings / memory, highlight the hdd and press the Y button and select "clear cache"

6. Pop in your USB stick, and launch the game, it will now boot, enjoy smile.gif

**(if you play online you will have to clear the cache every time prior to playing the game online as once the game boots and then prompts about the update the update will stop the game booting next time but technically its aleady booted thats why it works straight after downloading the update if that makes sence)**

your console will still have been flagged.enjoy playing online while you can.m$ will be swinging the banhammer at all the modded consoles affected by this very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

So this update has no implications for an already banned console?

Just wondering because I'm just about to purchase the equipment to flash drives myself and I don't want to start now when the game could be up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

clonadlad wrote: »
    So this update has no implications for an already banned console?

Just wondering because I'm just about to purchase the equipment to flash drives myself and I don't want to start now when the game could be up!

There will definatly be a work around.
    But flashing is not worth the hassle anymore IMO
    Every couple of months there is a new protection so you have to rip all your games again, patch them with the new protection, burn them in a special drive, tear your console down and update your drive etc.

IMO reset glitch is where its at now its a bit more involved but less hassle when installed,
    That or odd emulators

Well it would seem that the xkey team have already defeated the dae.bin update.I'd say odde devices will be the way to go.How difficult is it to do the RGH?I've a few old consoles lying around and am very tempted to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭PAU

This only effects going on live, correct??

PAU wrote: »
    This only effects going on live, correct??
    As long as you haven't been on live in the last few days you should be fine.Although i'd say its safe to assume this update will be included in future game releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭PAU

Yeah I never go on live,I'll just get the latest dash when the games need it :)

Squaredude wrote: »
    Well it would seem that the xkey team have already defeated the dae.bin update.I'd say odde devices will be the way to go.How difficult is it to do the RGH?I've a few old consoles lying around and am very tempted to give it a go.

That may be in this case, but who's to say MS can't do similar things at regular intervals now? Change a few bytes here & there, and all they need is a disc authentication failure to raise the flag for a ban. Regular silent updates/revisions could be the ace card here for MS.

Yeah it would seem that m$ are winning this battle at the moment.From what I've read it would appear that m$ will be able to change the security checks as often as they like,thus rendering any future cfw useless.RGH time i'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Yeah it would seem that m$ are winning this battle at the moment.From what I've read it would appear that m$ will be able to change the security checks as often as they like,thus rendering any future cfw useless.RGH time i'd say.

Of course MS are winning, if people weren't being retards about playing online with pirated games this would be a non-issue. If your console isn't online then there are limited opportunities to replace your dae.bin file so CFW isn't completely useless. Then again, why would anyone spend time faffing around with CFW and staying offline when the RGH gives you all of the CFW capabilities and more ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

There will definatly be a work around.
    But flashing is not worth the hassle anymore IMO
    Every couple of months there is a new protection so you have to rip all your games again, patch them with the new protection, burn them in a special drive, tear your console down and update your drive etc.

IMO reset glitch is where its at now its a bit more involved but less hassle when installed,
    That or odd emulators
    For playing offline I think it is worth it. I haven't had to update the firmware on my drive for over a year.

What does the reset glitch do? I've heard of it but don't really understand it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Of course MS are winning, if people weren't being retards about playing online with pirated games this would be a non-issue. If your console isn't online then there are limited opportunities to replace your dae.bin file so CFW isn't completely useless. Then again, why would anyone spend time faffing around with CFW and staying offline when the RGH gives you all of the CFW capabilities and more ;)

RGH FTW!

iXtreme LT+ v3.0 is on the way! Yesterday, having revealed to the team an idea for countering the recent dae.bin/AP2.5 update, c4eva has today confirmed that he has in fact completely done away with the need for dae.bin/AP2.5 data. Although it’s early stages, c4eva has successfully completed several tests which validate this new method and classified his solution as the “silver bullet” for AP2.5. Rather than using captured challenge results each time the dae.bin changes, the new method builds a complete set of profile data for each disc and works for all AP2.5 challenges, regardless of how the dae.bin is changed. As a result, the format of backup ISOs will be changing as the AP25 replay sector will no longer be included and the profile data will instead take its place. Though c4eva noted that it will take some development time as it’s not a quick fix, both he and the team will now be putting their full efforts behind bringing this solution to life in the form of new versions of iXtreme LT+, Xbox Backup Creator, and abgx360.

Source

Surely this will not keep you under the banning radar, & will simply restore the ability to play backup discs? That C4E lad is something else, how MS don't hire with with a monster salary is beyond me as he's the primary thorn in their side. Still though, if all thats come of this is XBL being secured from modded consoles, its a worthy endeavor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Yeah the guy is clearly a genius, i guess microsoft dont like to admit defeat

Yeah the guy is clearly a genius, i guess microsoft dont like to admit defeat

I'm not entirely sure they have been defeated here, sure those consoles have the ability to run backups restored...but I'm not sure this new firmware he speaks of will be XBL safe. If its not XBL safe, then MS in my eyes will have won

There's a monster ban wave coming in now, a ban tsunami if you will :D And if anything, all those XBL lovers will have no choice but to buy new consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Source

Surely this will not keep you under the banning radar, & will simply restore the ability to play backup discs? That C4E lad is something else, how MS don't hire with with a monster salary is beyond me as he's the primary thorn in their side. Still though, if all thats come of this is XBL being secured from modded consoles, its a worthy endeavor.

I was just about to post this and then i read it.
    I also read it last night but didn't want to post as it didn't come from a reliable source.

thats on c4eva speaks now,
    It completely defeats the new protection so it should be "live safe".
    Or at least as safe as a modded console can be.

thats on c4eva speaks now,
    It completely defeats the new protection so it should be "live safe".
    Or at least as safe as a modded console can be.

I think the thing is now though MS have the ability to change the parameters of the test at will, silently. Technically thats a game changer as modded consoles are only live-safe as long as MS want them to be.

I don't profess to properly understand whats going on, but to my mind with MS having the ability to silently carry out such random things, they always have the upper hand.

I think the thing is now though MS have the ability to change the parameters of the test at will, silently. Technically thats a game changer as modded consoles are only live-safe as long as MS want them to be.

I don't profess to properly understand whats going on, but to my mind with MS having the ability to silently carry out such random things, they always have the upper hand.

I don't claim to know anything much about it either,
    The ability the change things on the fly silently is a great upper hand for MS.
    But c4eva is a genius when it comes to this and I'm sure He'll have something up his sleeve, only time will tell.
    I'm surprised Microsoft haven't hired him by now to work on there security.

I don't claim to know anything much about it either,
    The ability the change things on the fly silently is a great upper hand for MS.
    But c4eva is a genius when it comes to this and I'm sure He'll have something up his sleeve, only time will tell.
    I'm surprised Microsoft haven't hired him by now to work on there security.

No doubts of that there, & its practically a certainty I'd say. It's justnow, as you say yourself, MS have the upper hand so whatever C4E comes up with, can likely be countered by MS very quickly & very silently. It'll just become unviable to continuously have to flash your fw/reburn games etc as mentioned above.

• Advertisement

As far as I know microsoft have had the option to change the security checks at any given time since the introduction of Ap 2.5 but have only done so now.lt 3.0 might keep you "safe" from the banhammer as long as your console didn't get flagged by the update during the week.It will be interesting to see what this "silver bullet" is.

Advertisement