Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xperia 2011 range to get upgrade to ics 4.0

Options
  • 17-11-2011 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

just as a matter of interest this is good for all xperia users,

Sony Ericsson has confirmed that its entire 2011 portfolio of Xperia phones is to be upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich in the coming months.

The news was posted on Sony Ericsson's blog, with the company noting: "There have been a few questions here on the blog and in our support forums regarding our upgrade plans beyond Gingerbread.

"We can today confirm that we plan to upgrade the entire 2011 Xperia portfolio to the next version of Android known as Android 4.0 or Ice Cream Sandwich.

"We are working on merging our current Xperia experience with the new features in Android 4.0.

"More detailed information regarding this upgrade, timing and global availability will be communicated in due course here on the blog."

Android 4.0 upgrade
    The phones that will be updated are as follows: Xperia arc and arc S, Xperia Play, Xperia neo and neo V, Xperia mini and mini pro, Xperia pro, Xperia active and Xperia ray, plus the Live with Walkman.

There's no official date for the Sony Ericsson Android 4.0 handover but we will keep you posted.

Just this week it was announced that the code for ICS has been released for your modding pleasure.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/ice-cream-sandwich-coming-to-2011-sony-xperia-range-1041317
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well that good news. Got the Xperia Play a little while ago, and happy to see it will get an ICS upgrade :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭greg_f

ya and sky go to be released in the next month or so will look good on the play:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Will there be performance improvements as a result? The Xperia play is my second android phone and I find performance, in general, is woeful. (love the controls though) Nearly every UI animation, video/game is choppy in some way or another. Seems especially bad compared to my iPhone 4s.

What are the killer new features in ICS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

funkyflea wrote: »
    Will there be performance improvements as a result? The Xperia play is my second android phone and I find performance, in general, is woeful. (love the controls though) Nearly every UI animation, video/game is choppy in some way or another. Seems especially bad compared to my iPhone 4s.

I found none of this in the phone myself. Are you updated to 2.3.4?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

As one of the few Androids around with a QWERTY, the Xperia line would be my next phone. If I could afford one that is. N97 mini still going strong (un)fortunately!
    An Xperia Pro Mini or Play would be awesome. I heard there were some problems with the Pro Mini sound though, but it's fixed in newer batches.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

funkyflea wrote: »

I never had any of these problems either. Saying that, I only played one of the pre-installed games and not even for that long. I stick to my emulators. The phone is silky smooth for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I never had those problems on my Play either, mine is still stock out of the box not rooted or had a ROM put on it yet either, its the slickest piece of hardware Ive ever owned, it hasnt stuttered on anything Ive thrown at it since I got it.

Today I switched to 3 for the unlimited broadband and it worked absolutely flawlessly, tethered it wirelessly to the laptop and its better than my Meteor dongle and as good as the free wi-fi our landlord provides, best purchase Ive made this year.

Advertisement