Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting SRK front page article

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I have actually already noticed some of what's said there.

On the older vids there's quite a few comments like "I can't believe someone like this managed to get into a tournament".

It's like people don't understand anyone gets to play, you just pay your money... and the stupid, stupid things some of them say...

Anyway, another point similar to theirs I've been thinking of- if people want tournaments to be there, they need to attend them.

The last Inferno had 16 people but the final has about 80 views from Ireland... If people don't attend the tournaments, there'll be no more tournaments to watch :(

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

Interesting indeed.

Wouldn't you agree though, that more eyes on the FG scene will subsequently produce more players? People will see moments like Poongko VS Daigo, witness the perfect and be like "Damn I wish I good play like that.".
    I know I did, for the briefest period of time.

The thing that drives me away from competitive Street Fighter is more or less the average level of competition this late in the game. It would take a whole lot of effort for someone like me to pick this game up now, and start taking it seriously.
    It's discouraging when you put in a solid while practising, only to get beasted at the next casuals you decide to chance your arm at SF.

That's just my input, as far as SF is concerned anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Definitely Kuro, I don't think any of us are against exposure for the FG scene - as long as it's not at a cost to the integrity of tournaments (the whole "esports" scene has had some pretty notoriously shady moments) or the development of games, which are definitely becoming a lot more spectator-oriented imo (stuff like x-factor in MVC3 artificially creating comebacks, same with ultras in SF4 vanilla).

Honestly I think SF4 is a pretty simple game to pick up, the main problem I'd see now is the number of characters and thus matchups you have to get familiar with (this is a big reason I haven't gotten into Tekken - just too much stuff to learn with 45 characters or whatever).

I mean, no matter how new or old the game is, there'll always be people at casuals/tournaments that are able to beast you - I think if you have a positive attitude towards playing and improving then the time other people have put in before you is an obstacle anyone can overcome.

For SF4 specifically, if you want to get into it and have any questions I'm happy to help out if I can (goes for other games I play as well though I don't know much about games other than ST/3s/SF4).

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Definitely Kuro, I don't think any of us are against exposure for the FG scene - as long as it's not at a cost to the integrity of tournaments (the whole "esports" scene has had some pretty notoriously shady moments) or the development of games, which are definitely becoming a lot more spectator-oriented imo (stuff like x-factor in MVC3 artificially creating comebacks, same with ultras in SF4 vanilla).

Honestly I think SF4 is a pretty simple game to pick up, the main problem I'd see now is the number of characters and thus matchups you have to get familiar with (this is a big reason I haven't gotten into Tekken - just too much stuff to learn with 45 characters or whatever).

I mean, no matter how new or old the game is, there'll always be people at casuals/tournaments that are able to beast you - I think if you have a positive attitude towards playing and improving then the time other people have put in before you is an obstacle anyone can overcome.

For SF4 specifically, if you want to get into it and have any questions I'm happy to help out if I can (goes for other games I play as well though I don't know much about games other than ST/3s/SF4).

I may just take you up on that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Dreddybajs wrote: »

I think it helps A LOT as well if the players who do the beasting have a positive attitude too and are freely dispensing knowledge and stuff. Letting the less good players know what they're doing wrong, what they could do better, and what options they have.

When Blinn was beasting me in 3S with Makoto at Dragonslayers he was really helpful, especially for her mix-up: "You only have two choices at the end of this combo, jump or block. You automatically lose if you press any buttons, no matter what move you're trying to do. If you guess right, you escape. If you guess wrong, I can continue the mix-up."

That hour of 3S casuals was probably the most I learned about any fighting game in one sitting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement