Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭wallpaper12

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina is the way to go. Loads of jobs, cheap accomodation everyone stays in the same motel for 80 dollars a week and absolutely no problem with being underage. one or two places can be a bit iffy but you always get let in but you get a big stamp on your hand saying underage but sure if you have drank enough before hand its no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kayla123

Is any1 thinking about long island ??.....im heading away with 4 friends and we were advised by usit to go to NY (long island) as its going to be the main spot for irish this summer!!!!we were told to try stay away from san fran and san diego because lack of jobs and cloudy weather!!.....is there any1 that has any info on long island with jobs accomodation etc....

and is there any1 planning on heading over to NY ??? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

kayla123 wrote: »
    we were told to try stay away from san fran and san diego because lack of jobs and cloudy weather!!

San Diego is certainly not cloudy! Unbelievable weather, one of the best parts about it. San Fran can be a bit cloudy and nippy sometimes, but you'll get good weather a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kayla123

:)...sorry i should clarify we were told san diego was difficult for gettings jobs and that san frans weather was cloudy mostly!..we were considering the west coast but have chosen NY !!....

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭IMightKnow

I very highly recommend Vancouver, Canada. There were loads of jobs there this summer. We lived in a frat house in UBC which is about 25 mins on the bus from city centre, loads of Irish live there. Living in the frat house was unreal. There was a mix of frat lads and Irish girls in the house(around 35 ppl in total) and there was always something going on.

We were mostly age 20 so avoided the id issues that would be a problem in the states, also meant we could get jobs that involved serving alcohol which a good few did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bogshepherd

Hey, me and some friends are going to Chicago for the summer and wondering if anyone has any contacts or advice with regards to jobs or accomodation???

also we were planning on maybe buying a piece of **** car with 2 weeks to go on our J1 and drive over to the west coast to stay with friends and then fly home from san fran, does anyone know the rules for buyin, driving a car in america. can this be done? how much would u pay? any help would be awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 michaella123

New York :) there graaaand with id most of the time....most of my friends back there dont have a problem but be safe and get fake id tho....like driving license and you'll be flying it :) Staying in Woodlawn this summeeerr :) x

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LaminatorSGL

Went upstate New York last summer and worked in an Irish pub in Saratoga. Had time of my life. I was only 20 at the time but lucked into a bar and made sure to buy the bouncer shots so he would remember my pretty face everytime I came knocking and it worked.

Also managed to get into other places in Saratoga too. Tried once in NYC before heading back and was served easily, just stayed in that one bar for about 8 hours, great fun.

Just curious though, plan to go with go4less next summer, a friend says they don't let you apply after January. Is this true or complete bollocks? Went with USIT last year and the were going all the way up into April/May if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kittycatc

WHOS GOIN TO OCEAN CITY 2012??????

Me and four other guys from offaly and laois goin, wud like to share accom if people are interesrted...first time j1er so cant wait to get out there and go mad...headin out 25th may 2012...

let me know if ur interested

me and my best friend are going to ocean city for summer 2012 :D we two girls from cork :D ...... we headed are out the 4th of june and are also first time j1ers.... we interested in knowing some ppls before we go over :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Is anyone else ging on their own? And will anyone be in New York?!

• Advertisement

a guy i work with is going to new york on his own!! has a job sorted already .... are you going on your own?

Kittycatc wrote: »

a guy i work with is going to new york on his own!! has a job sorted already .... are you going on your own?

Most likely! Trying to get a job sorted in the next month or so! I'm hoping to try get myself an internship!

Most likely! Trying to get a job sorted in the next month or so! I'm hoping to try get myself an internship!

where you from??

where you from??

From Wicklow :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cr92

Hey me and about 7 others are thinking of going to ocean city summer12 but we will all only be 20 is that a major issue here or do some places let you in with a wristband if your over 18?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 prescar

IMightKnow wrote: »
    I very highly recommend Vancouver, Canada. There were loads of jobs there this summer. We lived in a frat house in UBC which is about 25 mins on the bus from city centre, loads of Irish live there. Living in the frat house was unreal. There was a mix of frat lads and Irish girls in the house(around 35 ppl in total) and there was always something going on.

Hey, my friends and I are going to book Vancouver soon enough! It sounds great!! Are there loads of Irish there? I am hoping it's not full of them, in comparison to places like Boston...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cr92

is ocean city maryland very strict on ID if we are 20 and not yet 21?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Everywhere in the US is strict about id. I'm 27 and have been refused service in bars in the US a few times. I went for dinner with my 32 year old cousin one night, they wouldn't serve her because she didn't have id.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CharlieMulgrew

Ye myself and another lad from Kildare are looking into OC too...looks unreal, ive heard that they are strict with IDs but that its all about house parties so ye mightnd b missing out on much if ye cant into clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mpbmpb

Hey all . .

A Big gang of us from Cork/tipperary are headed to Ocean City this summer too heading out on the 25th! and wer all first time j1ers just looking to have the craic! My sister went there in 2010 and had a class summer! As far as I know shed said unless your 21 it's houseparties all the way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Everywhere in the US is strict about id. I'm 27 and have been refused service in bars in the US a few times. I went for dinner with my 32 year old cousin one night, they wouldn't serve her because she didn't have id.

To be fair New York and DC are both pretty relaxed id wise. I rarely got asked in DC and got asked once in 3 months in Manhattan. North Carolina isn't too bad either. California, New Jersey and Boston are the worst by a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

To be fair New York and DC are both pretty relaxed id wise. I rarely got asked in DC and got asked once in 3 months in Manhattan. North Carolina isn't too bad either. California, New Jersey and Boston are the worst by a long way.

I've always been been asked for id in New York and DC. The only place I've been served in the US without id was in Seattle. US bar staff don't seem to apply common sense at all. When I was there I had a massive beard and I look my age. Underage J1s will just have to chance their arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

I would definitely recommend Montauk, Long Island. Unbelievable place. I went over for summer 2009 and I would definitely go back in a heartbeat. Its a little small town at the end of Long Island, a 3hr train drive from NYC. You wake up and your basically on the beach, what more could you want. Place is full of Irish J1ers which is great for meeting people and having the craic. Jobs are easy to come by as well, I worked as a receptionist in a place called Wavecrest Resort, and I'm still in contact with the owners to this day. I'd recommend working in the likes of Montauk Downs Golf Club, Gurneys or even babysitting which is very well paid considering your basically minding millionaires children. Being 21 in Montauk isn't an issue either. You can get in anywhere with no hassle and there is always beach parties going on as well so you'll be fine! Accommodation wise theres not much choice, two main places, Ann Breyers(small and I mean VERY small cottages) or Tipperary Inn which are basically one room with bunkbeds and a bathroom, no cooking facilities or anything.

If your after a fun, fairly drunken J1 with other Irish people then I'd recommend Montauk! If anyone wants job contacts, feel free to pm me!

mpbmpb wrote: »
    Hey all . .

A Big gang of us from Cork/tipperary are headed to Ocean City this summer too heading out on the 25th! and wer all first time j1ers just looking to have the craic! My sister went there in 2010 and had a class summer! As far as I know shed said unless your 21 it's houseparties all the way!

where in cork ye from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Feekeey

Hi,

Myself and several others are heading Ocean City this summer for a J1.
    Most of which are 21+.
    Any one have any advice or anyone who just came from there last summer on the place?
    Also is there any quality accomodation or not ****?

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mpbmpb

where in cork ye from?

All over really from midelton, kanturk,mallow to macroom. why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 usernamefml

cr92 wrote: »
    Hey me and about 7 others are thinking of going to ocean city summer12 but we will all only be 20 is that a major issue here or do some places let you in with a wristband if your over 18?

If your not 21 i would steer clear of ocean city maryland. Place is a nightmare, only except passports everywhere except one night club which scans drivers licences for hallmarks and can tell fakes, but if you have somebody elses drivers licence thats real and looks like you then you can get in. So many got arrested for under age drinking and house parties.. not worth it!

Theres no such thing as being allowed in with wristbands or stamps if your u21. If your not 21, your not getting in at all! If you are 21 you get bands on entry in most places and if you pass those bands back to the underagers outside in one piece then yer in!

If you are 21 though.. Ocean city is unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 usernamefml

Feekeey wrote: »
    Hi,

Myself and several others are heading Ocean City this summer for a J1.
    Most of which are 21+.
    Any one have any advice or anyone who just came from there last summer on the place?
    Also is there any quality accomodation or not ****?

cheers!

Your in for a serious summer! Was there this summer. All Irish were living below 15th st.. you dont want to be up any further than that. It goes 15th st and down to 2nd and then theres the named streets.. The poor area where j1ers can afford rent! Most places are ok just dont rent somewhere without air con. Its ok in june but once july hits you wont be able to sleep..

If you go to the waterpark on like 30th street in early june they should be hiring lifeguards and they train you up, no experience required! You dont need CV's anywhere, just ask for the manager and talk them into hiring you.

Watch out for the police there.. they are EVERYWHERE, on foot, horses, bikes, you name it. Theyl do you for anything and arrested a heap of Irish. They HATED us. Theyl make you appreciate Irish gardai!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Does anyone know the total average cost of a J1?

I'm assuming depending on the city/job you choose you should be able to live off of what you make, I'm referring to admin costs/visa/flights/taxes etc.

Just researching at the moment, but cost will be the biggest factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 11811Karen

Hey guys, a few friends and I are planning on heading on a J1 this summer for the first time! all of us are over 21..

First of all, would you recommend USIT, Sayit or go4less? there seems to be mixed reports about them all and its hard to know which company to go with!

We were also thinking of going to New York for the summer. Anyone who was there in recent years, what was your experience like - re jobs, accommodation, nightlife, other Irish living there etc?

Would also think about San Fran, Ocean City, Boston... Pros and cons????

Thanks in advance, and sorry for all the questions lol!! :P

Advertisement