Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Hey,

Myself & 2 friends have our J1 booked, we're about to start looking at flights in the next couple of days. Our plan is to go to Chicago... We were hoping to fly into O'Hare, and fly back out of New York. Our go4less flight engine says this is possible but could cost more, does anyone know how much the difference could be? (I'm not sure if I can click into it and I'm scared if I click into one I won't be able to click the other :pac: flight engine saying 'If you are ready to submit your request to fly in and out of different airports click here' before I can see the flights)

Also, Could anyone point me in some sort of a decent direction about where to look for accommodation? It's me & 2 other guys...should we be looking for more people to chip in with or could getting our own place work out?
    I've tried looking at craigslist and the likes but haven't a breeze where to start, and looked at some fancy student places like Fornelli Hall but think they might be out of our price range (unless I'm interpreting something wrong...)

Any help/advice appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Was looking through the application for the J1 on USIT, is it necessary to know when your flying in order to apply for the J1. At the second step I was asked for departure date and I think the date of start of visa.

Is it possible to apply for the visa without flight dates, in the event I have a change of mind. If I was granted a J1 and didn't use it, would it set me back if I attempted to go next year instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TheBrackAttack

Just booked my J1 to Chicago with 10 others! Many heading there this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mikeythomas90

Me & a few mates are torn between Chicago & Ocean City...Some reckon Ocean City will get boring after the first month as it'll be the "same thing over & over again"...Although beach & parties sounds great to me...

Anybody have any information on that? Would Ocean City get boring after a month or so?

Seems like LOADS of Irish are going to Ocean City this year! :-)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Me & a few mates are torn between Chicago & Ocean City...Some reckon Ocean City will get boring after the first month as it'll be the "same thing over & over again"...Although beach & parties sounds great to me...

Anybody have any information on that? Would Ocean City get boring after a month or so?

Just wondering but would people not prefer to go to somewhere not full of Irish?!

Personally I'd prefer that. I'd stay at home if I wanted to be around Irish people!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the total average cost of a J1?

I'm assuming depending on the city/job you choose you should be able to live off of what you make, I'm referring to admin costs/visa/flights/taxes etc.

Just researching at the moment, but cost will be the biggest factor.

All in all I spent 2500 euro-including what I earned for 2 and a half months. I think I might have had another 200 to 300 in other fees before I went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭fearbainne

I went to Chicago, unbelievable spot.. loved it

Accom was hard enough ta come by it really helps if ya have something sorted out there before ya go... Otherwise stay in the getaway hostel for a few days, great craic n fulla irish, try stay with a few of them... also gota Dan O'Donnell in Armitage, especially if your a girl, he put some of my mates (girls) up in his penthouse apartment, took them out on the yacht etc. total creep but sure fcuk it he gives ya loads n buys ya food n drink n ****.. He'll also give ya a password n username for the de paul unis computers which is really handy...

I lived near magnolia avenue in wrigleyville which is perfect location ta live, really central n close to the red n brown lines..

Jobs were alright ta come by.. I went to the local alderman (like a td) n he gave me n a mate a few jobs pullin weeds n **** like that around the area for 10 dollars an hour, not payin taxes.. really handy cos no1 was supervisin so i spent a good 4 hours of the day at the beach.. Places on Navy Pier are always hirin too...

I was 20, so had a fake irish license, it worked everywhere the irish j1rs were goin but not in the city centre fancy kinda spots..

Went to Navy Pier and got on everythin for free, just pretend ya work somewhere down there and every place on the pier will give ya free stuff i.e. free boat tours, ferris wheel rides, ben n jerrys, etc.

Snuck inta Lollapalloza, its like oxegen except ya cant camp so ya havta sneak in everyday.. 1st day i bribed a stewart 20 dollars, 2nd day i jumped a few fences with about 30 other irish lads, savage craic.. 3rd day i jumped a fence on my own where there was f all security, happy enough..

Dunno what else ta say really, spent my days drunk at the beach, got kicked outta some cubs (baseball) matches, snuck inta U2, got cheap ticks for Britney and Rihanna outside.. Went to an American Football match..

My advice, try everythin, be cheeky as fcuk n try get things for free, it works alot.. Try sneakin inta places, its the best craic if it works.. one of my mates robbed jewel osco everyday for foodand drink (on one ocassion he stole 6 2litres bottles of vodka within 30 mins..) Go to block parties, they are '10 dollars' in, but thats optional so naurally no1 irish pay..

Any q's about anytin gimme a shout, i know thers a lot ther n some might seem like bs but it all hapend, best summer of my life.. wont forget it n might be back this year..

Oh yeah, i went with USIT.. dont think it makes much of a difference really but usit were fairly sound had no probs at all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mikeythomas90

Just wondering but would people not prefer to go to somewhere not full of Irish?!

Personally I'd prefer that. I'd stay at home if I wanted to be around Irish people!

I'd like the novelty of being one of a few Irish alright but it would also be sweet to party with other Irish in an American Beach Resort...Don't mind either way...It's Chicago or OC for me & both are meant to littered with irish

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

11811Karen wrote: »
    Hey guys, a few friends and I are planning on heading on a J1 this summer for the first time! all of us are over 21..

First of all, would you recommend USIT, Sayit or go4less? there seems to be mixed reports about them all and its hard to know which company to go with!

We were also thinking of going to New York for the summer. Anyone who was there in recent years, what was your experience like - re jobs, accommodation, nightlife, other Irish living there etc?

Would also think about San Fran, Ocean City, Boston... Pros and cons????

Thanks in advance, and sorry for all the questions lol!! :P

Usit are very expensive. I went go4less and found them good.
    revz wrote: »
    Hey,

Myself & 2 friends have our J1 booked, we're about to start looking at flights in the next couple of days. Our plan is to go to Chicago... We were hoping to fly into O'Hare, and fly back out of New York. Our go4less flight engine says this is possible but could cost more, does anyone know how much the difference could be? (I'm not sure if I can click into it and I'm scared if I click into one I won't be able to click the other :pac: flight engine saying 'If you are ready to submit your request to fly in and out of different airports click here' before I can see the flights)

Also, Could anyone point me in some sort of a decent direction about where to look for accommodation? It's me & 2 other guys...should we be looking for more people to chip in with or could getting our own place work out?
    I've tried looking at craigslist and the likes but haven't a breeze where to start, and looked at some fancy student places like Fornelli Hall but think they might be out of our price range (unless I'm interpreting something wrong...)

Any help/advice appreciated! :)

If you decide on Chicago just try live on the red-line (train), anywhere around lakeview. You'd be better off booking a hostel (the getaway) for the first few days, get to know the areas and look for an apartment then. The 3 of you could definitely live together. You'd probably get a 1-bed for less than 1000, and 2-3 for 1000-1500 (in good enough areas). There are loads of apartments on craigslist but its a nightmare to search through.
    tvercetti wrote: »
    Was looking through the application for the J1 on USIT, is it necessary to know when your flying in order to apply for the J1. At the second step I was asked for departure date and I think the date of start of visa.

Is it possible to apply for the visa without flight dates, in the event I have a change of mind. If I was granted a J1 and didn't use it, would it set me back if I attempted to go next year instead.

No, you just give rough dates at the start. You can apply without definite dates,not sure about consequences of not using it.

If you don't want to go where loads of irish are you'll have to do some researching. People always end up going to the same spot because they have heard of it through other J1ers having gone or going. Chicago is a great city but it is flooded with Irish during the summer.
    fearbainne wrote: »
    Accom was hard enough ta come by it really helps if ya have something sorted out there before ya go... Otherwise stay in the getaway hostel for a few days

I was 20, so had a fake irish license, it worked everywhere the irish j1rs were goin but not in the city centre fancy kinda spots..

I didn't find accommodation that hard to come by, walk around lakeiview for a while and you'll no doubt come across for rent signs. I'd say it'd be better not having a place before you go. Get there, stay in the getaway for a few days, get to know the area and where you want to live and then you can actually view an apartment before taking it, pictures can be deceiving sometimes.

Fake IDs will work in a lot places, but once the usual good spots get found out and EVERY irish person ends up in that bar on that night they get very strict with ID. With the amount of bars over there you'll of course find places that accept fake IDs but with Chicago becoming an increasingly popular J1 spot the popular bars have gotten stricter (i was there last summer for a few days visiting friends and couldn't get into a bar just because i was irish!)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the total average cost of a J1?

I'm assuming depending on the city/job you choose you should be able to live off of what you make, I'm referring to admin costs/visa/flights/taxes etc.

Just researching at the moment, but cost will be the biggest factor.

€2,000 is the normal cost, maybe more or a little tiny bit less!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 littlenightowl

Hey!

Anyone been in san fran,san diego,huntington beach or somewhere else in the states (colorado..NYC Hawaii etc.) that can look at them with any or all or this in mind? it would be a HUGE help

looking for somewhere with consistent but forgiving surf so I can improve my surfing (just about intermediate at the mo, on a 7.2) and try longboarding
    i think San Frans' beaches are for more advanced surfers?how about huntington or san diego?

Also would like to be able to get around on a skateboard so not tooo hilly but beggars cant be choosers and the surfs more important

a bitta sun too, friendly people, bitta nightlife altern. music, like the sound of beach/house parties. gigs r always good!

Goin with two other Irish girls and wouldnt mind being with other Irish but I'd like to get to know locals too, getting a bit of an impression that san diego is choked with irish..?

Lastly somewhere relatively light on the pocket, maybe jobs in lifeguarding or waitressing?do most people travel around on J1s if they cant decide?lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Feekeey

Cheers for that.

Also,

I will have to come back start of August and will wither go back ocean city for another month or just stay in ireland.
    Is it worth going for just 8 weeks?
    and I wont know if i will be able to afford to go back. Depends on money i make overthere and money i save here.

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 andy2854

Anybody thinking about Los Angeles , santa monica , venise beach , west wood anywhere like check out my thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76452270

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alicekcork

Hey guys, group of 12 of us are thinking about heading to newport- rhode island. What is the weather like? We heard it rains loads?? Also, is it easy enough to pack more than 5 into a house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 andy2854

i heard it rains a gud bit also, thats where i was meant to be going on my first j1 then decided cali was a better option weather wise etc:D

Is it worth going on a J1 if its only for 8 weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

A friend and I are currently in the process of booking a J1 with Go4Less, but there seems to be conflicting information on their website, and it's making me confused and worried!

Just wondering when exactly the closing date is for Go4Less and it also says that the Application Appointment was to be completed before the 6th of January, but when I went onto my account, I was able to book an appointment at the Go4Less office and everything, and they gave me the checklist and everything. This is our first time doing this and we're just kinda freaking out a bit that we've done something wrong or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dave2k10

€2,000 is the normal cost, maybe more or a little tiny bit less!

€2000..? Are you flying business class or something? I went to NY last year and then onto San Fran. I paid €1250 for the flights to NY, flight to San Fran 10 weeks later and then San Fran home. Included the Visa and all other embassy and sevis charge. If you're going to NY or Chicago, it shouldn't really be anymore than €900/1000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Johnny Blue 2

Is it possible to find work over in the states without getting the J1 visa, or are they very strict??.....

Awkward..... Its illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

You could try it but if you get caught you will get deported and be banned from entering the US for a good few years. If you're a student just make life easier for yourself and get the J1.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Hoping to head to San Diego :pac:

Quick question though, Is it at all possible to get the visa say through USIT but book your own flights separate? The flights are far cheaper it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Just a heads up to anyone that you must now have atleast $1200 Instead of $900 dollars if you are heading over without a job, if you are going with USIT they will have emailed you a form to be completed and handed back in by the 25th of January, otherwise you have to pay the full €279 visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Am I Evil? wrote: »
    Hoping to head to San Diego :pac:

Quick question though, Is it at all possible to get the visa say through USIT but book your own flights separate? The flights are far cheaper it seems

Short answer is no. If you book your own flights, your liable for the full Visa fee. I think in the case of Go4Less, it's €579. So unless your saving €200 or more on your flights, it really doesn't make sense to. It also means if you have any hassle with flights etc, you have to deal with it yourself.

I thought about doing the same, but the way it worked out, it was over €60 cheaper to book with Go4Less, and that was after extensive research on Skyscanner and individual airlines. It was also a Multi city flight. Saying that, the direct flights where about €70 more expensive with Go4Less, however we were saving well over €200 by now having to pay the full Visa fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

We've decided to just make it easier and book everything through USIT, Just have to decide between Dublin for cheaper flights or Shannon for the extra 150ish euro. But it's 20 mins drive

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

Anyone book San Fran through USIT, Sayit or Go4less and if so how much was total cost? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36 john paulo

€980 or so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Chopper10

Five of us thinking of thinking of heading to San Fran. Only one of us will be 21, just wondering is san-fran strict?. also what are the job prospects like?. heard that san diego is over all better any truth in this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MadMarre

Hey,theres two of us heading over to Chicago this summer, and we're looking to house share, if anyones interested gives an email. pink-peacock@hotmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

anyone heading to san diego? looks like ill be heading there on my own wouldnt mind meeting a few people before I went or something!

Advertisement