Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

Dave2k10 wrote: »
    €2,000 is the normal cost, maybe more or a little tiny bit less!

€2000..? Are you flying business class or something? I went to NY last year and then onto San Fran. I paid €1250 for the flights to NY, flight to San Fran 10 weeks later and then San Fran home. Included the Visa and all other embassy and sevis charge. If you're going to NY or Chicago, it shouldn't really be anymore than €900/1000.
    So it cost you more than my figure is what your after describing there!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Kerrybai

Quick question.

Im flying to myrtle beach from dublin via atlanta. The USIT office quoted the best ticket price for the dates 3rd June to 29 August as 1009 euro. That was with Delta Airlines.

I checked myself today on skyscanner and found tickets for 751 euro on the same date with KLM. Although it does involved stopping in France on the way back to Dublin.

Do USIT have to use certain airlines? Can I recommend the flights I found to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ioc

anyone heading to nyc give me a shout... ianocall@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Folie a deux

Kerrybai wrote: »
    Quick question.

Im flying to myrtle beach from dublin via atlanta. The USIT office quoted the best ticket price for the dates 3rd June to 29 August as 1009 euro. That was with Delta Airlines.

I checked myself today on skyscanner and found tickets for 751 euro on the same date with KLM. Although it does involved stopping in France on the way back to Dublin.

Do USIT have to use certain airlines? Can I recommend the flights I found to them?

You always get ripped off with the price of flights. Last year my flight cost €700 but the exact same flight on the Aer Lingus site was just over €500.

It's annoying but unfortunately its the only way you can do it as all the companies require you to book flights through them :(

€1000 is a crazy price for just the flights though! Mine cost €1000 for the whole thing last year..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hmmm!

Hey!! anyone book a J1 to california next summer yet. Just wondering how much it was including flights and everything as its hard to know who cheapest is as only SAYIT give the prices of flights before you book!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kittenkatxxx

hey! where did you get the fake irish passport as i will also be only twenty !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

hey! where did you get the fake irish passport as i will also be only twenty !

I'm not sure if your being serious, but having a fake or even a passport of someone else on your person is a VERY serious offense in any country. If you happen to be searched on the way into America by immigration, and its found, you'd be on the next flight home with a serious criminal record. Same would apply if the police stopped you.

Its entirely different to using your OWN old passport for a night out. Thats ok. But fake, fraudulent passports are seriously a no-no.

And a fake passport, a good one, will cost you a fortune. Seriously, drop that idea now.

it was only a question , no need to attack me !

Didn't wish to attack you. Just wanted to be crystal clear. Its about as illegal as document forging goes :)

i understand that , its just going to be hard going somewhere not drinking for three months when im so used to it . and i understand that it is their rules and that i could go somewhere that did allow it but i want to go there :) oh well ill just try to get in places when i get there

• Advertisement

i understand that , its just going to be hard going somewhere not drinking for three months when im so used to it . and i understand that it is their rules and that i could go somewhere that did allow it but i want to go there :) oh well ill just try to get in places when i get there

I wouldn't over think it. Like here, there is pre drinking. And most clubs have 21 sections, and under 21 sections, the only difference is a wrist band to move between the two.

Theres ways and means, apparently ;)

awh thanks a million i didnt know that ! your a great help !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭gags89

Go somewhere different - I did the 1yr J1 in LA, Staying in UCLA dorms - LA women (aka whurebags) left right and centre!

Hollywood on the weekends, beach during the day and vegas/skiing/SD/SF all road trippable on the weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Vengavamos

Hey!
    I'm thinking of doing a J1 in Florida this year either Orlando or Miami.
    Has anyone and experience advice for doing a J1 in Florida?
    I'm especially worried about getting jobs and I've heard the weather can be a bit hit and miss...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

he is right. my friend was caught and had a terrible time with the FBI. the guards have her passport now and she's to stay in ireland pending a full investigation

you're better off getting one of those novelty "fake" IDs online. some look like legitimate irish IDs. they definitely wouldn't work in ireland but in america it's not like they know what all our IDs look like

luckily i'm 21 though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mixthetricks

Hi.... just wondering...Im an experienced barman heading to Boston/NY for the Summer. I was wondering what the average take home pay is in both if you know. And am I better just heading over and calling into the bars rather than sending them CVs and cover letters. Any info would be much obliged :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

There's nothing in Boston at the minute...trust me on that...unless you know someone here go to NY!

You'll have to call in to places and yes, need CVs(well your resume....big difference) and references...places aren't going to just take your word for it...especially in NY!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Det. John Kimble

Vengavamos wrote: »
    Hey!
    I'm thinking of doing a J1 in Florida this year either Orlando or Miami.
    Has anyone and experience advice for doing a J1 in Florida?
    I'm especially worried about getting jobs and I've heard the weather can be a bit hit and miss...

hey! me and 2 of the lads booked a j1 to Miami last week! we're leaving the end of May for 3 months :)
    I wouldn’t be worried about jobs...from what i hear there’s plenty and little competition as only 1% of Irish j1ers go to Miami!
    the weather can be hit and miss but that’s only for the 1st month! after that its supposed to be hot hot
    As for accommodation coconut grove is the place to go, its where all the students go!
    let me know what u decide to do !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Royal1887

kmart6 wrote: »
    There's nothing in Boston at the minute...trust me on that...unless you know someone here go to NY!

You'll have to call in to places and yes, need CVs(well your resume....big difference) and references...places aren't going to just take your word for it...especially in NY!

How bad is it in Boston?. I am heading there on a 1 year visa in March. have looked at heading to New york as well.I am a Finance graduate btw

Royal1887 wrote: »
    How bad is it in Boston?. I am heading there on a 1 year visa in March. have looked at heading to New york as well.I am a Finance graduate btw
    Oh finance grade you should be ok! Willing to work in a bank?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Royal1887

Oh finance grade you should be ok! Willing to work in a bank?

Yeah a bank would be fine.I won't be too picky where I end up working.Did you end up in a hostel the first few weeks?. Was looking at boston Irish embassy and the abercrombie farrington inn.They seem the cheapest!?

Should look into TD Bank...have 5 or 6 friends working there but all finishing up in 6 weeks time or so as their Visa's are up! They say they've been great to work for so really look into it!

Actually stayed in a hotel for my first 5 nights, worked out cheaper than any hostel!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mup i said

hi i was just wondering where is the best place to go this summer! me and the boys are thinkin of going to san diego, miami or maybe ocean city! where is the best place for accom, jobs, nite life for under 21s, sunshine and women :);)

mup i said wrote: »
    hi i was just wondering where is the best place to go this summer! me and the boys are thinkin of going to san diego, miami or maybe ocean city! where is the best place for accom, jobs, nite life for under 21s, sunshine and women :);)

Myrtle Beach is supposed go be less strict on ID's and has great weather.

You always get ripped off with the price of flights. Last year my flight cost €700 but the exact same flight on the Aer Lingus site was just over €500.

It's annoying but unfortunately its the only way you can do it as all the companies require you to book flights through them :(

€1000 is a crazy price for just the flights though! Mine cost €1000 for the whole thing last year..

Had to pay 1089 for flights in the end. To be fair it is over 8 hours to atlanta and then another flight from there to MB. Still very pricey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gaaboy

Hi... For all of you thinking of Myrtle Beach Summer 2012.. I am currently looking into the possibility of opening a 100% Irish dedicated budget accommodation centre for J-1 Students. I have had first hand exp in the late 90,s as a student. I also witnessed the same difficulties Irish students have, during a spell in Myrtle Beach last summer. Deposits not being returned, Horrendous conditions, high rent and landlords who take advantage. This often puts a bad taste on the place for students when they leave. I am also hoping to put together a comprehensive guide to the Myrtle Beach, incl, jobs info, cost of living, transport, social scene etc..All I can say is that I had 2 great summers as a student and the place had the same buzz when i returned last year. 50 miles of beach...what can i say... send me a mail for more info.. conorkeane@hotmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 dublin34

They are now quoting almost €1000 to fly to NY in June and back in Sept. Have found flights myself online for €550!! this is outrageously overpriced!!!

Anyone else having this problem??????

Have you looked at going with the IIC?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 dublin34

Have you looked at going with the IIC?

IEC? You mean IIC Boston? Have emailed them. I have an internship organised already at the NY Capitol in Albany, hoping I dont have to pay these massive flight costs. It is criminal!!

Advertisement