Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 2012

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KimSweeney

I wouldn't advise living in New Jersey on a J1-oppressively hot, any J1 type jobs are exceptionally long hours (11-12 hour shifts, 6 days a week are common)and very badly paid (no requirement by law for employers to give breaks for lunch longer than 15 minutes and they will stick to it). Public transport is nigh on non existent which makes doing anything except going to the beach extremely hard. It's not expensive to live in it all, you'll easily find a place to live for 400 dollars a month no problem. Jobs wise-any resort town on the coast will be crying out for workers, especially since the recent change in visa rules for east Europeans.
    Thanks for the advice .. have you been there on a J1 yourself .. any advice on other places to go havto decide by the weekend .. also i wont be going till the end of june so it might be harder to settle in with accomidation and jobs because everyone else will have got theres

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KimSweeney

Kim Sweeney from Mullingar Kim Sweeney :O ???
    Nope Different Kimsweeney ..from Wicklow :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gaaboy

Hi guys.. I know quite a few of you have already contacted me regarding Myrtle Beach J1 2013 but if you havent and are thinking of heading there for summer 2013 please contact me at conorkeane@hotmail.com. We intend running the apartment/accommodation block for the Irish students again this year. If interested please let me know when you can so we can have some idea regarding the size of apartments that we will require this year again. Also we will provide you with as much info as we can regarding life in Myrtle Beach,finding work,nightlife etc...Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 28 HaloThere

Hi if anyone has any info on Cape cod/Hyannis as regards jobs or accommodation would be very much appreciated:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ja50n

Whats the requirments for a 3 month j1? Do you need to be a student?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 HaloThere

yes pretty sure you need to be a student check out usit's website!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

You do. I couldn't get one last year because I had deferred my year.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Thinking about heading over next year either America or Canada. Where do people recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Thinking about heading over next year either America or Canada. Where do people recommend?

Chicago.

That city has it all.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Chicago.

That city has it all.

Ha was actually thinking about Chicago myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Depends what you want really. I found San Diego to be amazing. Was in LA and San Francisco as well, and I'd go to San Diego out of the three. Briefly stopped in Washington DC too, wouldn't recommend it at all. New York has good reports too but I hear housing and work can be hard to come by give the size of the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Seriously though,

It's class.

You've got plenty of beaches along the coast, cheap J1 nights from Sunday-Friday, mostly between the city and Wrigleyville. You'll definitely get work over there, if push comes to shove, you can do furniture removal, tough hours but it is good money! I wouldn't recommend any where else, it's like a friendly NYC.

Oh, and Lollapalooza too, unbelievable festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Donagh13

Hi all,
    I went on a J1 back in 2008 to San Diego. I lived on Pacific Beach and tried really hard to get work but just ended up going on the piss and smoking dope for the whole thing.
    I ended up in trouble with the cops at one point and they gave me a citation which called for me to go to court in November but sure I just got my flight home and never thought of it again.

I am just wondering has anyone else been in trouble with the police in America and if you have been in trouble, have you heard or seen any consequences from it?

I am planing to go back to California before I die and being arrest at the air port and deported for a very very minor citation 5 years ago would really suck.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Seriously though,

It's class.

You've got plenty of beaches along the coast, cheap J1 nights from Sunday-Friday, mostly between the city and Wrigleyville. You'll definitely get work over there, if push comes to shove, you can do furniture removal, tough hours but it is good money! I wouldn't recommend any where else, it's like a friendly NYC.

Oh, and Lollapalooza too, unbelievable festival.

Yea went to NYC for a holiday a few years ago and loved it but want to head somewhere else , and if its not somewhere in Canada it will somewhere like Chicago/Boston/San Diego

Advertisement