Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying private advice please.

• 17-11-2011 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm viewing a bike tomorrow but have never bought privately, or secondhand.

What should I be looking in the guy I'm buying from?.

I'm mechanically competent so that won't be an issue, and I've had the bike reg checked - it comes back as not stolen and matches the bike.

Any other hints please?.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Check frame & engine numbers match the logbook if they're on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Have you looked at this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056198864

Obviously it's cars, but a lot of the same thing apply to bikes. Or will give you ideas on things to look out for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

A few thinks I look at, I always buy private and have been pretty ok so far.

Check the frame around the headstock, look for warping, cracks etc.
    Look for scuffing on the crank etc.
    Open the filler cap and have a look at the oil, should be a nice caramel colour, run if you see anything floating on/in it.
    Take a look at the oil filter, if it looks like it's never been changed I'd be wary.
    Stuff like nuts and bolts should all be similar, if they're all different colours, types etc then I'd suspect bodging.
    Always make sure you see the bike in clear light, it's amazing how many things you can miss in poor light.
    Best of luck.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

This might help with checking the vin number, it doesnt just have to match the log book, it has to be kosher.
    http://www.mcrg.org/dealer.html

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

bladespin wrote: »

Open the filler cap and have a look at the oil, should be a nice caramel colour, run if you see anything floating on/in it.
    Take a look at the oil filter, if it looks like it's never been changed I'd be wary.
    Stuff like nuts and bolts should all be similar, if they're all different colours, types etc then I'd suspect bodging.
    Always make sure you see the bike in clear light, it's amazing how many things you can miss in poor light.
    Best of luck.

This. I've bought a few bikes through the years but the last one I bought turned out to be a bogey. Bike itself was very clean with low mileage but it had been crashed at some stage and the frame restraightened. Its only at speed you notice it though! just be careful!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

bladespin wrote: »

Best of luck.

Yep, this will pretty much cover it. Especially around the headstock area, as this will show possible signs of hooliganism. If lads are messing on their bikes (wheelies etc.) you'll see signs of it and the headstock will be knackered. Also check the chain & sprockets for wear/damage. See what kind of condition the headers are in. If they're rusted to bits, it could be costly.

Best of luck with it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

This will keep you busy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the help.

Met the lad in Portloaise today, he brought me to his house (which I was happy about) and we closed the deal.

Nice bike, tbh its a minter.

It has a misfire issue to be sorted, can be fiddly to fix, and it needs new front brake pads.

But I got it for a great price and I'm happy enough to look after the misfire myself, and even if it costs me a few bob (fingers crossed it won't) the price I got the bike for more than makes up for any repairs.

Photos in the photos thread tomorrow :D

Photos in the photos thread tomorrow :D

Good stuff, can't wait to see it!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

What d'u get, what d'u get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Jonybgud wrote: »
    What d'u get, what d'u get?

Ah, sure - we are going to be kept waiting till tomorrow. :(

Oh sorry.

A Kawasaki Zephyr 750.

I was originally tempted to go for an old Z1, then came across this and took it.

Oh sorry.

A Kawasaki Zephyr 750.

I was originally tempted to go for an old Z1, then came across this and took it.

Savage, good on ya. I have a soft spot for the older Kwackers!! :D

Savage, good on ya. I have a soft spot for the older Kwackers!! :D

Yup, I fell in love with the Z1's after seeing Mad Max :D

Now to find a decent site for custom parts and do something with this.

I'd be tempted to go Cafe Racer, but I love the tail on the Z's - so I'm thinking more aggessive street fighter (maybe).

Anyway, just to sort the misfire out first.

Advertisement