Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine - Worst ISP in Ireland?

• 17-11-2011 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Apart from baldy conscience guitar jingle guy, I've been sat here for 20 minutes on hold listening to chillout music waiting for someone to fix my customers broadband which hasn't been working AT ALL since August...

What are other peoples experience with them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I've had them for the last couple of years and apart from the occasional outage (mainly due to works) Ive had little to no problem with them.

Whats your problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Had some service issues with them recently, their DNS servers are screwed from what I can see.

Accessing a site like youtube.ie or google.ie and you get a not found webpage from your browser.

Change your networking settings to use OpenDNS, hit refresh and instant access to the sites.

Those aren't exactly unpopular sites so I don't know what the hell is going on with them. From my experience they are slow to resolve issues when they crop up and your better off working it out on your own if you can or switching provider.

Of course I imagine most people with them are there because they don't want a landline or it is the only option available in there area.

Not sure how long they can stay in business offering this level of service TBH. I don't think they'll be around in the next few years myself.

One website I work with had constant problems with customers from Imagine using their resold Eircom packages complaining that they couldn't access the website all the time. The Sys Admin eventually walked around to their building to meet with them about the issues because their building was just around the corner at the time and within walking distance.

Pretty poor though. They had massive issues on their mast when we signed up to them here. I just kept emailing them TBH. They did solve the issues after about a month then but I think that was actual issues with the setup since it just went live. If they have been in your area a while and it is not DNS issues, it is probably contention issues.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Have them well a good while now with very little issues ,

Im a happy customer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

{^Syntax^} wrote: »
    Apart from baldy conscience guitar jingle guy, I've been sat here for 20 minutes on hold listening to chillout music waiting for someone to fix my customers broadband which hasn't been working AT ALL since August...

What are other peoples experience with them?

Have a line with imagine a couple of years rarely any problems, but it has been down for about a month now. Still waiting for an engineer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Imagine have their own mobile WiMax and re-sell Eircom dsl, the two products shouldn't be compared, chalk and cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Not to mention the clearwire & Irish Broadband networks they own now

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mammu

I ordered imagine bb last year in June, received nothing, I even forgot that Ive ordered somethig..but 6 months later I received a bill for 5 months..that was a surprise. After few months fights and complains with imagine, received a bill € 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 delma_s

hello everyone.
    I saw you have problems with imagine donwload limit is well, I talk with imagine support by email and I got the answer, which is more than funny

There is no Limit on our service. It is subject to a Fair Usage Policy and Acceptable Usage Policy that you have read and is clearly printed below for you.

We will limit your service if we feel that you and others' usage is having an effect on the network. We cannot say that your limit is 20Gb or 50gb or 100gb or 500gb because it depends on the usage on that particular site and is not accurate for the whole country so our service is unlimited to all residential customers depending on usage to that particular site.

Who are they??? that they may feel when I use too much internet, and how they know how much I need it, I chose imagine because they declared that there is no download limit

is someone know good solicitor in Cork area, which is working with IT cases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

delma_s wrote: »

We will limit your service if we feel that you and others' usage is having an effect on the network. We cannot say that your limit is 20Gb or 50gb or 100gb or 500gb because it depends on the usage on that particular site and is not accurate for the whole country so our service is unlimited to all residential customers depending on usage to that particular site.

This "unlimited" issue has been well flagged up and Comreg were supposed to do something about it but of course being utterly useless they did absolutely nothing at all. Nor are they likely to do anything as consumers are a mere inconvenience to Comreg...

http://irelandoffline.org/2010/06/when-is-unlimited-not-unlimited/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

I have had 1MB broadband for maybe 5 years with Imagine (not WIMAX). Never had any real issues with it, worked ok for what I needed.

Letter arrived today saying that are not offering 1MB anymore to new customers. They are now only offering 3Mb and are giving it free for the next month. If I like it I will be charged €5 extra per month come January. If I don't they will leave me at the 1MB.

Pages seem to load a bit quicker all right. I will try and download a movie in a while and that will be the true test for me. I tried a speedtest and I am getting 2.6MB.

Maybe I could get a better deal if I shopped around but everything works ok for me at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Walshclan

DO YOU BELIEVE THESE GUYS??????????????? My Internet and phone just stopped working at 09h00 today (Saturday). I phoned Wimax Technical Support. "Sorry, our technical support offices are only open Monday to Friday". WHAT THE **** DO I DO WITHOUT CONNECTIVITY THE WHOLE WEEKEND? NO PHONE, NO INTERNET, a son who is at college with lots to do this weekend and unable to connect to his courseware. DON'T GO NEAR THIS BUNCH OF WASTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Walshclan wrote: »
    DO YOU BELIEVE THESE GUYS??????????????? My Internet and phone just stopped working at 09h00 today (Saturday). I phoned Wimax Technical Support. "Sorry, our technical support offices are only open Monday to Friday". WHAT THE **** DO I DO WITHOUT CONNECTIVITY THE WHOLE WEEKEND? NO PHONE, NO INTERNET, a son who is at college with lots to do this weekend and unable to connect to his courseware. DON'T GO NEAR THIS BUNCH OF WASTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There isn't a provider in the country provide technical support on weekends.

Have you tried the usual, turning it off and back on again? It may just be a simple issue. Is there lights on the modem?

Thanks PogMoThoin - this service is so bad I know the routine :-)) done it many times. Yes, lights on modem, wireless is working - just shows no internet connection and I have no phone either. Tried rebooting the modem. Also, unplugged the electricity mains to the whole system, wait one minute, plug in again (so that the roof unit reboots) - still nothing. Now connected with my Vodafone Mobile connection which I have to keep as a standby.

BTW - UPC support hours: "our Technical Support lines are open 9am – 9pm Monday to Sunday including Bank Holidays". When my contract with Wimax is over, I am gone!!

Also, Magnet: "Customer Care opening hours from 9am to 9pm Monday to Friday and 10am to 4pm Weekends and Bank Holidays""

BTW - UPC support hours: "our Technical Support lines are open 9am – 9pm Monday to Sunday including Bank Holidays". When my contract with Wimax is over, I am gone!!

Anyone regularly reading this forum will tell you that UPC's customer support is known as being terrible, the threads posted here over the years say so.
    Also, Magnet: "Customer Care opening hours from 9am to 9pm Monday to Friday and 10am to 4pm Weekends and Bank Holidays""

Yes, you will get through to a girl in a call centre who reads a script out to you over the phone, they will log your complaint and a technician will act on it on Monday. Technical staff do not work weekends.

Script = India!! I avoid companies that off shore our jobs. I really do not know who I will change to next. When you look them up, they are all crap :-((

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭Nollog

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Anyone regularly reading this forum will tell you that UPC's customer support is known as being terrible, the threads posted here over the years say so.

In fairness to UPC, about 2 weeks ago the internet around my area went down on Saturday around 3 and they had it fixed by 5ish.
    When I rang to complain there was an automated message saying they were working on the problem.

I was with imagine in Thurles a few years back, they were pretty crappy back then, dunno about now.
    I wouldn't go with them.

To be totally fair, I emailed Wimax and they phoned me back. Said I phoned the wrong number. I looked on their web site again, in a bold box that have a number that seems to represent the one to use. When you phone it, they say technical support is closed. (Mon - Fri only), However in small print, there are three numbers. After spending 15 - 20 minutes plugging and unplugging and them testing, my lines came back. They say my power supply was not properly plugged in. Yes, right ... It was working from 17h00 to 09h00 - no one touched it .. it stopped all on it's own, the modem and roof box are plugged into the same socket - the modem has lights all working .. but the power connection is at fault? Yeh, right. Oh well, at least they responded and my problem is fixed.

The turn it off and back on again trick fixes most IT problems :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You emailed imagine..not wimax....lol

Wimax is a technology not a product or company.

Advertisement