Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spare Change?

• 17-11-2011 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭

I was in Dublin for the last few days and as per usual I was inundated for change on numerous occasions

It got me wondering. How much would the average beggar make per day? Or even per hour?

Does the type of beggar effect the amount of change they receive, i.e. does a toothless junkie Irish beggar hanging around LUAS stops get less than a gypsy squatted on a piece of cardboard on O O'Connell bridge?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Fishooks12 wrote: »

Does the type of beggar effect the amount of change they receive, i.e. does a toothless junkie Irish beggar hanging around LUAS stops get less than a gypsy squatted on a piece of cardboard on O O'Connell bridge?

toothless junkie Irish beggar €37 a day

gypsy squatted on a piece of cardboard€53 a day

= Pimp € 80 .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

You got any spare change OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Whoever has an animal beside them will get more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I was in Dublin for the last few days and as per usual I was inundated for change on numerous occasions

It got me wondering. How much would the average beggar make per day? Or even per hour?

You trying to find a niche in the maket OP? Oh you sly old fox you. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Misticles wrote: »
    Whoever has an animal beside them will get more!

Especially if it's a rabbit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Like the girl on Grafton Street walking up and down approaching people in tears "Pleeeease Sir, d'ya have any spare change :("

She's there every bloody time. Meryl Streep would be proud of those skills. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's not as common in Galway, thankfully, but they do hang around ATMs on Shop Street etc.
    Pretty lucrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

chin_grin wrote: »
    Especially if it's a rabbit.

Yup. I never give beggars money but I did to that man!

I'm a sucker for an animal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭IdidIt

I'd say the old lady that lays on the ground saying "Can somebody help me pleeee-asssse?" doesn't make much, I'm always confused with what she wants help with... does she have a crossword or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

apparently they can make up to 200 a day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Like the girl on Grafton Street walking up and down approaching people in tears "Pleeeease Sir, d'ya have any spare change :("

She's there every bloody time. Meryl Streep would be proud of those skills. :rolleyes:

I think I know the one your talking about. She kinda bleats at you 'Would ya help me pleeeease?"

Misticles wrote: »
    Yup. I never give beggars money but I did to that man!

I'm a sucker for an animal!

It's ironic isn't it. When there's an animal we're more generous to give some change as we feel that we're helping the animal. If their on their own we're less inclined. Cunning beggars are cunning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If people are in tears, you`d think she would leave them alone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

The last job my husband had was on mary st and he got hassled everyday. one guy in particular asked him everyday for a euro. This went on and on and eventually hubbie asked him what he wanted it for. The reply - vodka!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

They make a lot more than you would think.
    The ones who use babies as guilt props should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Exposing the stump to a missing limb is surely worth an extra 10%
    Kid under 10 playing the accordian about 25%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Government needs to crack down hard on beggars I think. Hit it at its source and do away with change altogether. Sooner we get this futuristic credit system thing off the ground the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Well, its common for the general public to make forced donations to Pavee Point. Your 'gis a euro' money will go towards much needed chicken nuggets for the children, a stretch Hummer for the up coming wedding and immunity from a shlap in the jaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I don't even pay any attention to them now if any one beggar chuggers approach me they get a look that could break glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

I'm always amazed at the neck of the ones sitting under the ATMs, as if you'd feel guilty enough to slip them a crisp 20.. I Don't be too charmed having to straddle them to get to the machine either.

I'm always amazed at the neck of the ones sitting under the ATMs, as if you'd feel guilty enough to slip them a crisp 20.. I Don't be too charmed having to straddle them to get to the machine either.

Essentially it's loitering. And the low lifes who stand beside the luas tickets machines too :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I was in the pub at Dublin Heuston station a couple of weekends ago and I was on the phone and in my 15 minute phone call three beggars came up asking me for money. One of the beggars also went through all the ash trays on the tables putting half used fags in his cigarette packet before the landlord shooed him away :D:eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I was in burger king on o connell street when a women asked for change off two amercan tourists, when they refused she told their daughter they had parents, disgusting:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭G S R

Some newspaper ran an article a few years back where a journalist dressedup as a begger for a day and earned the bones of €200. Serious money to be made.

I was in Kilkenny one night where a lad came up to me with an empty paper cup. I wasn't drinking but threw him 2 or 3 euro. I seen him take the money out of the cup, put it in his back pocket and approach another couple across the street. It wouldn't surprise me if he earned over €100 in the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Got any change?
    About .. Three Fiddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭chiloutus

LiamN wrote: »
    Got any change?
    About .. Three Fiddy?

You gave him three fiddy?

I remember reading about a chap that took the coins out of fountains in Dublin and made approx 75K a year!

When Dail Eireann found out the sale of waders went through the roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

There were 3 beggars on the CHQ bridge on Tuesday - 3 fooking beggars on one bridge!!!!

Wrecks my head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

One guy around Dundalk always asks for change for a cup of tea. Never seen him near a cafe once!

Would like to tell him to go home and make a cup of tea himself as he lives nearly directly opposite where I work.

Annoying fcukers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I gave a lad 2 euro for a 'bus' in Dundalk only to see him dumping a load of change on an off-licence counter 3 hours later. That hardened me against beggars it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

It's ironic isn't it. When there's an animal we're more generous to give some change as we feel that we're helping the animal. If their on their own we're less inclined. Cunning beggars are cunning.

That's not at all ironic!!! :mad:
    Not only is it obviously not irony to me, but you've explained in your own post how it's not at all ironic.

And in response to the highlighted bit above: We probably are? Despite what you may think, dogs need to be fed.

:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

if they truly earn 200 euro a day then the cash will be in their back pockets. Hence they should be fined say at least 50% of whatevers found in their pockets by random Garda inspections. The state needs the cash anyway and people on the streets all day boozing cost us more money in healthcare etc.

That's not at all ironic!!! :mad:
    Not only is it obviously not irony to me, but you've explained in your own post how it's not at all ironic.

And in response to the highlighted bit above: We probably are? Despite what you may think, dogs need to be fed.

:confused::confused::confused:

Ironic as in.

Beggar with a burger king cup = Feck that no change for you!
    Beggar with a burger king cup and a rabbit = I'm sure I have some change somewhere.

Fellow man indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

Like any business Model

its all about the Pitch!

Drug Problem/ Aids Add 10%
    With animal Add 10%
    Accompanied by Child under ten Add 10%
    Missing limb Add 20%
    No shoes Add 30%
    Crying Add 40%
    In Rain Add 50%
    In Snow Add 60%