Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How has your plans or aspirations in Life been effected by the recession??

• 17-11-2011 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I'm 25 years old and have wanted to be a member of the Gardai since a young age.

Further Cuts today to the Public Service is making it look increasingly likely I will never become a Garda.

Also Cuts are coming to the Student Grants and a raise in Fee's will see less people attending College. Thus leaving more people unable to achieve their dream or reach their potential.

What has the recession done to your plans or aspirations, do you think you will ever truly be what you you've always wanted to be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I plan on 'retiring' at age 45. I'm 31.

By retiring I mean having the option to not work if necessary but rather work in a role I love.

Still on track with that one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I wanted to invest in Anglo Irish shares, but alas it doesn't look like that sturdy investment idea will fly now....

I haven't effected any plans as a result of the recession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

oh god yes - had hoped to go either part time or stay at home as hubbie was earning good money but thats not going to happen now - roles are reversed in that respect! I'm stuck now in a job I hate but at least I have one - will most likely be working til I'm 68. Oh well!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

recession? i've been in a depression the last 10 years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I want to be a teacher but I can't afford college and there's no jobs anyway.

So I reckon I'll just go on the game or something instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

phasers wrote: »
    I want to be a teacher but I can't afford college and there's no jobs anyway.

That's the spirit!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Had to leave the country to pursue a decent career.

Ill probably won't work or live in Ireland again which saddens me.

So yes, very much so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I couldn't get a job, so I became a priest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I really hoped to work my way up in administration.... It's going to take a lot longer when there are no jobs to progress to :( I feel a bit stuck in a rut sometimes.

• Advertisement

I wanted to buy a house, but I couldn't get a mortgage.

I now in live in the shed in my Mother's back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I wanted to be rich. Wasn't happening before, not happening now. I did get made redundant as a result of the recession, which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mdoyler2

i wanted to win the lotto, but now i can't afford lotto tickets....

I wanted to buy a house, but I couldn't get a mortgage.

I now in live in the shed in my Mother's back garden.

I was in court once, for an offence which I never did guv, and there was a man who was living in a horsebox in the garden of his grandfather. So like. It could be worse, friend.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I was in court once, for an offence which I never did guv, and there was a man who was living in a horsebox in the garden of his grandfather. So like. It could be worse, friend.

I dream of living in a horsebox. The mobility factor is hugely appealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I've an old people carrier sitting in my front garden, anyone want to rent it?

Rent allowance not accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its turned from aspirational to survival

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I've been lucky so far. Went on 3 days pw for a bit but back on top now.

I think, like a lot of people, I don't have it bad at all but in my head I've gone from "bulletproof" (ah sure there'll always be jobs, I'll walk into another job tomorrow) to fearful of every big spending decision.

Still in the business/career path I wanted to be in. But I'd trade that now for a job in another area with more security. To be fair, that's probably the impact of getting married rather than the recession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Only in one way, i only really expected to be on the dole for about a year or less after i graduated, thought that by now id at least have a good job possibly in a bar or hotel as thats what ive been trained in and qualified, with a good few chances to move up the career ladder from there too.
    Therefore having my own place etc now would be a lot easier and a lot more doable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

I have cheaper rent, cheaper food and i'm on track to graduate in 2 years so it hasn't affected me very much. I think its a shame others won't be able to go to college. But most treat it as a right rather than a privilege now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭heno86

I'm 25 years old and have wanted to be a member of the Gardai since a young age.

Further Cuts today to the Public Service is making it look increasingly likely I will never become a Garda.

Also Cuts are coming to the Student Grants and a raise in Fee's will see less people attending College. Thus leaving more people unable to achieve their dream or reach their potential.

What has the recession done to your plans or aspirations, do you think you will ever truly be what you you've always wanted to be?

literally the exact same as yourself..including age

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

There is going to be a whole generation of highly qualified people working in dead end jobs in a few years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

Couldn't goto college and now I'm very disgruntled with the fascists in power.

heno86 wrote: »
    literally the exact same as yourself..including age

My only saving grace is i have a job, quite a good job. But ultimately its not what I want to do. I'd take a pay cut to join the Gardai and I'm not even on that great of Money.

The thoughts of being stuck in this rut for the next 10 years is enough to send one over the edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

also lost a lot of mates to drugs and suicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

They haven't, because I refuse to limit my self to a country that has such small chance of high success Im the person who can go any were in the world and work I don't have anything tieing me down and will fly to any were in the world given a phone call.

Ive just deferred from college because i was pissed off with booth the course and the direction it was going in Im now at a point were I can say Im on the right direction. Any fool can make money in the boom its these times is were real skill and directed people make money..
    Sorry but a recession is not what were experiencing its a lot of bad dept
    people can still get jobs and if one trades men says oooo i worked as a brick for 8 years in the good times that was 8 years it wasn't all your life you made a decision to beceom one so what stick on the dole or go retrain ? and make your self useful again its life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭heno86

My only saving grace is i have a job, quite a good job. But ultimately its not what I want to do. I'd take a pay cut to join the Gardai and I'm not even on that great of Money.

The thoughts of being stuck in this rut for the next 10 years is enough to send one over the edge.

yeh i know what you mean,im much more interested in job satisfaction than money driven. im just doing everything i can in the mean time to increase my chances for next recruitment and am in college doing a psych degree so worse case scenario i'll look for work in hat area but i'll be settling,ive even considered going abroad to do the same job

They haven't, because I refuse to limit my self to a country that has such small chance of high success Im the person who can go any were in the world and work I don't have anything tieing me down and will fly to any were in the world given a phone call.

Ive just deferred from college because i was pissed off with booth the course and the direction it was going in Im now at a point were I can say Im on the right direction. Any fool can make money in the boom its these times is were real skill and directed people make money..
    people can still get jobs and if one trades men says oooo i worked as a brick for 8 years in the good times that was 8 years it wasn't all your life you made a decision to beceom one so what stick on the dole or go retrain ? and make your self useful again its life.

What do you mean by small chances of high success?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 feelingblue

phasers wrote: »

I actually had to go on the game.....college fees and bills to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I was going to be a big swinging property baron in Bulgaria but that's obviously down the sh1tter now.

Time to dust off my hitman plan.

What do you mean by small chances of high success?

go chat to some one who owns and irshh company or one thats trying to make a living on there own, the tax margin is something.. serious... the margin to make money is very small doubling prices isn't always to pay for something but to cover the mass's of dutys you have to pay for on said items...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

As you are the first young people in the histroy of the world to grow up in a recession, none of the older boards members can resonably be expected to fully grasp the magnitude of your grief and shock.

go chat to some one who owns and irshh company or one thats trying to make a living on there own, the tax margin is something.. serious... the margin to make money is very small doubling prices isn't always to pay for something but to cover the mass's of dutys you have to pay for on said items...

I know plenty of people who run their own companies and are successful, I suppose everyone measure of success is different.

stovelid wrote: »
    As you are the first young people in the histroy of the world to grow up in a recession, none of the older boards members can resonably be expected to fully grasp the magnitude of your grief and shock.

Let me guess a fogie like yourself has lived through harder times so we should quit our moaning?

It actually the older generation of people that got us into this mess in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭whatislife

Time to grab life by the balls, if you want it bad enough it will happen eventually.

Why not become a policeman in england or somewhere else and work your way back over here?

• Advertisement

I recommend going abroad to teach English.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

stovelid wrote: »

*history* and please shut up

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭binxeo

I was a single mum and dreamt of going back to college and get my degree. I applied for a place in Maynooth as a mature student got it, and got offered another place on another course, so I took the one I wanted and went for it. Half way through my first year myself and my boyfriend got engaged and moved in together. We had planned on being married when I started my 3rd year in college which should have been this year.

Neither dream has happened, my partner lost his job in July and as it was things were tight enough. So this September when I should of been entering my final year of my degree I have had to drop out because financially we can't afford it and we have had to postpone the wedding, which was meant to take place October just gone, indefinitely.

So yeh this recession has taken my dreams from me. BIG TIME!!! Also I will never be able to return to my studies as I will not be entitled to my grant for the first two years of any degree, and I don't see myself being able to afford to pay privately if they bring in fees. This country makes me laugh. They want people in education but make it impossible for them to be there.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I recommend going abroad to teach English.

Not a chance.....

Im going to disney land /dribbles

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭chiloutus

Not exactly as bad as alot of people here but anyways:

Always wanted to go to NUIG to study Computer Science and had gotten the points for it, but this year as the huge influx of students going into the IT sector the points rose by 65 so I missed out on it by 30 points. I'm now studying a level 7 degree in IT Carlow without a grant or any state assistance.

I wont be doing a masters in this country and I wont be coming back after it. This country has given the middle finger to my generation and they'll be the ones to miss out on our revenue generation.

Also, yes I was at the march yesterday ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

All I really want to do is go around the world a bit, live in a few different places, learn a few languages. Oh and write. Write f*ck tonnes of books, poems, plays until I croke it. So I guess no it hasn't.

I'd better look at getting a degree though, earning a bit more money than I am now would be nice! But there's a million ways to do it. Open University over a number of years, or go to college here in Europe since most tuition is dirt cheap anyway.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

I know plenty of people who run their own companies and are successful, I suppose everyone measure of success is different.

great so is this judgement from the car they drive the computers they own or the number of staff they employ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I had dreamed of having a decent job by 25. How foolish I was :/

I was hoping to join the Gardai but NOPE.

Honestly no Idea what to do now. I tried to start up a few businesses but also a big fat nope. Im a bit apprehensive about moving abroad because I live with my girlfriend of 5 years and she works full time so I'm kinda stuck in this kip.

great so is this judgement from the car they drive the computers they own or the number of staff they employ?

As i said the measure of success is different to different people. Some measure their success on the amount of lines of Coke they can afford at the weekend, others measure it on the life they can afford to their wife and kids. It's all relevant.

For me success is Job satisfaction and earning enough money to provide for hopefully my future wife and kids.

Incidentally what's success for yourself seems your harping on about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

I really hoped to work my way up in administration.... It's going to take a lot longer when there are no jobs to progress to :( I feel a bit stuck in a rut sometimes.

This. Currently working in a secretarial job where there is absolutely no chance of promotion - and I'm on what was minimum wage when I started, in Dublin city centre. I came out with more money at the end of the week on the dole.

This. Currently working in a secretarial job where there is absolutely no chance of promotion - and I'm on what was minimum wage when I started, in Dublin city centre. I came out with more money at the end of the week on the dole.

This is the biggest thing - the absolute zero chance of bettering yourself, furthering your career by gaining or seeking promotion.

Employers now hold all the cards, imagine asking now after a successful 6/12 months where the company made a profit for a raise or some sort of bonus?

You'd be laughed out the door.

As i said the measure of success is different to different people. Some measure their success on the amount of lines of Coke they can afford at the weekend, others measure it on the life they can afford to their wife and kids. It's all relevant.

For me success is Job satisfaction and earning enough money to provide for hopefully my future wife and kids.

Incidentally what's success for yourself seems your harping on about it?

whats success to me being in Bolivia with two sexy bolivian chicks while snorting vast amounts of coke of each other while suffering anxiety attacks because i can't get it up...

don't want to disappoint your gaurda out look on life :rolleyes:

whats success to me being in Bolivia with two sexy bolivian chicks while snorting vast amounts of coke of each other while suffering anxiety attacks because i can't get it up...

don't want to disappoint your gaurda out look on life :rolleyes:

Typical Coke Junky reply. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I wanted to live in a glass palace and wear fur coats with golden brogues on my feet but alas I have to settle for a plastic mac with little fish in the pockets, a dilapidated horse box as a home and shoes made from empty crip packets (yes, crip).

• Advertisement
Advertisement