Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How has your plans or aspirations in Life been effected by the recession??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I wanted to live in a glass palace and wear fur coats with golden brogues on my feet but alas I have to settle for a plastic mac with little fish in the pockets, a dilapidated horse box as a home and shoes made from empty crip packets (yes, crip).

Barry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Typical Coke Junky reply. :D

I just didn't wanna disspoint you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I'm considering doing a TEFL course and fuking off to Asia for a bit next year. There's always demand for English teachers. I really feel like I want to get away from the relentless negativity for a while. I need a good six month break from watching Vincent Browne have a nervous breakdown every night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Trying to find a job after illness is a nightmare. There are plenty of jobhunters with no CV gaps out there who can't find work, so when you DO have gaps, fawgeddaboutit. :(

Plus, try getting a minimum wage job when you have a degree. Difficult, very difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Downlinz

In practical terms very little since I've been in college the whole time during it. It has changed my mindset a lot though, I feel a lot more apprehensive, maybe a bit depressed. Used to feel so optimistic and carefree about the future, probably a much stronger mentality than constant worry.

Have noticed most firms have since killed their internship programs which I would previously have hoped to get into, makes it harder for someone without industry experience to get into industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Let me guess a fogie like yourself has lived through harder times so we should quit our moaning?

Spot on.

I hear Cape Cod has a booming busboy market though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Barry?

Barry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

If anything, the recession has focused my plans and aspirations in life. Before now, I was very much of the mindset of "Wake Up --> ???? --> Profit!" There was always the arrogant assumption that, because I had certain skills and opportunities were around every corner, a big pay-off would just emerge at some point.

Thanks to the recession, I've had to get a firm grip on what I want in life and how I go about achieving it, and every single day requires me to put in more-and-more effort to do so. This entire process has made it essential for me to finally tap into my abilities and be brutally realistic about my shortcomings, thus either changing direction or upskilling.

Though it's still tough going and a big pay-off hasn't emerged yet, at least there's a firm Plan A, B and C there now. And, I fully believe, that I will be much better for being forced to come up with them in the long run. Because the contingency plans are there, the groundwork has been done, so now it's just a case of knocking on enough doors for one to open and go from there.

I've said it here before and I'll say it again, the recession doesn't have to be the end. It can be the biggest opportunity of your life. You just need to decide and commit to the reality that you aren't going to sink, you're going to do whatever it takes to swim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

My life hasn't really been affected by the economic troubles, other than the fact I can snigger at the trouble the euro and the eurozone are in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Batsy wrote: »
    My life hasn't really been affected by the economic troubles, other than the fact I can snigger at the trouble the euro and the eurozone are in.

How do you think Britain's economy will fare if the crisis within its biggest trading partner gets worse? Will you be sniggering then?

Got voluntary redundancy which gave me a ticket to start my travels. Best thing that could have happened me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Biggles1980

I'm 25 years old and have wanted to be a member of the Gardai since a young age.

Further Cuts today to the Public Service is making it look increasingly likely I will never become a Garda

You've 10 years to go before you're over the eligible age to join the Gardai. Cut off age is 35. Don't give up hope. I guarantee you there will be a recruitment drive before then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

job security is now more important than career progression, years ago people would jump ship if they werent moving up the ranks, now people are staying put in jobs where they should be getting more money.

Advertisement