Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Berlin get to see our Budget first ?

• 17-11-2011 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭

Berlin get to see our Budget first?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1117/breaking50.html

Government 'to raise VAT by 2%'

Minister for Public Reform Brendan Howlin today declined to confirm or deny a report the Government will increase the top rate of VAT by 2 per cent in next month's budget.

According to documents presented to a budget committee of the German lower house of parliament in Berlin yesterday, the Government will raise the top rate of Value Added Tax (VAT) to 23 per cent, generating an additional €670 million.

It will make up the rest of the €1 billion it is targeting in new revenue measures through indirect taxes.

Asked today to confirm the report, Mr Howlin said “it’s information that hasn’t happened”.

He insisted the Government had yet to make any budgetary decisions. “The Budget is a work in progress,” he told RTÉ’s News At One. “I’m certainly not going to comment on any potential elements of it, but I can tell you there are no decisions in relation to any element of the Budget, and there won’t be until the entire package is before Cabinet.

“The issue [VAT increase] that you mentioned is part of the Memorandum of Understanding. The timing might be somewhat different, but I’ve no idea the basis of discussions in the German Bundestag.”

However, Fianna Fáil’s Michael McGrath called on Minister for Finance Michael Noonan to immediately make a statement to clarify the matter.

Mr McGrath said: "According to the reports, members of the German parliament have been given details of the Irish Budget three weeks before the Irish parliament and the Irish people."

"If this proves to be true, it would be a staggering and unprecedented breach of faith with the Irish parliament and Irish people on budget plans."

"It would represent a fundamental breach of established protocols in relation to the disclosure of budgetary measures," he added.

Ireland is committed to making budgetary adjustments of €3.8 billion for next year under its EU-IMF bailout, and Minister for Finance Michael Noonan has said he will not reveal the exact measures until he presents Budget 2012 on December 6th.

"After successive budgets in which income tax burdens were raised significantly, we have decided to focus on indirect tax increases to deliver the bulk of the 1 billion euros additional tax effort required in 2012," the document, which was seen by Reuters, said. "To this end, the VAT rate is being raised by 2 percentage points to 23 per cent, which will generate €0.67 billion."

In a separate document, the EU-IMF troika of lenders said that while Ireland continues to perform well under its programme, risks remain for market sentiment, economic growth and potential higher-than-anticipated bank losses.

Any thoughts/opinions on this ? I am inclined to disagree with the govt response on this one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

I for one welcome our new German overlords.................

Maybe they can help us improve our finances and more importantly maybe they can help us improve and populate our gene pool with nice wimmenz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I don't. Kunts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

i think they need to look into public transport system to :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Of course they do. They are running us now to a certain extent sadly.
    Can't wait to see what they do with our roads. I hear they are good at sorting out roads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

Typical liary politican response

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Anyone else growing a strong dislike for central Europe as of late... France,Germany ect...

What I will say though is if they raise VAT by 2% they will do nothing only stop people from spending money on non essential items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

SeaFields wrote: »
    I don't. Kunts.

They heard you, now it's 24% vat.

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Biggins wrote: »
    Of course they do. They are running us now to a certain extent sadly.
    Can't wait to see what they do with our roads. I hear they are good at sorting out roads!

that they are but lets not forget public transport..

and dealing with scum should be on the list i hears a lot of gas chambers over there not being used :eek:

(just syain):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Prepare for the wurst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Anyone else growing a strong dislike for central Europe as of late... France,Germany ect....

I'd rather we were part of Britain than a German province to be honest.

• Advertisement

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Prepare for the wurst.

Frak wurst!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

and dealing with scum should be on the list i hears a lot of gas chambers over there not being used :eek:

(just syain):D

too soon!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

23% vat!

Ebay, the Queen, Newry, Enniskillen and Lisburn likes this.
    Sainsburys better start building bigger carparks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

This is all just a scam to get us all to shop in lidl and aldi.

Someone is going to get a rap on the knuckles for this leaking out.
    NOT for the German parliament to know our budget - just for letting the Irish people know that they knew before we even do!

Coming soon to a media outlet neat you : "Patsy Scapegoat Get's Named"

What else does other countries know that we don't - that our state is telling them but not us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

germany is slowly achieving what they set out in 39 to do.... this time however there is no russia to layeth a smack down on them.

They have turned "democracy" if there ever was such a thing into a complete farce.

Someone is going to get a rap on the knuckles for this leaking out.
    NOT for the German parliament to know our budget - just for letting the Irish people know that they knew before we even do!

Coming soon to a media outlet neat you : "Patsy Scapegoat Get Named"

What else does other countries know that we don't - that our state is telling them but not us!

Maybe this is the plan to keep us in check, so Ireland is under no illusions who is in charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Noonan is Jabba the Hut in disguise. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Frynge wrote: »
    too soon!!!!

Too late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

You know I wouldnt mind if the Germans were in charge if they were implementing responsible economic policy for the good of the country.. But our current masters seem to be more interested in giving priority to their own political survival rather than Ireland's survival..

• Advertisement

parrai wrote: »
    Maybe this is the plan to keep us in check, so Ireland is under no illusions who is in charge

Irish banks borrowed their money from germany/ france banks etc... who were all too happy to give it to us, with the interest they were earning. Every man and his dog knew it was going to end badly but they continued to shovel money at us.

So now they give us more money, which we are paying back and they make a tidy profit on.

We owe them nothing extra, so long as we pay back their money they can take a running leap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Right lets invade germany, whos with me?:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Fianna Fail sell us out, Fianna Gael continue with Fianna Fails 4 point plan and continue to sell us out and then Fianna Fail complain that Fianna Gael are doing exactly what they would have done had they remained in power.

Bunch of useless bastards the lot of them and they can shove any VAT rate up their arse, making the country more expensive to live in is not going to get us out of this hole, they'll lose more VAT by people shopping online from the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

OP is this supposed to be a surprise? Wasn't Enda just over visiting the Führer? She obviously handed him the budget to bring back to Michael the puppet.

So this is what they meant by economic integration.
    Whoever has the hand on the moolah has the hand on the power.

If this is true then why do we need a government at all.

Councillor: What's that Mrs O'Sullivan? You think the pavement in Togher needs fixing? Let me just get Helmut on the phone and see what can be done.

twinytwo wrote: »
    Irish banks borrowed their money from germany/ france banks etc... who were all too happy to give it to us, with the interest they were earning. Every man and his dog knew it was going to end badly but they continued to shovel money at us.

So now they give us more money, which we are paying back and they make a tidy profit on.

We owe them nothing extra, so long as we pay back their money they can take a running leap

I agree but under the current system we will always owe them money, the debt will never be paid in full as we will be in deficit continously to some extent. The budgets can only 'squeeze' so much from people... It will end badly and that is a fact.

Noonan is Jabba the Hut in disguise. :pac:

Well at least he will be company for President Yoda! :D

TheZohan wrote: »
    Fianna Fail sell us out, Fianna Gael continue with Fianna Fails 4 point plan and continue to sell us out and then Fianna Fail complain that Fianna Gael are doing exactly what they would have done had they remained in power.

Bunch of useless bastards the lot of them and they can shove any VAT rate up their arse, making the country more expensive to live in is not going to get us out of this hole, they'll lose more VAT by people shopping online from the UK.

Collins must be laughing at us now... tar and feather the whole lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Only a fool would continue to spend here after this increase is applied. The only things I pay VAT on here these days are my bills, essentially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dunphy3

phasers wrote: »
    This is all just a scam to get us all to shop in lidl and aldi.
    hay i and hunderds,[thousands] others cant afford to shop anywhere else.

Collins must be laughing at us now... tar and feather the whole lot of them.

He hasn't got time to laugh - he's too busy rolling in his grave! :(

parrai wrote: »
    I agree but under the current system we will always owe them money, the debt will never be paid in full as we will be in deficit continously to some extent. The budgets can only 'squeeze' so much from people... It will end badly and that is a fact.

Oh very true, i think the eu is dying a very slow death. Every country is run by a brain dead bafoon, with corruption in every government.

For the EU to function we would need honest men, unfortuantly they died out a long time ago.

The eu will contiue to push until we get a revolt here similar to what is going on in the middle east. It will take longer here because have had it too good for too long, but it will happen at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Anyone else growing a strong dislike for central Europe as of late... France,Germany ect...

What I will say though is if they raise VAT by 2% they will do nothing only stop people from spending money on non essential items.

And start people running across the border for cheaper alcohol when the flat rate alcohol levy comes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Well retail outlets are going to take done hit. They either absorb the 2% by lowering their profit margin or raise their shelf price. Either way is going to hurt them.

UK online sellers will be laughing in the short term though once they hit 35k euro a year sales from ireland they need to start paying Irish vat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Oh very true, i think the eu is dying a very slow death.

Possibly, unless we all submit to more centralisation and greater German control of our affairs. They might yet have their 4th Reich and without a shot being fired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

SeaFields wrote: »
    I don't. Kunts.

would you rather have the Brits controlling you? the Irish Government can't look after themselves or their people, might as well be another country

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

Germany are paying to keep the lights on they're very entitled to see our budget. Don't forget it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Germany are paying to keep the lights on they're very entitled to see our budget. Don't forget it.

I'd rather live in the dark than under their guiding light.

id like also to thank all those who voted yes to lisbon, after all those of us who voted no were morons?? right??.

We handed away what little power we had on the back of promises from those in governemt... oh the irony.

Our own government would sell us up the river if it suited them, not a sack between the lot of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Only fair that I should know where my tax money is going :pac:

no we are paying them to pay for the lights, so as usual it is the middle class thats forks up for everything.

Honestly, all giving out aside. All I can do right now is shake my head in despair and wonder what the hell is next in the pipeline for the Irish people!

This is just more craziness heaped upon prior madness and stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I don't know about you but I said NO to Lisbon twice, I also said 'the bubble would burst'. Each time all the boards.ie experts lined up around the block to pronounce the ridiculousness of those views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

TheZohan wrote: »

All we do at election time is flip a coin, different promises but same policies & same bull****. The depressing thing is all those that though we'd be getting something different, something better by putting FG into power.

The German masterplan is upon us, persistent kunts they are

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭whatislife

Fine Gael, Fianna Faile and the rest of them are all of the same but with different cultural/historical backgrounds.

They are all run by self serving, greedy people who put themselves above and before the nation that they are supposed to support.

But its ok because we won't protest. After all protesting is for crusties and doesn't achieve anything...

id like also to thank all those who voted yes to lisbon, after all those of us who voted no were morons?? right??.

We handed away what little power we had on the back of promises from those in governemt... oh the irony.

Our own government would sell us up the river if it suited them, not a sack between the lot of them.

Sarkozy: What ees dis? You voted non to the Lisbon? Monsieur Cowen, pleez run eet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

A bit short sighted!

Raising the vat does not mean the current level of spending will remain static but rather less will be spent on non essentials resulting in a larger deficit than if they had not touched it!

Genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Forgot too add.

Working in Tesco, retailers and the people who supply them. Love when the government raise vat or tax, it gives then a chance to up there own prices, fooling customers into thinking the price change from 1.00 to 1.20 is the governments doing. When in fact a 2% change on 1 Euro would be about 2c, then it's up by 18c by the retailer, not sure about the maths there but you get my point.

Price a pint I say will rocket too over the 5er mark.

Complete farce of a government, doing nothing they were voted in for. In fact they have actually gone against everything they said they would and then say FF signed away the country. Bunch of crocks. FG - 1 Letter = FF , same clowns.

Morlar wrote: »
    I don't know about you but I said NO to Lisbon twice, I also said 'the bubble would burst'. Each time all the boards.ie experts lined up around the block to pronounce the ridiculousness of those views.

I remember it well!
    Where are they now!

• Advertisement
Advertisement