Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working a ''real job'' on a WHV

Options
  • 17-11-2011 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I had a bit of a trawl through the threads and couldnt find an answer so apologies in advance for the repeat question.

I have an MSc in Enviro science, moving to Melbourne in Jan, would love to get a job in the Green/enviro sector, Im curious as to whether or not employers would consider hiring me as I only have applied for a WHV?? Would love to get a ''real job'' but if not I have experience in other fields that are more seasonal in work.

Im sure another visa classification would be the answer to this question but I only want to stay in Oz for a year as I have another job that I want to begin next year.

Nice one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Kmc123

Oggie87 wrote: »
    I had a bit of a trawl through the threads and couldnt find an answer so apologies in advance for the repeat question.

I have an MSc in Enviro science, moving to Melbourne in Jan, would love to get a job in the Green/enviro sector, Im curious as to whether or not employers would consider hiring me as I only have applied for a WHV?? Would love to get a ''real job'' but if not I have experience in other fields that are more seasonal in work.

Im sure another visa classification would be the answer to this question but I only want to stay in Oz for a year as I have another job that I want to begin next year.

Nice one
    It's a hard one I'd say as on a WHV your only eligable to work with the one employer for a 6 month period!! I'm in the same boat and am moving in 2 weeks to find a "real job", we can always hope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Honestly most professionals don't mind, 6 months is a great time to access someone, I mean if they are a good worker companies jump at the chance to keep them.

There are a huge number of 457's given out to WHV workers each year.

Some jobs yes it would be a problem, but if you are a good worker then shouldn't be too difficult.

We go through a decent number of contractors and if anyone of them are good then it's not a problem to get them sponsored.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

It shouldn't be a problem. If you get a 6 month role and you do well they is a fair chance they'll keep you.

The probably don't know anything about sponsorship so just ask about it 3 or 4 months in.....if/when you get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Shazforgrub

I'm an enviro aswell, came over to a 'real job' on a WHV, it was no problem at all with my employers. My contract states I'm on a 6 month trial as such, but they want to start the process of sponsoring me now anyway after just a month. They didn't know anything about the whole visa process until they hired me anf looked into it for themselves, so I guess a lot of places might not even think about it, if you're qualifications and experience are up to scratch there should be no problems getting hired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

hussey wrote: »
    Honestly most professionals don't mind, 6 months is a great time to access someone, I mean if they are a good worker companies jump at the chance to keep them.

There are a huge number of 457's given out to WHV workers each year.

Some jobs yes it would be a problem, but if you are a good worker then shouldn't be too difficult.

We go through a decent number of contractors and if anyone of them are good then it's not a problem to get them sponsored.

Would it be the same for other areas? I'm a recent graduate of international business and languages. I can't get any experience at home though I understand that would be very helpful for a WHV. It's a catch 22 situation - if I could get experience at home, I wouldn't need to move. I'm particularly interested in business communications, HR, marketing, public admin though I'm quite open to other areas. Anything in an international/global company would the ideal situation. If there were any chance I could get sponsored after a 6 month role, I'd go. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement