Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading question

Options
  • 17-11-2011 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at an upgrade of my system, keeping as many of my existing components as possible as a cost saving exercise, and have a few specific questions.

I'm currently running a dual core E6600 on a LGA 775 motherboard (DDR2) with a mixture of IDE and SATA drives. My graphics card, which was the most recent component upgrade, is the HD5850, which should be okay for what I want - which is effectively something that'll run the current generation of games for the next few years (skyrim, bf3 etc).

In terms of the processor, I'm looking at the i5, which means going with a socket 1155 motherboard (the P67s look good in this respect). I'm also looking to possibly run a crossfire set up if at some point in the future if I get another ATI gfx card.

So, a few questions

- Can I run a crossfire setup on two heterogenous graphics cards that support it, even if they are from the same manufacturer (in this case ATI)? Or do I need to get my hands on another 5850 to go down this road if I decide to upgrade this at some point in the future?

- Most motherboards won't support IDE anymore. I picked up a 2Tb SATA HDD before the floods so I can just move the IDE HDD data across and retire them if necessary. However are there any P67 motherboards that can still handle IDE? Or should I just let go?

- I would rather hang on to my PSU if I can. Its a 450W Corsair PSU (120mm Vifte, 6xSATA, ATX/EPS, 1xPCI-E, 20/24pin). However I don't know if the newer socket motherboards have different voltage inputs to my one (I can't recall the socket I got offhand). However it only has one PCI-E connector so perhaps I should get another one for this reason alone. If I do, is there a recommended one? I know that smooth output matters more than the raw wattage but I'd also like to reign in costs as well.

- Can I overclock the i5 on its stock cooler? More to the point, should I?

Feedback and suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You'd have to use a 5850 (or 5870, irrc) for crossfire.

You could get adapters for your old drives if you want to keep them.

Your PSU is probably ok if you don't want to spend more although if you are thinking of crossfire, you'd need more. Stock/brands of good PSUs depends a lot on where you buy.

You could overclock the i5-2500K on the stock cooler, since these processors don't run very hot. It doesn't mean it's a good cooler though. It's still noisy and not as effective as others.

Advertisement