Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you take for granted that others find weird

• 17-11-2011 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

I was at a wedding and got talking to one of my cousins (standard bogger) and he started talking about when the groom (other cousin) had long hair in a 'that was so silly of him' tone.
    I remember him having hair down to his earlobes, and I said that it wasn't that long, I have friends with hair grown down to below their nipples (which suits some lads, Jesus included). He was shocked by the idea of boys having long hair.

It's the same story with some people that find my indifference to pop music (in the least hipster way) weird.

So basically, have you ever met someone that was completely amazed at what you find normal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I had long hjair for about 5 years. I was on holidays when I was 16 in The Algrave, the last family holiday I would ever participate in, and some scrote from Dublin asked me "If at your rocker raves everyone has long hair, how do you know who's a boy and a girl." I told him it's a conversation he should really have with his parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I have an ability to do simple tasks without getting distracted 15 times. Recently I've learned what a rare gift that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

NothingMan wrote: »
    I had long hjair for about 5 years. I was on holidays when I was 16 in The Algrave, the last family holiday I would ever participate in, and some scrote from Dublin asked me "If at your rocker raves everyone has long hair, how do you know who's a boy and a girl." I told him it's a conversation he should really have with his parents.

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Autoerotique asphyxiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    I was at a wedding and got talking to one of my cousins (standard bogger) and he started talking about when the groom (other cousin) had long hair in a 'that was so silly of him' tone.
    I remember him having hair down to his earlobes, and I said that it wasn't that long, I have friends with hair grown down to below their nipples (which suits some lads, Jesus included). He was shocked by the idea of boys having long hair.

It's the same story with some people that find my indifference to pop music (in the least hipster way) weird.

So basically, have you ever met someone that was completely amazed at what you find normal?

Nice anti bogger beginning. I met this lad (standard dubliner) who thought because i read joyce and hemingway, i was a fan of penis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I knew a guy that would just write people off with the single phrase 'standard bogger'.

I found that pretty odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Birneybau wrote: »
    Rocker Raves?

My thoughts exactly, but when there's so much wrong with what someone is spewing out there face arse, you let some things slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Birneybau wrote: »
    Rocker Raves?

Only the best, and everyone's fair game with their long hair, :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I knew a guy that would just write people off with the single phrase 'standard bogger'.

I found that pretty odd.

I'm a culchie myself, but he fits the stereotype (massive GAA fan, wants to be a Garda when he grows up, lives in the middle of nowhere).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭blackalicious

me and most of my social circle would find recrrational drug use normal.. a lot of people don't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Reading books, specifically fiction, and liking The Beatles.

As two of my threads will bear testament to, I take these things so much for granted that I still find it difficult to comprehend the surprising numbers of people who don't do either, even though I've been given fairly reasonable explanations for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

FinnLizzy wrote: »

any radio show on the topic finds the concept that grown men and women can play videogames without ruining their lives unbelievable. Ditto with many people I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭binxeo

Nobody gets me when I tell them I have a motorbike or I am involved in biking, nobody understands the way bikers work. Things I would take for granted and see as normal, many people have looked curiously at me and thought I was odd!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Reading books, specifically fiction

That's not very specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

That's not very specific.

fiction/non-fiction (including newspapers, websites, backs of cereal boxes and all genres of non-fiction books, among others)

Specific enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Having a bit of basic courtesy, particularly in retail/service situations. There's a gigantic thread in Ranting & Raving about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

That football actually exists outside the English premier league

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

I said the word superfluous in a niteclub before and everybody looked at me like I'd eaten their last Rolo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

3 to 4 plump logs a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭IdidIt

I'm a one pump wonder... chicks seem to find it weird :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I have an electricity box in my hall, as do my neighbours. It was only recently that I discovered that not everyone calls it the "White yoke"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

My crumpetometer goes doo-lally at the sight of the exposed ankle of a lady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I like to put the fajhita spices on tomatoes, the drink of choice is a whole orange, a whole lemon squashed in a pint glass, topped up with gin, orange cordial and water. 2500 songs on my ipod, vocals on none of them. I have no computer at home. Not averse to wearing 4 pairs of pants during the cold season. (at home)

Advertisement