Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows

• 17-11-2011 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

I have two oldish (approx 15 yrs) double glazed windows. They are the metal type coated white.

They get fogged up really easily and the drain holes at the bottom are tiny and slow to get rid of excess condensation.

Q: Would it be ok to drill a few more small holes . ? Would that help to keep the windows clear as well as drain away water.

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭makita

are they fogging up inside the dg unit or on the glass in the room

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭cosmowillie53

Just on the glass in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭makita

tbh i don't think drilling more holes will solve the problem because it will still condensate from the heat in the room. it sounds like the your dg unit is broken down meaning the gas is gone from the inside of the unit thus loosing your insulator

The windows when clear are crystal clear ...note these windows are in the kitchen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Condensation on the inside of the glass is due (mainly) to insufficient ventilation of the room.

The glass unit has NOT broken down if there is no condensation on the inside of the unit. This is screaming ventilation at me.... The drain holes are doing their job - i wouldnt go near the frame at all.

Is there a vent in the affected room? Is it blocked?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

alproctor wrote: »
    Condensation on the inside of the glass is due (mainly) to insufficient ventilation of the room.

The glass unit has NOT broken down if there is no condensation on the inside of the unit. This is screaming ventilation at me.... The drain holes are doing their job - i wouldnt go near the frame at all.

Is there a vent in the affected room? Is it blocked?
    while I agree that there is probably insufficient ventilation, these window are probably not thermally broken, or installed thermal bridge free and do not have an internal surface temperature that avoids moisture condensing on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

BryanF wrote: »
    while I agree that there is probably insufficient ventilation, these window are probably not thermally broken, or installed thermal bridge free and do not have an internal surface temperature that avoids moisture condensing on them.

I Agree with this.... :)

Thanks for replys.

Re ventilation:

The room (kitchen) is approx 20'x10' and about 2' wider at one end to accommodate a bay window.
    There is ONE vent in the wall which is connected to cooker extractor fan.

I noticed some spot staining of the paintwork near the ceiling in one of the corners (nearest the cooker end of room) .

I would have the windows open in this room a lot of the time.

Any ideas on how to proceed from here to correct the problem.

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Thanks for replys.

Re ventilation:

The room (kitchen) is approx 20'x10' and about 2' wider at one end to accommodate a bay window.
    There is ONE vent in the wall which is connected to cooker extractor fan.

I noticed some spot staining of the paintwork near the ceiling in one of the corners (nearest the cooker end of room) .

I would have the windows open in this room a lot of the time.

Any ideas on how to proceed from here to correct the problem.

Thanks
    there's probably not one solution, but a culmination of several issues that need to assessed and solved
    • too much moisture, drying clothes, cooking
    • with the fan not adequate or working properly
    • lack of insulation on walls/roof
    • old windows badly installed with cold bridging

Thanks for replys.

Re:
    No clothes drying but there is cooking.
    The fan is a few years old and seems to pull away the steam but could be better. ( I can replace ....any ideas on make not costing a bomb)
    Walls are two 4" block with insulation in the middle.
    Roof ( over ceiling ) insulated.
    I dont know about how the windows were installed.

Would it be an idea to cut out another vent hole facing a different direction to the one already there which is facing north.

Again thanks for any info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement