Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will an unlocked smartphone work in the U.S.?

Options
  • 17-11-2011 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭

I'm moving to Boston for 12 months and was considering buying an unlocked phone (looking at a samsung s1 or s2) here and going on a month-by-month plan instead of a contract.

I tried searching but couldn't find it covered before and I just want to make sure that if I buy an unlocked smartphone here that it will work over there?

Also if I have to do a factory restore and the phone itself is not factory unlocked will there be any difficulties?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you buy an unlocked phone here you'll pay full retail price, including 21.5% VAT. Any equivalent phone will be cheaper in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

They use different frequencies in america, don't expect a euro phone to "just work". With T-mobile USA you might be able to use a euro phone, but limited to 2g. Best to buy american phone tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Well I was looking at used phones on adverts instead of a brand new phone bought here and S2's go for around 350-400 (~500 dollars)

Also what sites would you recommend to buy phones in the U.S.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

coylemj wrote: »
    If you buy an unlocked phone here you'll pay full retail price, including 21.5% VAT. Any equivalent phone will be cheaper in the US.

I wouldnt be so sure, most phones in america are VERY expensive.

OP what phone are you going to be using? Most phones would be quad band nowadays and would facilitate america. The only exception really would be trying to use a gsm phone on a cdma network. For example no Irish phone would work on verizon.

Limericks wrote: »
    I wouldnt be so sure, most phones in america are VERY expensive.

OP what phone are you going to be using? Most phones would be quad band nowadays and would facilitate america. The only exception really would be trying to use a gsm phone on a cdma network. For example no Irish phone would work on verizon.

I was looking at either a samsung s1/s2 or even an iphone 4 at the right price.

Would those 3 models be quad band?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Caliden wrote: »
    I was looking at either a samsung s1/s2 or even an iphone 4 at the right price.

Would those 3 models be quad band?

Yes I believe they are.

Also in america pre pay is pretty much non used. It is very expensive compared to using bill there. So that is something to think about before heading over. Check out a few of the carriers websites for more info.

Also if you want to buy from america you have to remember that all prices are ex vat. That s2 might cost 500 dollars in america but after you add tax your looking at a hundred or more extra.

Well I was looking at MetroCPS who over a monthly plan with no contract as it has free international calls (used by alot of irish over there) and has a data package included for 4g phones.

Advertisement