Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mick Wallace wants Dáil summer break moved - Guess why?

• 17-11-2011 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

To be filed under 'can't make this up'

:rolleyes:

The Pink Shirted Fella

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

He just wanted to move it, whats wrong with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Well considering they take the same amount of time regardless I don't see what difference it would make if they took it during the soccer

Mick might be looking to make the squad with hair like that too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I think it was a good proposal tbh. There's few enough of them in there on a normal day, god knows what it will be like during the Euros.

Worth noting too that Wallace is probably the best-attending TD in the Dail, he's always there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

OPPOSITION TD MICK Wallace has asked the government to move the Dáil summer break next year so that TDs can fully enjoy the European Championships.
    The Wexford TD raised the issue in the Dáil this morning but was shot down by Tánaiste Eamon Gilmore.
    Wallace suggested that as there will “probably” be a six week break for TDs next summer it could be moved to coincide with the football tournament.
    “It (Euro 2012) will be a great break for the people who are suffering from the austerity measures”, he told the Dáil. “Given that there will probably be a six week recess at some stage next summer, would the Tánaiste consider arranging two weeks of it to coincide with the first two weeks of the soccer?”
    His request was met with bemusement from Gilmore, who told the Dáil: “It shows how much times have changed around here”.
    The Tánaiste noted that it was unusual to have a TD ask to move the summer break:
    “There used to be a time when opposition Deputies were complaining about the length of the summer recess”, he said. ” This is certainly a first in that we have got a request not only to extend it but to have it in June. Unwittingly, Deputy Wallace might have stumbled on an issue which will find considerable support on the Government side.
    “The Government will make a considerable effort to keep its nose to the grindstone and deal with the issues of the people. We will have to watch the games on the television”.
    Wallace emphasised that he was asking for the time off to be “reorganised” rather than extended. He also took to Twitter to explain this:
    Mick-Wallace-tweet1-630x357.jpg
    Ceann Comhairle Sean Barrett ended the discussion, telling the Dáil chamber, “Deputy Wallace had his run,” before moving on to other business.
    Speaking on Liveline on RTE Radio 1 this afternoon, Wallace said that productivity would be down if the Dáil were to sit during the European Championships
    “If you try to tell me that productivity will be as high as normal (in the Dáil) during the football, that will not be the case,” he said. ”People will be very much focused on the football anyway”.
    He proposed that the Dáil instead take a four week break in August and a two week break in June for the football.
    The Dáil broke for recess this year on 21 July and resumed on 14 September. The European Championships will run from 8 June until 1 July 2012.

Wants it moved because of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Teclo wrote: »
    To be filed under 'can't make this up'

:rolleyes:

The Pink Shirted Fella

Why not? Its just moving not extending. We need a good atmosphere next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

What's wrong with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

It (Euro 2012) will be a great break for the people who are suffering from the austerity measures”, he told the Dáil.

So we'll all stop being poor while the football is on?
    Nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Ah our politicians with all their priorities in order.
    Most of the poor c*nts in this country will barely be able to watch this down the pub nevermind go swanning off to Eastern Europe...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Wants it moved because of football.

I think the original post was a rhetorical question. He didn't really need you to read the article and report back with your findings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Christ some people would nitpick at anything. What's the harm? Sure I'll be trying to arrange my holidays around it too.

Wertz wrote: »
    Ah our politicians with all their priorities in order.
    Most of the poor c*nts in this country will barely be able to watch this down the pub nevermind go swanning off to Eastern Europe...

I think it's so that they can watch the games rather than go to them

I honestly think that some people see politicians as sub-human or something

They're entitled to holidays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

I can see where he's coming from but did he honestly expect it not to back fire on him?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Jesus christ, why not move it to october, i hear ireland are playing in the world beach badminton championships right after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Plenty of valid reasons to give out about politicians in this country, this is not one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fishooks12 wrote: »

They get holidays, about 20 weeks a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Why not? Its just moving not extending. We need a good atmosphere next summer.

It is true that they will be as unproductive as they always are, but it suggests that politicians look to the future and think of partying rather than sorting out the country.

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Jesus christ, why not move it to october, i hear ireland are playing in the world beach badminton championships right after

You see the culture of badminton support in Ireland is minuscule compared to the millions who will tune into next years championships

So that's a rather laughable moot point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

So he wants two weeks off to watch the football? Tosser. The rest of us unfortunate plebs have to work why shouldnt he. He claims he will be too preoccupied with football for him and the rest of the deputies to focus on their job.

If I said that to my boss Id most likely get ****ed out of my job.

"Sorry boss but the footy is on and to be honest I wont really be focusing on doing my job at all"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Our politicians aren't sub-human, they're not that highly evolved.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    They get holidays, about 20 weeks a year

You do know that most Td's worth their salt take very little time off. This holiday time is mostly spent in their own constituency's

There's plenty of scope for bashing td's but requesting a different time for holidays is not one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

The way I see it ...

- (1)he is not saying move the summer break so they can watch it down the pub. Sounds like he wants to go over to watch it live.
    - (2) and why should they move the summer break? he has annual leave just like anyone. Why not take it... sounds like he'd rather save those days for something else and move the break to cover.
    - (3) He is a bloody TD. He shouldnt be coming out and saying this sh!t. There is already an anti-government/politician vibe. Last thing you do is give people fire to say "those shower of wan*ers with euro 2012" ... idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

No, it was so he could travel. The government quipped back that he'll have to watch them on TV.

As for policiticians being sub-human, alot of people are angry about the state of the country and the way TDs have acted spending money here, there and everywhere on absolute ****e expenses for the last ten years, so when some gob****e, who never should have been elected and owes 20 million which he says he can't repay to the banks himself, comes out and says he wants to move the Dail holidays, which are already far too long, to go and watch a football tournament, people start to think no wonder we're in the fooking mess we are with arseholes like that who wear bright pink shirts to our national parliament representing the country.

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Eamon Gilmore's response is a lot worse than Wallace's suggestion.

Gilmore is some little *****, I'd like to kick the condescending focker in the teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

When I read the title I assumed it would be so he could work it around the 6 months he'll have to spend out of the country to declare bankruptcy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Also, I dont give a **** about the European Championships or whatever it was we just qualified for and why it should take precedence over anything else, especially running a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

You see the culture of badminton support in Ireland is minuscule compared to the millions who will tune into next years championships

So that's a rather laughable moot point

beach badminton, it was a joke regarding the irrelevance of sport and the ridiculousness of this td.

Ah shur FG/Lab are probably lining up a ****load of legislation to be slipped under the news radar for those few weeks..we'll probably turn around after the championships and social welfare will be done away with, the health service will be downgraded to one hospital in Dublin, and the ESB, bord gais and the department of finance will be sold off..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Riamfada wrote: »
    Also, I dont give a **** about the European Championships or whatever it was we just qualified for and why it should take precedence over anything else, especially running a country.
    Yeah but you don't get into international tournaments that often, so you can respect why he would be looking to watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I dont think it would be fair, after all not every TD will want to watch the games, I would say the vast majority of men would, but not the women.

beach badminton, it was a joke regarding the irrelevance of sport and the ridiculousness of this td.

Sport is far from irrelevant. Ask anyone who remembers Italia 90

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Aren't you great.

I dont think it would be fair, after all not every TD will want to watch the games, I would say the vast majority of men would, but not the women.

sexist comment is sexist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I don't think his suggestion is ridiculous. Most TD's based on previous form would just disappear out of the country for a month and send the subsequent expenses bill back to the tax payer.

I think what you see is what you get with Mick Wallace.

He's obviously a passionate Soccer supporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Sparkyd2002

could be looked at in a positive way i suppose.
    He is pretty sure knowing the shower of wasters around him that if there is a soccer tournament on they wont show up anyway and will ultimately have 2 weeks off unofficially + the 6 weeks official.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

to be honest, reading this, I didn't really have much of a view on it. Wallace is a guy who likes soccer so it looks as if he is wondering if two birds could be killed with one stone.

Then we come to Gilmore saying "how things have changed around here".

What is that Eamonn, changed from the times when lads like you would have just cleared off anyway and probably chalked it down on the expenses. Whatever about Wallace owing million,s Gilmore is the real problem witha response like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

milltown wrote: »
    I think the original post was a rhetorical question. He didn't really need you to read the article and report back with your findings.

As the OP referenced non existent material(On this topic) i quoted the article to let people know what he was talking about.
    I didn't report back with my findings nor did i answer his rhetorical question i merely summarised the arcticle for those with an attension span of a tablespoon.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You do know that most Td's worth their salt take very little time off. This holiday time is mostly spent in their own constituency's

There's plenty of scope for bashing td's but requesting a different time for holidays is not one of them
    The country is going down the toilet. The economy is destroyed. There's a huge amount on the dole and growing. The health system is a shambles. There's budget coming up that everyone's worried about.

And Wallace decides that this is the perfect time to ask if the Dail holidays can be changed so that he can watch some football? I hope it was said as a joke. Otherwise the guy is a muppet of the highest order.

humanji wrote: »
    The country is going down the toilet. The economy is destroyed. There's a huge amount on the dole and growing. The health system is a shambles. There's budget coming up that everyone's worried about.

And Wallace decides that this is the perfect time to ask if the Dail holidays can be changed so that he can watch some football? I hope it was said as a joke. Otherwise the guy is a muppet of the highest order.

Ok so tell me how exactly would taking the holidays 2 months earlier have any effect on the above?

Like posters have mentioned before some of the other corrupt clowns in the dail who never bother going anyway would see this as two extra weeks off

For all Micks faults he rarely misses a day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Because we're a great bunch altogether... look we're f8cked in every other way but here's something we might be able to beat the europeans at... except we'll be coming home early like every other time, but by jaysus we'll show all them other lads how to party and be great supporters... whilst back home the place is falling apart.

Listen I like following the Irish football team as much as anyone...but if I have work on the day a match is on, I'll listen on radio because I'll need the money...priorities.
    ...and I'm not saying that politicos shouldn't have holidays...but they're not short of them nor well paid for them...by us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Probably the sort of populist BS that got him elected. Not a whole lot wrong with the request but not a whole lot right either.

There's lots I dislike about the man but this doesn't fall into that category.

Ok so tell me how exactly would taking the holidays 2 months earlier have any effect on the above?

Like posters have mentioned before some of the other corrupt clowns in the dail who never bother going anyway would see this as two extra weeks off

For all Micks faults he rarely misses a day
    He wants to change this for his own gain. How can that not be a problem? It's not going to end the world, but if we want to stamp out gombeenism, why not stamp it out instead of saying "Ah sure what harm does it do?".

So he wants two weeks off to watch the football? Tosser. The rest of us unfortunate plebs have to work why shouldnt he. He claims he will be too preoccupied with football for him and the rest of the deputies to focus on their job.

If I said that to my boss Id most likely get ****ed out of my job.

"Sorry boss but the footy is on and to be honest I wont really be focusing on doing my job at all"

To be honest while people wont be taking two weeks off, Everyone will be fecking off early to the pub to watch the games and most people will be at best late or not even appear at all the following day because of a feed of drink after the games. So I would say yes most people will be focusing on the footy and not work on the days Ireland play anyway.

I cant wait for it to be honest, I love the way the whole country stands still and hits the pub when we get to a big tournament, the atmosphere will be unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

The guy is NAMA'd up to the eyeballs, was elected by the people of Wexford to represent them (:confused:) and all he gives a shìt about is watching the footie...ffs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

They will all laugh and call Wallace thick for wanting to watch the soccer. Yet when it arrives and certain games pop up you'll see the Dail half empty or half days taken reducing the amount time they lazy shítes spend in the Dail anyway.

At least if they are on holidays when the flippin thing is on they wont have to mitch off running the fcukin country !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sure will he not be off permenantly when he's made bankrupt? :)

Incidentally, has he paid the couple of years CIF pension contributions backlog for his employees yet?

He wants to change this for his own gain. How can that not be a problem? It's not going to end the world, but if we want to stamp out gombeenism, why not stamp it out instead of saying "Ah sure what harm does it do?".

I'll be working my holidays around the Euros

If you think this is gombeenism you obviously haven't met Michael Lowry, Healy Rae or Mattie McGrath

I'll be working my holidays around the Euros

If you think this is gombeenism you obviously haven't met Michael Lowry, Healy Rae or Mattie McGrath
    Is your world really that black and white? You're either totally corrupt or an absolute angel?

Is your world really that black and white? You're either totally corrupt or an absolute angel?

You're calling me black and white after coming to a conclusion about how 'my world is' :rolleyes: but I suppose you have a fairly squinted view from atop your high horse

I just don't a problem in moving the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

People move their holidays all the time. When a TD does it, or if a TD so much as sneezes, the ''weh-weh-weh'' brigade is up in arms. Get over it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement