Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mick Wallace wants Dáil summer break moved - Guess why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Vudgie

There is obviously nothing inherently wrong with Mick Wallace's statement but it was undoubtably incredibly naive at the same time.

I have no time for the guy, and he is entitled to say what he wants, but I would be cringing if I had voted for the guy to be honest given his performances and personal issues to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

TDs (like teachers) have a set working calendar and are componsated more than adequately for it. If it means so much to Mick Wallace I'd be happy to see him take an unpaid leave of absence, which is what I'd imagine many fans travelling over there will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Ireland go into a group of 4.
    Three games of 90 minutes each, spread out over two (ish?) weeks.

He needs full time off to watch these? What a complete tosser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Fr.Harry Bell

In an era where most decent people are struggling, this man has really put his foot in it.

How do our people, struggling to put food on the table, and look after their

children stay sane after listening to this stuff.

Christianity is poorer when this stuff is accepted.

Bad bad mistake Mr wallace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Much ado about nothing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Surprised nobody is mention that a six week break in the summer is ridiculous.

Mick Wallace is a clown, but then again, he is at the circus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

TheZohan wrote: »
    The guy is NAMA'd up to the eyeballs, was elected by the people of Wexford to represent them (:confused:) and all he gives a shìt about is watching the footie...ffs...

Wallace owes it to ACC/Rabobank...he's not big enough to be in NAMA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    You're calling me black and white after coming to a conclusion about how 'my world is' :rolleyes: but I suppose you have a fairly squinted view from atop your high horse

I just don't a problem in moving the holidays.
    Nope, I asked you is that how your world is. Oh, but I must be on a high horse. How else could I expect politicians to be more worried about the country they've been elected to represent? How selfish of me to think that a politician trying to change things to suit himself could ever be a problem. Come back Bertie, all is forgiven!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Bertie will definitely be at the football...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He's fooked financially, the country is fooked financially, we have a tough budget coming up and god knows where we'll be next year and this absolute twat wastes dail time in asking can he have his holidays next year around the european diving and play acting championships.

Wexford, you have a lot to answer for !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

humanji wrote: »
    Nope, I asked you is that how your world is. Oh, but I must be on a high horse. How else could I expect politicians to be more worried about the country they've been elected to represent? How selfish of me to think that a politician trying to change things to suit himself could ever be a problem. Come back Bertie, all is forgiven!

So once you become elected, you can only take holidays whenever the peeple decide?

Do you think the attendance in the Dail is going be up, around the same, down during the Ireland matches? Moving the holidays doesnt hinder the time they work, in fact it might even help to work around the a huge distract like the Euros

You have a deluded sense of how politicians should think and act. Maybe they should pull Ireland's participation in the competition altogether since it will have a negative affect on productivity in this country :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I personally won't care what the politicians are doing from June 8th to July 1st, I will be watching football.

Sometimes you just gotta tune out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Dempsey wrote: »
    So once you become elected, you can only take holidays whenever the peeple decide?

Do you think the attendance in the Dail is going be up, around the same, down during the Ireland matches? Moving the holidays doesnt hinder the time they work, in fact it might even help to work around the a huge distract like the Euros

You have a deluded sense of how politicians should think and act. Maybe they should pull Ireland's participation in the competition altogether since it will have a negative affect on productivity in this country :rolleyes:
    Do you think politicians should change things for personal gain?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Yeah but you don't get into international tournaments that often, so you can respect why he would be looking to watch it.

The northern executive will have no such scheduling difficulties next summer.

1 Italy 10 8 2 0 20 2 18 26
    2 Estonia 10 5 1 4 15 14 1 16
    3 Serbia 10 4 3 3 13 12 1 15
    4 Slovenia 10 4 2 4 11 7 4 14
    5 Northern Ireland 10 2 3 5 9 13 -4 9
    6 Faroe Islands 10 1 1 8 6 26 -20 4

humanji wrote: »
    Do you think politicians should change things for personal gain?

When it comes to their holidays, yes. I think they should have flexibility to move them to suit themselves like everyone else in this country.

What made the current 'status quo' with their holidays something that we should not change?

• Advertisement

They have several months off, they claim they do constituency work then, how much more flexibility do they need ?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    They have several months off, they claim they do constituency work then, how much more flexibility do they need ?

We'll move the Euros then!

Do you think the attendance in the Dail is going be up, around the same, down during the Ireland matches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

J K wrote: »

I'll just support England.. :p

I'd bet if this wasn't Wallaces suggestion you wouldn't be as vociferous in their support, he's probably one of only a small handful that interested in it anyway. How about he just gets real and understand he now works for the people and not himself anymore and do what he's very well paid to do. Although we'd probably be better off without him in there, he's way over his head, as useful as a chocolate fire guard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I'll just support England.. :p

Just remember - our German Overlords are more powerful than your English Overlords.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

If I was managing a private company were all my employees were entitled to a set amount of time off at an arbitrarily chosen time(s) of the year I think I'd want to put some careful thought into when this time off occured.

If an employee then came up to me and pointed out a period of time where productivity can be expected to drop and absenteeism increase (ie during a major soccer tournament) then I would take that information on board and seriously consider re-scheduling the leave to coincide with the period of expected reduced productivity.

I'm not saying that Wallace made his request purely for the sake of efficiency but it is a matter of efficiency. The TD's in the Dail are supposed to be managers, they're supposed to be managing the affairs of the country and the Dail and I think it's ridiculous that they can constructively discuss something like summer leave pragmatically so as to arrange things to suit everyone rather than just assume the status quo is somehow infallible.

Sure, moving the summer holidays to a time that will allow maximum productivity isn't going to fix all our national woes but you can't run a country without paying attention to the small details as well as the major catastrophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Jesus christ, why not move it to october, i hear ireland are playing in the world beach badminton championships right after

Nobody gives a shite about that tho :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

RABBLE AHH RABBLE GRR

who gives a toss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I admire Mick Wallace for spending his free time building the Wexford Youths FC. Taken from the website :

“People who run sports organisations in the country are like social workers. They’re providing a social facility to help young people feel better about themselves. We can improve the fabric of society and the way young people look at things - how they treat their elders, their own parents, how they treat themselves and their peers. Being a mentor of any sort, like a football manager, gives you a chance to improve the communities they live in. That’s the biggest thing of all.” - Mick Wallace.

I was listening to George Hook's stand in on Newstalk. He had an interview with Mick Wallace. He was in no way impartial in his questioning, and badgered Wallace by trying to imply that he was off swanning around the place while the rest of us poor plebs can't even afford food.

Bullsh*t.

It's amazing, depending on the day, how people in general can't afford to buy food, yet on another day can afford to fill Aviva stadium on a Tuesday night for a match we knew we were going to win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Are they meant to be filling this six week gap/pretending to fill it with something or do they acknowledge it as just a good knees up for the lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭mattser

What happened his arm ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

J K wrote: »

Looks like we'll be supporting the Republic, then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

We should also move the leaving cert to late May so that the students can give the Euros their full attention. Feck it, close all the school early and just get them to start back at the beginning of August. Sure it'll be no big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭Deadly Delta

Lads, I rarely post on Boards, but seeing this actually makes my blood boil.

What contribution has this idiot made to political life since he was elected?

As far as I know, all he's done is:

1. Call Mary Mitchell O'Connor Miss Piggy. Link

2. Mistreat His Own Staff, While compliaing about how the Government are affecting low income families with their cuts. Link

3. And Now, he's worrying about his holidays next year. Link

I can't honestly believe some of the comments on here defending him, the man is a greedy developer who owes millions, and is as much a part of our current problems as any previous politician. How in the name of god could the people of Wexford elect someone like this?

I'm living in Australia as I had to move here for work, and I must say I was optimistic after the election that we could elect the right people to make some changes, but now I have no faith at all in the Irish voter. We got what we deserve.

Finally to all those all those who posted saying "what's wrong with this ?"
    The point is he's a f***ing politician, he should be out there doing some work and trying to make a difference, we didn't elect him to go watch football. Get your priorities right for f*** sake!

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I say fair dues to Mick Wallace, it's a brilliant idea.
    Replace the usual 6-week summer recess with a 2-week recess in June.

And refreshed after their early holiday they can just work the other 4 weeks to try and drag the country out of the hole it's in.

Good man, Mick. That is what you meant, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Feeona wrote: »
    I admire Mick Wallace for spending his free time building the Wexford Youths FC. Taken from the website :

“People who run sports organisations in the country are like social workers. They’re providing a social facility to help young people feel better about themselves. We can improve the fabric of society and the way young people look at things - how they treat their elders, their own parents, how they treat themselves and their peers. Being a mentor of any sort, like a football manager, gives you a chance to improve the communities they live in. That’s the biggest thing of all.” - Mick Wallace.

I was listening to George Hook's stand in on Newstalk. He had an interview with Mick Wallace. He was in no way impartial in his questioning, and badgered Wallace by trying to imply that he was off swanning around the place while the rest of us poor plebs can't even afford food.

Bullsh*t.

It's amazing, depending on the day, how people in general can't afford to buy food, yet on another day can afford to fill Aviva stadium on a Tuesday night for a match we knew we were going to win!

And i thought Wallace came off like a complete twat in that segment. He didn't argue his point and eventually hung up. On a live national broadcast. Like a spoilt and petulant child.

"I'm not getting my way so i'm not talking to you" was what he was essentially saying.

He's a fcuking eejit, and the people who elected him may as well have voted for Dustin the Turkey for all the use and good he'll be in there.

All the while pocketing his cash that we supply him with, because one of his get richer quick schemes blew up in his face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

mackg wrote: »
    Plenty of valid reasons to give out about politicians in this country, this is not one of them.

Of course it is. Mick is showing how little he cares about the major issues by bringing up something so trivial and stupid in the Dail.

He cares more about making sure he see the football than running the country properly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He cares more about making sure he see the football than running the country properly...

He's not in government and therefore isn't running the country at all.

In fairness, having watched the actually clip in question rather than just coldly reading the quotes, it's clear his tongue was firmly is his cheek at the time.

Anyway as a great man once said: "Someone said 'football is more important than life and death to you' and I said 'Listen, it's more important than that'."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

he there to be representing the interests of the people of Wexford in power or opposition, not his own desire to watch the footie. I've no doubt that you'll find him in the Dail bar during the matches anyway so what difference does it even make at the end of the day...

In fairness, having watched the actually clip in question rather than just coldly reading the quotes, it's clear his tongue was firmly is his cheek at the time.

Anyway as a great man once said: "Someone said 'football is more important than life and death to you' and I said 'Listen, it's more important than that'."

His tongue may have been in his cheek at the time, and i have no problem with that, every workplace needs a giggle every once in a while. And Gilmore's tongue was in his cheek with the response, also using it to score a little point about making out as if Wallace was trying to get the holidays extended (naive newbie verses seasoned politician) but Wallace's carry on in the aftermath is what's more annoying to me. Especially the bit i mentioned in my previous post where he hung up on a live national broadcast.

I'll bet Gilmore is giggling into his coco pops this morning at how this has all turned out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

gatecrash wrote: »
    His tongue may have been in his cheek at the time, and i have no problem with that, every workplace needs a giggle every once in a while. And Gilmore's tongue was in his cheek with the response, also using it to score a little point about making out as if Wallace was trying to get the holidays extended (naive newbie verses seasoned politician) but Wallace's carry on in the aftermath is what's more annoying to me. Especially the bit i mentioned in my previous post where he hung up on a live national broadcast.

I'll bet Gilmore is giggling into his coco pops this morning at how this has all turned out

I don't get why Gilmore is getting criticised either.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »

Is he?? I haven't seen any news stories that he were having a pop at him about this.

Is he?? I haven't seen any news stories that he were having a pop at him about this.

Nah, just a few posts on here. Suppose it's Wallace sticking one at the "man" or something!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Wertz wrote: »
    Ah our politicians with all their priorities in order.
    Most of the poor c*nts in this country will barely be able to watch this down the pub nevermind go swanning off to Eastern Europe...

Recession has really shown how weak willed some people in this country are. Will barely be able to watch it in a pub? Really, who are these people who apparently make up the majority unable to piece together a few quid to go down to the pub for a special evening? Tired of people making out that this is a 3rd world country just because they can't have their 4 holidays a year anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I think this is a great idea. Given the government's track record of releasing bad news when there is a big media distraction on at the time I'm expecting a deluge of bad statements coming out of Dail Eireann during the euros. If this break happens then they won't have that cover of darkness to hide behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I would say the vast majority of men would, but not the women.

You're forgetting that we've just come out of the Celtic boom, a lot of women would have a higher chance of exposure to sports due to a second tv being put in the kitchen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Of course it is. Mick is showing how little he cares about the major issues by bringing up something so trivial and stupid in the Dail.

To be fair a national event of pure positivity which could lift the national mood is not "trivial" or "stupid". He's already clarified he isn't looking for extra holidays but to change the times. Isn't it nice that some of our politicans would like to spend their holidays supporting our team with the rest of us rather than locking themselves in the back and beyonds of Kerry for a few weeks?

Either way its silly to make a big deal out of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Only thing that video showed me was that these tds will twist anything or just not listen.
    He clearly says arrange the break around the football, then Gilmore gets up and says he wants an extension to the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

Sky King wrote: »
    He just wanted to move it, whats wrong with that?

What's wrong with it? Nothing really, except perhaps for the fact that as a member of a technical group in the Dail with very limited speaking time available to present questions on the floor of the Dail to the leader of our government, was the best available use of his limited minutes of speaking time a week a request to move the hols to accomodate the footie?
    Let him write a letter or fill in a holiday request, but don't waste the peoples time discussing trivia while the country falls apart.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Only thing that video showed me was that these tds will twist anything or just not listen.
    He clearly says arrange the break around the football, then Gilmore gets up and says he wants an extension to the break.

Like i mentioned earlier, it shows the gulf between a seasoned politician and a naive newbie.

The reaction that this nothing issue is getting is laughable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Like i mentioned earlier, it shows the gulf between a seasoned politician and a naive newbie.

The reaction that this nothing issue is getting is laughable

Just shows that some people love having an axe to grind

There's far worse things going on than this, get over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

They will only need the first two/three weeks of the tournament because by that stage Ireland will be on the way home. They have convinced everyone they are a good side after beating estonia 4 nil away.

Up against a good team, no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

K-9 wrote: »

I don't like politicians (or people) who wilfully misconstrue what other people say. It's an arsey thing to do, and that's what he did.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I don't like politicians (or people) who wilfully misconstrue what other people say. It's an arsey thing to do, and that's what he did.

TD's holidays are a big issue as it is. Gilmore didn't take it seriously and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

TheZohan wrote: »
    The guy is NAMA'd up to the eyeballs, was elected by the people of Wexford to represent them (:confused:) and all he gives a shìt about is watching the footie...ffs...

I know, the phrase "only in Ireland" springs to mind. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement