Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Storage Fees

Options
  • 17-11-2011 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

During the floods my car keys fell down a manhole. I had breakdown cover so called my insurance company. (They subcontract the breakdown recovery AFAIK) Got a call a while later saying that they weren't able to make it out for a few hours and that they would pick it up and bring it to my house the next day. I said that I might not be there and to call me before coming out with the car. Got a call saying they were at my house the next day but I wasn't anywhere near it! I said I wasn't able to make it out for a good while. They said they would drop it out later, but I never heard anything back from them. 2 weeks later I get a letter saying that if the car isnt claimed then that it will be disposed of! I called them and they want nearly €1000 to get it back. This is way more money than I can afford and is probably 3 times the value of the car! At no stage did the towing company mention storage fees before this. All my insurance company are saying is that It's between me and the towing company. Is this legal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭whippet

2 weeks later I get a letter saying that if the car isnt claimed then that it will be disposed of!

two weeks? :eek:

I can't believe you didn't contact them for two weeks - really this is your own fault and every towing company will charge storage fees.

your best bet is to make them an offer on the storage charges and in future learn from your mistake and assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Generally you get one nights storage free with towing services, and after that they charge. I learned all this due to a recent breakdown at a weekend.

However, I'm surprised that they didn't inform you of the additional fees for storage - but the question has to be asked - why didn't you do anything for 2 weeks?

The best thing to do is ring the towing service, let them know that you were never informed of the storage charges, and look for a significant reduction in the storage fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Coolbreeze2809

101 different reasons I won't even begin to get into. Basically had loads going on and was able to drive another car so slipped my mind really. I realise i messed up! All theyd say was that we'd make a deal, but even if they cut it by 75% I wouldn't be able to afford it! Do they not have to inform me of storage charges before charging me. As they gave me no notice of the charge and I gave no written or verbal agreement to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Don't they usually charge high amounts for storage when they're dealing with an insurance job, where a wreck is removed from a crash-site and stored on their premises? Perhaps they're treating this case in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

dudara wrote: »
    and look for a significant reduction in the storage fee.

To zero imo. I can't see how they have a leg to stand on if they didn't inform him of the charge, particularly as it seems it was the insurance company who contracted them and not OP.

Is there nowhere around your house they could have left the car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Coolbreeze2809

I said to leave it on the road but they wouldn't leave it without someone signing for it.

Advertisement