Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC broadband available but not phone for me ?

• 17-11-2011 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭

So there is an offer with UPC.

BB and phone for something like 32 euro. So they say I can only get BB but will have to pay more.

They say that the "lines" are not upgraded ?

Is this BS as its VoIP and if I can get 20Mbit BB it should be fine.

I am in Blackrock in Cork city.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

rom wrote: »
    So there is an offer with UPC.

BB and phone for something like 32 euro. So they say I can only get BB but will have to pay more.

They say that the "lines" are not upgraded ?

Is this BS as its VoIP and if I can get 20Mbit BB it should be fine.

I am in Blackrock in Cork city.

Yes UPC use a VOIP system but the calls do not go over the internet it is a closed network.

UPC have to have equipment in your area for the closed VOIP network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'd say you have a pretty good case for them dropping the standalone charge if you want the phoneline but they can't actually give it to you.

I was in the same situation 3 months ago and finally I found Vomino home phone service. It offers VOIP phone service for 39.95 per Year with free local calls, national calls and many international destinations included. They have 30 day money back guarantee policy. Their website is www.vomino.ie
    there's no shortage of voip services available, the point is that they are charging him a standalone charge for not having a service that he does want because they can't give it to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Complain to Comreg. This is blatant misselling by UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭HattieMcDoogal

vibe666 wrote: »
    the point is that they are charging him a standalone charge for not having a service that he does want because they can't give it to him.

I disagree on this. The OP hasn't mentioned anything about having TV. Sounds like they are charging him a standalone charge for the BB because he doesn't have TV. All their BB areas have TV service available also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Complain to Comreg. This is blatant misselling by UPC.
    How so?

Also, it doesn't matter he wants the phone, if he just has the bb, you'll never get rid of the standalone charge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Standalone for not having tv or being charged extra for phone in bundle where phone is not offered?? standalone for not having tv is disclosed.

I disagree on this. The OP hasn't mentioned anything about having TV. Sounds like they are charging him a standalone charge for the BB because he doesn't have TV. All their BB areas have TV service available also.
    he doesn't need TV from them as well, he just needs to have more than one service for the standalone charge to not apply, as is clearly stated on the UPC broadband web page.
    A standalone charge of €7.75 PM applies to all broadband packs not purchased with or added to our TV or Phone service.
    plenty of people (including myself and a lot of other regulars on the broadband forum) have broadband and phone but no TV package and are not paying the standalone charge.
    DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    How so?

Also, it doesn't matter he wants the phone, if he just has the bb, you'll never get rid of the standalone charge.
    right now, they are charging him extra for not having a service that he wants because they are unable to supply it to him. how is that in any way reasonable?

if they WERE able to provide him with a phoneline and he took it up and never even plugged a phone into the line and it was never used, he would be paying less than with the broadband alone. it's a gimmick to get people to get the phone bundled so they are tempted to use it and make more money for UPC, but in this case they can't give it to him.

why can't they just charge him for the bundle and just not connect the phone part?

Probably because they wouldn't be able to load the bundle on his account, as down the line he could turn around and say they were charging him for a service he couldn't even receive, and then look for the whole charge to be credited back etc etc..

Probably because they wouldn't be able to load the bundle on his account, as down the line he could turn around and say they were charging him for a service he couldn't even receive, and then look for the whole charge to be credited back etc etc..
    now you really are being ridiculous. how could he ask for money back from a bundle that is costing him LESS that a standalone product?

• Advertisement

now you really are being ridiculous. how could he ask for money back from a bundle that is costing him LESS that a standalone product?
    Because some people are greedy, and I'm sure it would happen sooner or later you'd get people chancing it.

Because some people are greedy, and I'm sure it would happen sooner or later you'd get people chancing it.
    you really aren't getting this are you?

you can't retroactively claim money back on 2 products that has cost you LESS than one product alone.

aside from anything, this is all academic since it is well within UPC's power to just drop the standalone charge for any customer they want.

you really aren't getting this are you?

you can't retroactively claim money back on 2 products that has cost you LESS than one product alone.

aside from anything, this is all academic since it is well within UPC's power to just drop the standalone charge for any customer they want.
    Of course you can.

If you went to comreg saying you were charges for a service that couldn't even be provided to you, there would be issues there.

i'll make it as simple as i can.
    upc customer: hi, i'd like to complain about by broadband provider because they were charging me less for my broadband than i should have been paying and now i want a refund because i asked them to pretend to give me an extra product that i knew they couldn't supply to get the lower price.

comreg: sorry, but a refund for what exactly?

upc customer: for the extra money i wasn't paying when they undercharged me.

comreg: okay, good luck with that, goodbye.

Something more like the fact they can't legally be charging for a service that they can't provide.

Not that hard to understand tbh.

Something more like the fact they can't legally be charging for a service that they can't provide.

that's what i keep thinking, yet you still aren't getting it.

i've highlighted the important bit for you.

here's the thing. broadband + phone is cheaper than broadband on it's own. ergo, they're NOT charging him for the phoneline, it's free. not only that, but they are giving him his broadband at a discounted rate.

BUT as i've already said, this is totally academic given that it is perfectly within their power and technical ability for them to simply drop the standalone charge for him being as they are unable to provide the phoneline that he wants, end of story.

Something more like the fact they can't legally be [COLOR="Red"]charging[/COLOR] for a service that they can't provide.

that's what i keep thinking, yet you still aren't getting it.

i've highlighted the important bit for you.

here's the thing. broadband + phone is cheaper than broadband on it's own. ergo, they're NOT charging him for the phoneline, it's free. not only that, but they are giving him his broadband at a discounted rate.

BUT as i've already said, this is totally academic given that it is perfectly within their power and technical ability for them to simply drop the standalone charge for him being as they are unable to provide the phoneline that he wants, end of story.
    the broadband costs 35e, the pack costs 40, where is that extra money going if not on the phone, I know where you're coming from, but you are wrong, they cannot charge for a service they can't provide.

the broadband costs 35e, the pack costs 40, where is that extra money going if not on the phone, I know where you're coming from, but you are wrong, they cannot charge for a service they can't provide.
    he's talking about the 20mbps, not the 25mbps, but either way it works out the same.

upc broadband on it's own of any speed is whatever price it is, plus 7.75 for the standalone charge.

whatever speed you get, the broadband + phone minus the standalone charge is always going to be less than the cost of broadband + the standalone charge on its own.

look, lets just leave it there. the OP has probably run a mile by now and nobody else even cares, its just you and me going round in circles.

Advertisement