Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.17 Fireball ???

Options
  • 17-11-2011 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Hi lads and lassies,

I'm looking into a little project ;)... it's foxing gun and I've come across this caliber (.17 fireball)... yes its something different and yes I know i'd have to import the ammo and yes i know it's not a 223 or 204 ... BUT!!!

I wanted something a little different
    a small cal which is explosive on impact
    flat shooting
    wont burn barrels
    and has inherent accuracy.

now if anyone has any experience with this cal or knows some one who stocks the ammo either here, in NI or in the UK.

any info or experience appreciated.

Fish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Would it be suitable for foxes ??

If you were looking for something in a .223 based caliber try the .300 whisper and now is loaded as the .300 AAC :)

If you can get those rounds.... ill go halfs on a bulk buy !

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

what about waiting for 2012 and trying the .17 hornet and let us know how it is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hillbilly jack

i think Fergal white has done some of those, worth giving him a ring . either way he will educate on the calibre

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He has built two of them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Hopefully that'll be three ;)

Dropped into Fergal the other evening at about 9:30 and was shocked when I looked at the watch to see 1:40am!! and still a hour of a drive ahead of me.

• Advertisement

Would it be suitable for foxes ??

If you were looking for something in a .223 based caliber try the .300 whisper and now is loaded as the .300 AAC :)

If you can get those rounds.... ill go halfs on a bulk buy !

GH

Small cal. which is explosive on impact

Don't think those cal's fit my initial criteria ... but I'll go half on a bulk buy on the fireball if either of the other two come forward...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

It's nice to see someone going for a strange calibre. But if you son't mind me asking, why choose the fireball? It seems to have less stoping power than a .17 remington and the ammo will end up more expensive after importing it?

I'm not dissing your choice, just curious why that particular calibre stood out for you?

ammo works out about €27 to 30 per box of 20.
    not as hard on a barrel as the 17 rem but nearly as flat shooting.
    explosive performance... yet powerful enough to be used is states for yotes.
    and its a little different...:cool:
    is an extremely accurately round.

and ... why not... I've had 22/250, 223, 22 hornets, 243, 6.5, 22lr, 22 magnums and have 2x 308... so I just fancied something which gets great reviews and is a bit quirky !
    I know there other options like the .204, 17 hornet soon and the 17 rem but why not??

Also it a good reason to get Figgy to build me a rifle :D

Fish

Advertisement