Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE and Fr Kevin Reynolds

• 07-10-2011 1:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1006/apology.html

Apology - Fr Kevin Reynolds
    Updated: 21:38, Thursday, 6 October 2011

On the evening of the 23rd May 2011, RTÉ broadcast a Prime Time Investigates programme entitled "A Mission to Prey".

Before this broadcast Prime Time conducted an interview with Fr. Kevin Reynolds, the then parish priest at Ahascragh in Galway.
    This interview took place beside the parochial house
    after the annual First Holy Communion Mass.
    During this interview allegations were made against Fr. Reynolds. He immediately protested his innocence and denied all the allegations.
    Between the interview and the broadcast, Fr. Kevin Reynolds, through his Solicitors, repeated his protestations of innocence, asked RTÉ not to broadcast the interview and volunteered to
    undergo a paternity test.
    Prime Time duly broadcast the programme accusing Fr. Reynolds of raping a minor named Veneranda while he was a missionary in Kenya and fathering a child named Sheila as a result of this rape.
    He was also accused of secretly providing funds to Sheila.
    Both Veneranda and Sheila were interviewed in the programme to corroborate the allegations.
    As a result Fr. Kevin Reynolds was obliged to stand down from ministry and was removed as the parish priest of Ahascragh. He had to leave his home and his parish.
    He was compelled by the actions of RTÉ to institute High Court defamation proceedings to vindicate his good name and reputation.
    RTÉ acknowledges that the material in the programme concerning Fr. Reynolds ought never to have been broadcast.
    RTÉ now fully and unreservedly accepts that the allegations made by Prime Time against Fr. Kevin Reynolds are baseless, without any foundation whatever and untrue and that Fr. Reynolds is a priest of the utmost integrity who has had an unblemished 40 year career in the priesthood and who has made a valuable contribution to society in Kenya and Ireland both in education and in ministry.
    RTÉ acknowledges the defamation has had a devastating effect on Fr. Kevin Reynolds, his family, his peers, his parishioners in Ahascragh, those in the diocese of Kakamega in Kenya who were aware of the allegations and all those who know him or of him.
    RTÉ fully and unreservedly apologises to Fr. Kevin Reynolds for this defamation and deeply regrets the serious consequences suffered by him. He was entirely innocent of the allegations broadcast about him.

This is absolutely disgusting, is this what our national broadcaster has resorted to. Heads should roll over that. I would like to see him take the fcukers for everything they had but we would only end up paying for it.

How can anyone be so insensitive as to ruin a mans life, after he had even offered to do a paternity test.

They really should have to have an apology of equal stature to the program aired, not some sneaky article that will disappear in a few hours.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

I've always reckon news reports and papers should have to put their apologies and retractions in exactly the same spot and size as where the accusation was made in the first place.

eg if they spent 30 mins accusing this guy of whatever at 930pm on a Wednesday then rather than issuing a few half-hearted paragraphs into the ether they should instead be forced to play their apology on loop for 30 mins the following Wednesday to make sure as many people who were exposed to the slander are also exposed to the retraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Bride2012

That's hideous, ruining his life and expecting a 'sorry about that' to cover it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Caught the apology earlier on tv. No real compensating for that though

They really blew a wittily defamatory title too, pity it came back n bit them on the ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

He should pull a Cooper Flynn on their asses....only trouble is it comes out of the licence payer's pool, not out of the pockets of individual employees. Hpw the hell do you let something like this air with any sort of the doubt surrounding it....bet you they were wetting themselves in the primetime office when someone stumbled upon this story and couldn't wait to air their exclusive. Makes you wonder what else they go off half-cocked about...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

As already suggested, heads for the block.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

People should be fired over this.
    Starting with the top, the job title is director general

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

It's safe to say, the worst punishment RTE will receive is a few complaints on boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

A few harshly put, strongly worded and possibly witty complaints though...that'll learn 'em good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Is it religiously acceptable to claim legal damages if you're a priest?

If so, I personally hope he sues the sh*t out of RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

It's a bit dodgy for me that they repeat all the allegations in the apology. Extremely shoddy treatment of an innocent man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭brightkane

Did he do the paternity test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

He has not been proved guilty in court as there has been no court case yet, but thats not to say that he isn't guilty. I'd much sooner believe the story of the alleged victim in this case, who has nothing to gain from making false alegations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

He has not been proved guilty in court as there has been no court case yet, but thats not to say that he isn't guilty. I'd much sooner believe the story of the alleged victim in this case, who has nothing to gain from making false alegations.
    He took the paternity test and it was proven he was not the father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

I'm talking about the alleged sexual abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

It's a bit dodgy for me that they repeat all the allegations in the apology. Extremely shoddy treatment of an innocent man.

That's reasonable though.
    There's no point apologising if people don't know what they said. The text is 'We said this' followed by 'We were completely wrong to say this'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Snakeblood wrote: »
    That's reasonable though.
    There's no point apologising if people don't know what they said. The text is 'We said this' followed by 'We were completely wrong to say this'.

Fair enough. It's one of the first times I've heard this in an apology though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Fair enough. It's one of the first times I've heard this in an apology though.

Ok, every time I've seen an apology I've seen the allegations that they made and them apologising for them.

I suppose if you think of it like: Let's say someone hears the allegation, doesn't know it came from that program. With this, RTE, and the priest can point to exactly the source, and also, that they apologised for each of the allegations that was made. A blanket 'sorry' with no detail doesn't give clarity later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

An innocent priest? In Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ldoll

Dionysus wrote: »

That's just ignorant. You can't tar them all with the one brush, it's unfair and unreasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

I'd much sooner believe the story of the alleged victim in this case, who has nothing to gain from making false alegations.
    Not much to lose, either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

ldoll wrote: »
    That's just ignorant. You can't tar them all with the one brush, it's unfair and unreasonable.
    RTE obviously do.
    Terrible stuff man’s life is ruined. The RTE DG should resign over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

It's interesting. I heard a small piece on Ian Dempsey's radio show about this 4-5 weeks ago. It wasn't in the news bulletin, just dropped in the show along the lines of - "remember the primetime show that said this about this priest, well he's taken a paternity test and it's proved the rte were wrong". I thought it was interesting (I hadn't seen the primetime show anyway). Turned over to RTE expecting to hear a little bit more - but nothing until this morning (the apology was read on Morning Ireland around 8.40 am).

Maybe Ian Dempsey was really pissed off by it too.

Very sloppy stuff by the film makers and the person who approved it for broadcast. How did the conversation go?

RTE Exec: "So it's his daughter yeah? What does he have to say about it?"
    Reporter: "Uuuummmm....well he says it isn't his child and it's all lies. He says he'll do a paternity test"
    RTE Exec: "Mmmmm....that could take a while....and we've really been desperate to use this show title....run with it....what's the worst that could happen"
    Reporter: "he could sue RTE"
    RTE Exec and Reporter: "Hahahahahahahahahahaha.........how's your pension??"

Yes - it's easy to say "heads should roll" but that's about all one could hope for. Sloppy, sloppy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

That's probably the attitude that the clowns who made the program had.

I saw the apology last night and although it was pretty thorough, it was a bit rushed.

I think they should have dedicated a part at the start of the next Prime Time outlining what was aired in the program and how they are so very wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Primetime is becoming more and more like a tabloid television programme every year. Focusing on peoples doubts and fears, using strong suggestive language and imagery that pulls at the heartstrings while not focusing on the full and credible facts as they do not suit the theme of their programme.

Primetime is becoming more and more like a tabloid television programme every year. Focusing on peoples doubts and fears, using strong suggestive language and imagery that pulls at the heartstrings while not focusing on the full and credible facts as they do not suit the theme of their programme.

I couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

That's exactly the attitude that would have had you called an ira bomber if you visited the uk in the 70s/80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

So he's guilty until proven innocent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Moronic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

In general we are a tabloid nation and love to hear of the latest scandal whether it is about the church, celebreties or politicians. This type of reporting is basically gossip on a national/international scale and until there is very strong evidence that it is true it is not proper investigative journalism.

People are happy to read all about whatever celebrity is having an affair, which priest is fiddling with kids or which politician is taking brown envelopes - they will make up their mind straight away and assume anything reported is true.

Now - when I think of this type of journalism I'm thinking of the obvious daily and Sunday rags - a national broadcaster should not be stooping to this level. I can't imagine the BBC reporting something like this without doing their due diligence - even when alligations are not truethey will follow the accused around for the rest of their life.

I don't pay my license fee to hear gossip - I can buy a tabloid for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Amanda Knox got 3yrs in Jail for slander. Surely there must be some legaL consequence for what RTE did? ( I mean one that won't cost the taxpayers)

RTE should fly Jeremy Kyle in to do a Prime Time special paternity test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Agreed how many innocent folks have had their life ruined by this lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Prime Time are probably desperate to justify their slot after the News and have resorted to airing badly researched and damaging 'reports'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

RTE want our TV license money to waste it on destroying a person's good reputation, the priest involved took two seperate paternity tests and each showed RTE lied to the public.

It sickens me that I have to pay my TV license, it is due for payment, when they waste it on lies, flights to Kenya, accommodation in Kenya, then more money wasted on broadcasting those lies, then more wasted on paying for paternity tests to prove they lied, then more money to pay the high court for the court case whcih showed they lied.
    Then after all that, all they do is say sorry, when they ruined a person's reputation and wasted license fee money, it is not good enough from the national broadcaster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Primetime has always been poorly researched and biased, the director general should sack the primetime team and then resign himself! Liveline isn't far behind them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I'd agreed with the title before even reading the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

ldoll wrote: »

I agree fully. There are outcries when a homosexuality/paedophila are linked (and rightly so - not all homosexuals - or heterosexuals - should be classed as paedos because of the actions of a minority), yet some posters feel perfectly comfortable about questioning all priests. They are no better than RTE IMHO. Hypocrites of the worst kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

I think "usually" primetime is an excellent show, it is the only news outlet in this country that still does effective investigative journalism.

Think of all the benefits it has done for this country with its exposees. Think of all the scandals it has expertly revealed.

But this is a case of very bad journalism and it should be punished. It is what has happened to us. Because the church has being exposed as corrupt and liars, there is an assumption that all members of that church hierarchy and clergy have a measure of guilt, which of course is bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

This is what happens when you create a paranoid and hysterical society. Live with it. How many of you watched the orignal Prime Time show and thought (or would have thought, had you seen about it) somethign along the alives of you evil, filthy ****er. The people of Ahascragh weren't exactly waiting for a fair trial.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    This is what happens when you create a paranoid and hysterical society. Live with it. How many of you watched the orignal Prime Time show and thought (or would have thought, had you seen about it) somethign along the alives of you evil, filthy ****er. The people of Ahascragh weren't exactly waiting for a fair trial.

What do you mean by this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Wonderful outlook.:rolleyes: So you have decided - arbitrarily - to condemn one person on the basis of, essentially, your hunch. I'm glad you're not a member of the judiciary. Read again what you've posted above......'nothing to gain'????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

lastlaugh wrote: »
    What do you mean by this?

Exactly what it says. This is the way society has formed itself and most peeople who live in it seem happy to do so. Why be outraged when society goes against itself?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Are you being sarcastic or do you think that most priests were aware of clerical abuse and therefore passively complicit?

Just wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

The people involved should be named, shamed and sacked. That's if the Croke Park Agreement or some other state/trade union skulduggery doesn't protect them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Fair play to ya! It's always best to wade in with an opinion without bothering with the facts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Amanda Knox got 3yrs in Jail for slander ( I mean one that won't cost the taxpayers)

She was given 25 years for murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

He has not been proved guilty in court as there has been no court case yet, but thats not to say that he isn't guilty. I'd much sooner believe the story of the alleged victim in this case, who has nothing to gain from making false alegations

The above attitude is exactly why RTE would broadcast something like. Attitudes in this country are frightenly bigotted and given to believing the worst in all situations that people will lap this kind of thing up and rejoice in this poor man's situation because of the white collar he wears.

He should take those women and RTE to the cleaners. His life and reputation are ruined.

If this were a lay man we'd be up arms but no he's a priest ergo he's guilty and/or simply deserves it for other reason than being a priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Show Time wrote: »
    Agreed how many innocent folks have had their life ruined by this lot.

So every priest, regardless of guilt or innocence, should have their lives destroyed?

Lovely attitude :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement