Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE and Fr Kevin Reynolds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

So every priest, regardless of guilt or innocence, should have their lives destroyed?

Lovely attitude :rolleyes:

Indeed. Sure why don't we label all parents as child abusers while we're at it....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

Teclo wrote: »
    The people involved should be named, shamed and sacked. That's if the Croke Park Agreement or some other state/trade union skulduggery doesn't protect them.

Would agree fully with your first sentence - disgraceful to ruin a man's life and reputation and then think a simple 'we got it wrong statement' resolves the issue. Hope the individuals that made the decision to air the programme are fired and he sues (and wins) millions from RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Primetime has a long history of making allegations/assumptions which were later proved incorrect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

They are always shouting about accountability and heads not rollling, let's see RTE practice what they preach!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Fair play to ya! It's always best to wade in with an opinion without bothering with the facts!

*off topic*

I love your user name :D

*back on topic*

They've totally ruined this poor mans life. How are they allowed get away with this with just an apology? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Pretty sure Dionysus is being sarcastic lads.

Loads of people condemn the church one and all all especially on this site, there is a fair amount of catholic clergy bashing where no one acknowledges that the sick fooks in the priesthood are an extreme minority and most are good people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

What a horrible thing to do to someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

So every priest, regardless of guilt or innocence, should have their lives destroyed?

As i said how many innocent lives were forever destroyed by this lot.

Anyway as a man of God he should be able to forgive and forget no harm done as that is their stock in trade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Show Time wrote: »

Anyway as a man of God he should be able to forgive and forget no harm done as that is their stock in trade.

every profession has had abusers, I'm sure you're own profession is included. He's been wronged by RTE and his life and career ruined. Don't let your predjuices blind you to reality, it shows a serious lack of intelligence!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Lets leave the self righteousness out of it. Of course innocent lives have been ruined and of course the perpatraitors should be punished.

But this man and others like him should not be made to suffer because of it.

I'll ask again, do people really believe that every priest should suffer for the crimes of a minority of monsters?

Because if that's your attitude I worry about you, I really do.

He probably will. But would you then argue that abusers should also be forgiven..........just saying..............

Bosco boy wrote: »
    every profession has had abusers, I'm sure you're own profession is included. He's been wronged by RTE and his life and career ruined. Don't let your predjuices blind you to reality, it shows a serious lack of intelligence!!
    +1 to that.

Lets leave the self righteousness out of it. Of course innocent lives have been ruined and of course the perpatraitors should be punished.

But this man and others like him should not be made to suffer because of it.

I'll ask again, do people really believe that every priest should suffer for the crimes of a minority of monsters?

Because if that's your attitude I worry about you, I really do.
    All religions are a cult of some sort or other which in trap the weak minded in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

All religions are a cult of some sort or other which in trap the weak minded in society.

Rinse and repeat.

Feel better about self.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Like everything in life the popular versions are........cola.I threw the TV out a long time ago and i wish i'd done it sooner and i threw JC out as well but i kept the older books.I never ever have a tabloid paper in my home..Popularity is the hallmark of *******.I don't know of any exceptions if they exist.

• Advertisement

The arrogance displayed in this post is exactly why RTE stoops to levels it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

The above attitude is exactly why RTE would broadcast something like. Attitudes in this country are frightenly bigotted and given to believing the worst in all situations that people will lap this kind of thing up and rejoice in this poor man's situation because of the white collar he wears.

He should take those women and RTE to the cleaners. His life and reputation are ruined.

If this were a lay man we'd be up arms but no he's a priest ergo he's guilty and/or simply deserves it for other reason than being a priest.

The Catholic church only has itself to blame for attitudes like that. Given the abuse and cover ups I think a lot of people find it hard to look at any priest without suspicion. Harsh maybe but if you're involved with an organisation like that then it comes with the territory.

Bosco boy wrote: »

Every profession has abusers but not on the scale we've seen with the catholic church.

For what it's worth he should receive compensation from RTE and whoever authorised the piece should be given their P45.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

OH FFS. Yes RTE got it wrong this time, that's once out of how many Prime Time investigations?

Would people rather we didn't have the likes of Prime Time?

Yeah lets all slate RTE now, yippee a bandwagon we can all jump on and ride alongside with our high-horses.

Feels good man.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Peep O'Day

TheZohan wrote: »
    OH FFS. Yes RTE got it wrong this time, that's once out of how many Prime Time investigations?

Yeah lets all slate RTE now, yippee a bandwagon we can all jump on and ride alongside with our high-horses.

What the fuck are you on about? How flippant and dismissive can you be over such a horrible act? This man's life is ruined! No one said we shouldn't have the likes of prime time :rolleyes: Is it too much to ask for the national broadcaster to get it's facts right? Facts which don't destroy a person's reputation? And here was me thinking you were one of the more sensible posters on here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

This is the most insensitive comment I've ever had the misfortune to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

Hi Miriam. :D

That poor man's life is now in a shambles because a vicious lie. You could be a little more sympathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

jhegarty wrote: »
    That's exactly the attitude that would have had you called an ira bomber if you visited the uk in the 70s/80s.

Very true - I was on the receiving end of that in London during the late 1980s. I blame the likes of The Sun and The Daily Mail for stirring up anti-Irish hatred.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

What a wanker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

People make mistakes. There were many chances along the way for this mistake to have been prevented, but a number of people must have chosen not to take the sensible precaution of getting the facts right before broadcasting. "Sure it's a gamble, but he's probably guilty isn't he? I mean this woman said he was and he's a priest, so who'd believe him?"

To compound the error, RTE ran trailers for the show that night to make sure we'd stay in and watch it. And we did!

What motivates this behaviour?

Certainly it was not a concern by the programme makers to bring a rapist to justice. If that had been the concern they could have gone to the police with the evidence and let the matter be investigated properly, without the full gaze of the public.

I expect the motivation was mostly money.

TV stations need advertising revenue, and revenue comes from viewing figures. Programmes which command a larger TV audience can bring in higher advertising premiums.

So the truth is unimportant, because programmes which tell lies will bring in high viewing figures if the lies are "shocking" enough - if they feed our desire to hear spectacular gossip. Those viewers translate into money for the TV station.

I'm sure very few people who watched the programme thought "I'll suspend judgement on this guy until I see the results of the paternity test". Very few of us decided not to talk about it the next day at work because the allegations were unproven. Isn't that a very similar mistake to the one the TV executives made?

We buy tabloid foreign newspapers which sell lie after lie, and repeat baseless gossip about celebrities, politicians, businesses and business people.

It's an embarrassing occurrence when our National Broadcaster stoops to this level. We expect better from them, even if we also paradoxically demand tabloid-like exposé news stories.

If we want better from our media, we need to show that on a daily basis and not simply cry "foul" when something like this happens. Stop buying foreign tabloids and let our media know that we want facts rather than small-minded gossip to inform us.

Z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Rawhead wrote: »
    What a wanker.

That's uncalled for. The Zohan has thousands of posts here and as far as I can see they are broadly well-balanced and helpful.

I think the point he was making is that it's too easy to jump on the bandwagon and blame RTE when each of us, in our own way, makes this sort of sensationalist media inevitable, because we spend our money on sensationalist journalism. Truth and good journalism cannot live on admiration alone, so as long as we put the bulk of our media-money in the hands of the tabloid press we will find even the most diligent of journalists behaving tabloid just to earn a good living.

Z

(And no, Zen and Zohan are not related)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

I'd have expected better from RTE.

While I'm not a huge fan of the rc church, or any for that matter, it is sickening to think of an innocent man being treated like this.

No amount of bs from those that think that because the church has caused people to distrust priests makes it ok for the national broadcaster to adopt such low standards.

Furthermore, it's too cheap and convenient in my view to blame the church and then go on to display zero sympathy for an innocent person. Is it the churches fault if we have no personal standards ourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Agreed how many innocent folks have had their life ruined by this lot.

Yes indeed...I hear that the Irish generalise all the time about everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Min wrote: »
    RTE want our TV license money to waste it on destroying a person's good reputation, the priest involved took two seperate paternity tests and each showed RTE lied to the public.

It sickens me that I have to pay my TV license, it is due for payment, when they waste it on lies, flights to Kenya, accommodation in Kenya, then more money wasted on broadcasting those lies, then more wasted on paying for paternity tests to prove they lied, then more money to pay the high court for the court case whcih showed they lied.
    Then after all that, all they do is say sorry, when they ruined a person's reputation and wasted license fee money, it is not good enough from the national broadcaster.

Don't pay it.

Whats the worst they can do?

What would happen if there was several thousand homes who refused to pay the TV licence?

Put them all in jail?

RTE should be put out of existence as soon as possible.

• Advertisement

ColeTrain wrote: »
    The Catholic church only has itself to blame for attitudes like that. Given the abuse and cover ups I think a lot of people find it hard to look at any priest without suspicion. Harsh maybe but if you're involved with an organisation like that then it comes with the territory.

Absolute twaddle. NOTHING excuses what RTE did.

Kinda surprised at that coming from you Z.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Zen65 wrote: »
    That's uncalled for. The Zohan has thousands of posts here and as far as I can see they are broadly well-balanced and helpful.

+1.

Also, might I add that human beings make mistakes and sometimes systems fail.

I get the impression that a lot of the people here are Catholics letting off steam because they've been under seige for so many years.

+1.

I get the impression that a lot of the people here are Catholics letting off steam because they've been under seige for so many years.

Not so. Leaving the man's Christian ethos apart, it is a truly scornful, deceitful, and disgraceful way to treat anyone. And NOBODY pays??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

+1.

My religion never came into it. If they treated a rabbi, binman or banker, well you get my meaning, like that I would be equally upset. They destroyed a man's life and no apology will fix that. The Zohan may well make 1000's of balanced posts but on this occasion he was well out of order. I have never in my life felt aggrieved enough to write a letter of complaint about something I have read or watched until this incident. They way they treated this man is criminal and someone deserves to lose their job at a minimum, I would personally like to see them left in penury after being hauled through the courts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

fat__tony wrote: »
    What would happen if there was several thousand homes who refused to pay the TV licence?

I dunno

What IS happening right now ?

The arrogance displayed in this post is exactly why RTE stoops to levels it does.
    The days of the frock wearing freaks putting the fear of an invisible deity into the hearts of people are well and truly behind us now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

The days of the frock wearing freaks putting the fear of an invisible deity into the hearts of people are well and truly behind us now.

And what has that got to do with the topic :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Agreed how many innocent folks have had their life ruined by this lot.

....? And what has the above post got to do with an INNOCENT priest?

• Advertisement

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Absolute twaddle. NOTHING excuses what RTE did.

Twaddle WTF are you on about. Where did I look to excuse it?

My point was a lot people will always be cynical towards priests and the church after what's happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

ldoll wrote: »
    That's just ignorant. You can't tar them all with the one brush

I can, and I did. Whether I should have is an entirely different matter....

Given that the post was patently a parody of the "I'm so, like, more intelligent than you, like, 'cause I'm, like, an atheist" brigade here, I had expected the sarcasm to be appreciated by Afterhours posters who had more familiarity with my posting history on such issues. Posts like this. Or distinctions such as this between the ordinary decent priests and nuns and the leadership of that church. Alas.

Chuck Stone had his suspicions, but full marks to Wolfe Tone anseo.

lastlaugh wrote: »
    That's probably the attitude that the clowns who made the program had.

It's also the attitude which the most vociferous section of After Hours has. Have you missed the incessant (and obviously irrational) blanket condemnations of all things Catholic here? That's the context within which my comment was made.

jhegarty wrote: »
    That's exactly the attitude that would have had you called an ira bomber if you visited the uk in the 70s/80s.

Ah, parody. It's sinking in...slowly....

alex73 wrote: »
    ....? And what has the above post got to do with an INNOCENT priest?
    At Nuremberg the Nazis in the dock also claimed to be innocent in regards to all the people slaughtered in the concentration camps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 climate123

At Nuremberg the Nazis in the dock also claimed to be innocent in regards to all the people slaughtered in the concentration camps.

What an asinine and irrelevant comment! The whole point about the Nürnberg trials is that the Nazi perpertrators were shown to be guilty. Fr. Reynolds was shown to be innnocent - he didn't just "claim" it.

Just to remind thicks like yourself and others of the way Fr. Reynolds was set up, here is the video of the original program, which has been airbrushed out of the RTÉ website, but is still available here: http://www.mrbrownee70.com/?id=JJ14CGJ1
    Piece on Fr. Reynolds begins at 29:21.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Im just wondering will Joe Duffy cover this story tomorrow? He was all about Martin Mc Guiness lying a few weeks back, lets see if hes moral compass will pick up this story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aileen100

wow the poor man, he has lost everything

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Rte's behaviour was despicable,destroyed an innocent man's reputation.Hope he is awarded appropriate damages.What's with all the church bashing?We are all aware of the sins of the past and present,but this is irrelevant to this innocent priest's case.Word of mention I'm a lapsed/disgruntled Catholic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Prime time Investigates have a strong track record in this kind of "documentary making"....they are spineless bullies and we muppets are expected to hand over our licence fee for this kind of behaviour....they did a documentary on Limerick last december( don't wish to open a discussion on Limerick by the way ) but it was absolutely disgraceful...a complete fantasy of a "documentary" and I predict a number of more hardhitting documentaries in the coming months ( crucial to advertising revenues such is the time of year )

We all owe it to ourselves either not to watch these productions, or any RTE station if it can be avoided....and NOT pay our licence fee!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement