Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE and Fr Kevin Reynolds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Arianna_26

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Twaddle WTF are you on about. Where did I look to excuse it?

My point was a lot people will always be cynical towards priests and the church after what's happened.

There is a difference between being cynical (which is understandable) and tarring all priests with the same brush like RTE did in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Show Time wrote: »
    At Nuremberg the Nazis in the dock also claimed to be innocent in regards to all the people slaughtered in the concentration camps.

The type of comment that typifies the anti-Catholicism of a minority of posters on here. Guilty even if you're innocent. The diet of dictators.

Twaddle WTF are you on about. Where did I look to excuse it?

My point was a lot people people with slanted outlooks will always be cynical towards priests and the church after what's happened.

There.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 harry155

Every profession has abusers but not on the scale we've seen with the catholic church.

Oh yeah and your empirical evidence is?

As for your comment above - it is the mentality that says

all paddies were bombers
    all blacks are muggers
    all Muslims are terrorists
    all Germans were Nazis

such ignorance and bigotry - I pity you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 harry155

Show Time wrote: »
    The days of the frock wearing freaks putting the fear of an invisible deity into the hearts of people are well and truly behind us now.

Another wanker!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

^^^
    Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭passarellaie

Who were the production team on this disgraceful piece of work.If RTE arent going to sack them people at least should know who they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Long grass

As already suggested, heads for the block.
    Some hope! Perhaps the Minister for Justice might call in the gardai to investigate this broadcast. Total silence here too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

Their ability to please their pay masters never ceases to amaze me.

Go Gay Mitchell and what not.

This country is way too small :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 anon123456

Yes, it is a terrible mistake for RTE to make. But Fr. Reynolds must be pretty happy with the money he's gotten out of this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Who were the production team on this disgraceful piece of work.If RTE arent going to sack them people at least should know who they are

The lengthy terms of settlement, which took 20 minutes to read and stretched to 35 paragraphs, was read out in front of the reporter Aoife Kavanagh, the executive producer Brian Páircéir and the Prime Time Investigates editor Ken O’Shea. The producer/director of the programme Mark Lappin has since left RTÉ.

- from the Irish Times

anon123456 wrote: »
    Yes, it is a terrible mistake for RTE to make. But Fr. Reynolds must be pretty happy with the money he's gotten out of this.

Would you be? No money could compensate for this - EVER. Interesting to see the way some posters are making light of this on another thread. If the priest had been guilty the vultures would have been circling as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Case settled today.

So how much did he get? just as a matter of interest he deserves what he got.
    Why is this sum been hidden~? dont we have a right to know as we pay a licence fee,this has been discussed on drivetime tonight and people want to know these things and who initially will pay for it..

Thursday November 17 2011
    THE defamation action - involving a priest accused by RTÉ of having sex with a minor and fathering a child by her - has been settled.

Parish priest Fr Kevin Reynolds, Ahascragh, Co Galway, was “grossly defamed” by RTÉ in the Prime Time Investigates programme broadcast on May 23, according to a settlement read out in the High Court.

The case had been due to go to a four-day trial.

The damages were not disclosed. However, RTÉ has agreed to pay both compensatory and aggravated damages to the priest.

RTÉ has also agreed to broadcast corrections on RTÉ’s Prime Time and Morning Ireland programmes. Corrections will also be published in the Connaught Tribune, The Irish Times, Irish Independent and Irish Examiner.

The lengthy terms of settlement was read out in front of the reporter Aoife Kavanagh, the executive producer Brian Páircéir and the Prime Time Investigates editor Ken O’Shea.

Jack Fitzgerald SC, counsel for Fr Reynolds, said reporter Aoife Kavanagh had confronted the priest after first communion mass and accused him of sexually abusing a teenage girl in Kenya in 1982, fathering a child by the woman and abandoning the child.

Despite the priest’s repeated denials, an email from Fr Reynold’s former bishop Philip Sulumeti in Kenya and his offer to take a paternity test, the programme was broadcast.

Mr Fitzgerald said RTÉ and Aoife Kavanagh had choices prior to the broadcast and the ones they made was “utterly misjudged and wrong”.

Up to 519,000 viewers watched the programme, which was heavily advertised in advance.

The allegation was treated as fact on the following morning’s Morning Ireland radio programme, which had 338,000 listeners.

It was also broadcast worldwide on the web, he said.

- Independent.ie Reporters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Even if he got a cool million, its still less than Pat Kenny would take home in two years (the tit)

Financial damages can hardly repair the life that had inevitably been destroyed by some story hungry 'journalist' at RTE.

Disgraceful all together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

This is the seventeenth thread on this subject today.
    Congratulations, you win a sarcastic round of applauds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

J K wrote: »

After the applauds I'll give you a standing ovarian.

Can you show us the other 16 seen your so on top of the subject.
    god do we have another HBB?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Surely some heads will have to roll on this one....place is full of testeroned fuelled gimps who like to play fast and loose with someone elses money.

The damages in this case must have been very substantial if the level of apology required is anything to go by.

RTE bulletins mentioned no names of the RTE personnel involved ...surprise surprise.

The damage they have done to this innocent mans life is catastrophic.

This cannot be just covered up and swept under the carpet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

I think it's good that he got SOMETHING, so RTE didn't JUST get away with a "We're sorry..".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I agree with the OP...where are all these threads you mention?

If you are going to be sarcastic then at least be able to stand over your facts!!

I agree with Fulton Crown. Heads must roll at RTE over this. I was told that "a seven figure sum" was mentioned on a radio station.

In my mind the reporter in question, the editor / producer of the programme and the director of television should be sacked over this.

Show me the money threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

dixiefly wrote: »
    I agree with Fulton Crown. Heads must roll at RTE over this. I was told that "a seven figure sum" was mentioned on a radio station.

In my mind the reporter in question, the editor / producer of the programme and the director of television should be sacked over this.
    Heads should most definitely roll but a seven figure sum compensation? Its not as if he can claim loss of earnings or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Seventeen \ seventy threads are not enough. Fúck RTE

Some pretty awful shower of bastards made life terrible for the few good priests we had. Let this man have his day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Ghandee wrote: »
    Even if he got a cool million, its still less than Pat Kenny would take home in two years (the tit)

Financial damages can hardly repair the life that had inevitably been destroyed by some story hungry 'journalist' at RTE.

Disgraceful all together.

If I won ten million, it'd still be less that Carlos Tevez makes in 30 weeks.
    A fucking terror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's funny that the settlement amount has not been made public considering it's the public that will be paying it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Why is this sum been hidden

Maybe the priest doesn't want you to know.

It's funny that the settlement amount has not been made public considering it's the public that will be paying it.

Good point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

dixiefly wrote: »

And Miriam O'Callaghan.. just for good measure.

Ghandee wrote: »

Good point

thats my initial question why is this been kept a secret.
    maybe they cant afford it but then again they are already broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

anon123456 wrote: »

I hope you're joking :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    jimmynokia wrote: »
    Why is this sum been hidden

Maybe the priest doesn't want you to know.
    we will take him to confession so
    i dont think thats the case its rte hiding again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Did anybody hear the statement/apology by RTE tonight after the news? It was like speed reading.... if only Eileen Dunne read their (bad) news as fast we'd be laughing !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The read out the correction about half an hour ago just before Prime Time started.

The woman reading it belted through the text so fast, one would be forgiven for thinking that RTE didn't really want to give you a whole lot of time to digest what was actually being said.

Though I'm sure they meant it in a heartfelt way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭baldbear

vicwatson wrote: »
    Did anybody hear the statement/apology by RTE tonight after the news? It was like speed reading.... if only Eileen Dunne read their (bad) news as fast we'd be laughing !

Heard it. Twas fairly speedy alright.

Aoife Kavanagh should be sacked over that allegation. So the money the priest gets its from basically us!! Feck RTE.

No amount of money could ever make up for what Fr. Reynolds has been put through. His reputation is ruined, he was forced to leave his home and could have ended up in prison and on the sex offenders register.

I for one am happy to help pay for his compensation. If all that matters to you about this situation is how much Fr Reynolds is paid then you've either missed/ignored the point or you need to seriously reevaluate your priorities imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

No amount of money could ever make up for what Fr. Reynolds has been put through. His reputation is ruined, he was forced to leave his home and could have ended up in prison and on the sex offenders register.

I for one am happy to help pay for his compensation. If all that matters to you about this situation is how much Fr Reynolds is paid then you've either missed/ignored the point or you need to seriously reevaluate your priorities imo.

It's the child I feel sorry for.

TheZohan wrote: »
    It's the child I feel sorry for.

Which child?

I'm not happy to have to contribute towards his compensation, no more than I was happy about the indemnity deal that the taxpayer ended up paying for after the church were found guilty of committing & covering up sexual crimes.

It seems that if priests either commit sexual crimes or don't commit sexual crimes then the only ones who ever have to pay up are the taxpayers.

I'm not happy to have to contribute towards his compensation, no more than I was happy about the indemnity deal that the taxpayer ended up paying for after the church were found guilty of committing & covering up sexual crimes.

It seems that if priests either commit sexual crimes or don't commit sexual crimes then the only ones who ever have to pay up are the taxpayers.

You sound almost annoyed he's been found innocent tbh

He deserves the compensation.

You sound almost annoyed he's been found innocent tbh

He deserves the compensation.

I'm not annoyed that he is innocent & I agree that he deserves compensation.

However, I am annoyed that it's the state that will foot the bill for this and that those who oversaw the fuck up in the first place will get away scott free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

It's probably just as well that RTE have to give away money, otherwise they might have spent it on a Fair City X-mas special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

The read out the correction about half an hour ago just before Prime Time started.

Oh, they aired the apology again tonight?

(Don't have RTE1 in these parts tonight - fúck you, Truskmore!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some libellous posts removed. We don't want Fr Kevin suing boards ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Don't be silly... it'll be raised from ad revenue :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Has any action been taken against Aoife Kavanagh by RTE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Settlement and legal fees to reach 5 million.
    Well done RTE, more tax payers money wasted.

Unfortunately Hugo Brady Brown was not available for comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I can in no way imagine Fr Kevin will keep the cash,a hefty donation to a local charity would be a PR coup to the church,and go some way to restore his reputation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

When were you ever happy with anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

punchdrunk wrote: »
    I can in no way imagine Fr Kevin will keep the cash,a hefty donation to a local charity would be a PR coup to the church,and go some way to restore his reputation

Maybe it will go towards compensating the real rape victims of the catholic church...oh that's right the State pays for that don't we.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

TheZohan wrote: »
    punchdrunk wrote: »

Maybe it will go towards compensating the real rape victims of the catholic church...oh that's right the State pays for that don't we.

About the most pathetic post I have ever read on boards.ie, what the **** has he got to do with those victims, maybe he has done more for victims in his time than you have had hot dinners! Just cause he has a coller on you can have a cheap shot, why not join primetime!!

Advertisement