Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE and Fr Kevin Reynolds

1235»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

He was *unlucky* to only get 1 million. Thats very low for a defamation payout. He could have had up to 10M: http://www.news.com.au/business/worklife/nude-sleepwalker-awarded-14-million-in-damages/story-e6frfm9r-1225956595894

Oh, a guy who lost both legs due to negligence in the HSE.... he got 400,000 to do him for the rest of his life. Our defamation laws are absolute bollox.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

If it was my decision I'd give Reynolds Eur10 million and it still wouldn't be enough. I'll guarantee you a large share of it would go to deserving causes and would give him the opportunity to get some satisfaction for dealing with some of the issues that are important to him.

I'd fund it directly from the payroll of the RTE fatcats (especially, Kenny, Duffy and Tubridy). I hate the fcukers. Here we go again with Kenny tonight. This crap hanging over the state broadcaster and he dedicates his 'frontwhine' to below cost beer.

Kavanagh should be ex-communicated from the church, although as RTE people in general are atheists it probably won't matter until she wants to go to her childrens communion or her parents funerals.

Bye Bye Director General!!

Bye Bye Aoife Kavanagh. Good riddence.

Bye Bye Primetime Investigates.

It's time to close down RTE for once and for all.

I want my licence fee to go to TV3 and TG4 & not to the shower in Montrose.

Duffy / Kenny / Tubridy / Seioge / Byrne, it's time to go back into your ratholes.

Venom wrote: »
    Kavanagh and those whose job it is to check the facts she claimed to have prior to the tv show even being made should be sacked, none of this resign rubbish.

Leaving out the impact that the lies and pure lack of professionalism has had on Fr Reynolds, any employee that costs the company they work for the amount these clowns have, would be out on their ear asap and be lucky not to have legal action taken against them.

Fine once there is no payout. You do understand that you need a legal basis (i.e. that stands up to court scrutiny)? You can't necessarily 'fire somebody' just because the mistake is expensive, but you can make life so uncomfortable that she decides to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jocmilt

It will be interesting to hear how much RTE paid to the liar in Kenya who said she had a child with Fr Reynolds when she was underage because you know she got a good chunk of licence payers money for that. And 'the child' even appeared. How much did she get paid? It's our money, not yours, we are entitled to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

jocmilt wrote: »
    It will be interesting to hear how much RTE paid to the liar in Kenya who said she had a child with Fr Reynolds when she was underage because you know she got a good chunk of licence payers money for that. And 'the child' even appeared. How much did she get paid? It's our money, not yours, we are entitled to know.

Primetime don't pay for interviews, what planet are you living on :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Bye Bye Director General!!

Bye Bye Aoife Kavanagh. Good riddence.

Bye Bye Primetime Investigates.

It's time to close down RTE for once and for all.

I want my licence fee to go to TV3 and TG4 & not to the shower in Montrose.

Duffy / Kenny / Tubridy / Seioge / Byrne, it's time to go back into your ratholes.

Wouldn't take too long for the freekers in TV 3 to get above themselves if they were in receipt of shedloads of license payers money.

Seems to be very prevalent in this fair country...look at the politicos..clear signs of arrogance creeping in after a very short time in office..our Justice Wallah looking fer the Govt.Jet to ferry him to Poland.....

From the events of today looks like the Govt have driven a good shoe into the collective butt cheeks of RTE and the lads have realised that the jig is up and they will have man up and take their punishment.

Good to see that the "seniors" are included in the shakeup and not being shielded as usually happens.

However ....it will be important that this investigation is fully carried through and that no stones will be left unturned to establish the facts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

[QUOTE=AudreyHepburn;75576870]Um....this was an actual wrongful conviction.

Seriously can you not just accept that Fr. Reynolds is innocent?[/QUOTE]

No it wasnt. He wasnt convicted of anything. He was wrongly accused....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    ARRRGGGGHHHH! I'm tearing my frickin hair out here. Have you even bothered to read any of my posts? If so can you point out where I implied Fr. Reynolds was guilty of ANY crime. From the outset I pointed out his innocence and remarked my problem was with the level of payout. It doesn't make him any more innocent whether he receives €50k rather than €5m.

Also you are incorrect about the wrongful conviction part. A conviction would indicate that he was tried and convicted before a judge in a court of law. RTE have many powers but that ain't one of them. What they did was defamation, a false allegation against Fr. Reynolds

Welcome to Audrey world. It not like the real world.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Welcome to Audrey world. It not like the real world.;)

Do you get a high from being snide and condscending in your posts?

I made a small mistake, get off your pedestal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

ARRRGGGGHHHH! I'm tearing my frickin hair out here. Have you even bothered to read any of my posts? If so can you point out where I implied Fr. Reynolds was guilty of ANY crime. From the outset I pointed out his innocence and remarked my problem was with the level of payout. It doesn't make him any more innocent whether he receives €50k rather than €5m.

Also you are incorrect about the wrongful conviction part. A conviction would indicate that he was tried and convicted before a judge in a court of law. RTE have many powers but that ain't one of them. What they did was defamation, a false allegation against Fr. Reynolds

CALM DOWN!!!

I must have taken you up wrong. I just felt you're use of the words ' actual wrongful conviction' meant you didn't think Fr. Reynolds was actually wrongfully accused.

RELAX!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Just listened to the re-reading of the apology (post Nine O'Clock News) after there were, apparently, numerous complaints about the first reading. The Head of RTE should have been forced to read it out on camera.

Wouldn't take too long for the freekers in TV 3 to get above themselves if they were in receipt of shedloads of license payers money.

Seems to be very prevalent in this fair country...look at the politicos..clear signs of arrogance creeping in after a very short time in office..our Justice Wallah looking fer the Govt.Jet to ferry him to Poland.....

From the events of today looks like the Govt have driven a good shoe into the collective butt cheeks of RTE and the lads have realised that the jig is up and they will have man up and take their punishment.

Good to see that the "seniors" are included in the shakeup and not being shielded as usually happens.

However ....it will be important that this investigation is fully carried through and that no stones will be left unturned to establish the facts.

I don't disagree with the sentiments expressed in your comment at all.

I totally concur re: the investigation, and I'm not sure how you prevent a new RTE being created. But that's probably not a reason not to try anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 catser6767

Red Alert wrote: »
    Has any action been taken against Aoife Kavanagh by RTE?
    I doubt it, RTE= State + Media.
    State + Media = Protect one another.
    Result= Large enquiry into how did it happen, Large amounts of money spent to determine how it happened. Enquiry result will be what the rest of the country knows. RTE , Prime Time and Kavanagh, did a **** job, defamed an innocent man, and will suffer no consequences. Kavanagh will keep her job although it will not be in front of camera for the next couple of years, and our TV licence will go up.

• Advertisement

Actually the amount of compensation is very relevant here. A 5mil payout might just prevent RTE being so negligent again. 50k would just be a slap on the hand for them, and would mean they could broadcast a defammatory programme about anyone without any serious consequences. The extent of the payment means RTE are under the spotlight, questions are being asked, and the next time they might just do the job they are paid for, which is" to broadcast current affair issues which are fair to all interests concerned and that the broadcast matter is presented in an objective and
    impartial manner”, they lay down 4 guiding principles;
    • Fairness and Honesty
    • Impartiality
    • Objectivity and Accuracy
    • Integrity and Independence "
    My only issue with the payment is that some of it does not come from Kavanagh herself and Prime Time editors and staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Aoife Kavanagh should be utterly forced to resign her job. Her actions were just disgusting & I hope her family feel at least 10% of the pain that she inflicted on the Reynolds family.

Are you serious? You want her innocent family to suffer pain because her actions caused someone else pain? That's pretty warped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

catser6767 wrote: »
    Actually the amount of compensation is very relevant here. A 5mil payout might just prevent RTE being so negligent again. 50k would just be a slap on the hand for them, and would mean they could broadcast a defammatory programme about anyone without any serious consequences. The extent of the payment means RTE are under the spotlight, questions are being asked, and the next time they might just do the job they are paid for, which is" to broadcast current affair issues which are fair to all interests concerned and that the broadcast matter is presented in an objective and
    impartial manner”, they lay down 4 guiding principles;
    • Fairness and Honesty
    • Impartiality
    • Objectivity and Accuracy
    • Integrity and Independence "
    My only issue with the payment is that some of it does not come from Kavanagh herself and Prime Time editors and staff
    I think you are confusing compensation for the priest with an appropiate fine for rte. They are two seperate issues.

As for fining Aoife Kavanagh, that's just ridicilous, none of us would dare work for any company other than ourselves if this was the case.

I think you are confusing compensation for the priest with an appropiate fine for rte. They are two seperate issues.

As for fining Aoife Kavanagh, that's just ridicilous, none of us would dare work for any company other than ourselves if this was the case.

Unfortunatly fines imposed by the Press Council to Broadcasters and other media outlets in Ireland are minimal, and therefore do not discourage this type of behaviour. The Mohan Report on defamation demonstrates that other EC Countries have far higher penalties, and imprisonment for terms not exceeding 6 months. Due to this defamation awards are substantially lower.
    Until fines and penalties are increased, defamation awards cannot come down, otherwise there would be absolutely no deterrant for rogue reporters.
    Again in relation to Ms Kavanagh, as with other EC Countries, a fine should be imposed. Journalists have responsibilities, to their readers, and their subjects. She showed negligence in both areas, and should be penalised as a result. As again we are behind Europe in these issues and Ireland is "draconian " in relation to defamation, I can only hope her insurance skyrockets, causing her to become a major liability for RTE.

Einhard wrote: »
    Are you serious? You want her innocent family to suffer pain because her actions caused someone else pain? That's pretty warped.

It might help them to explain to her what the Reynolds family endured because of her actions. She clearly doesn't give a toss about the pain her warped actions inflicted on their innocent family.

I'm not an advocate of an eye for an eye, hence I was only seeking one tenth of an eye! But I really would like to see that lady get her just desserts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

If RTE management cared about standards they would dismiss Aoife Kavanagh as a warning to all other journalists to get their facts correct. They would also dismiss the producer of the programme.

RTE need to start applying the standards that they (rightly) ask of politicians, civil servants and the catholic church to themselves.

Fr Reynolds can never totally clear his good name because of this. €10 million would still be too little for him in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Einhard wrote: »

She should pay. Why should she walk away from this with nought but reputational damage. She tried to ruin the life of an innocent man to further her career/agenda.

By your logic no-one who has committed a crime should be punished, because of potential knockon effects?

If not her it is us that pays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

According to The Journal.ie Mission to Prey reporter Aoife Kavanagh resigns from RTÉ.

http://www.thejournal.ie/mission-to-prey-reporter-aoife-kavanagh-resigns-from-rte-440672-May2012/

Good riddance to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

There are many, many bizarre elements to this story. The one that I find myself thinking about since I heard it today is that Aoife Kavanagh went to Africa on a fact finding mission and came back (according to the BAI report) with NO NOTES.

It's, frankly, unbelievable. I know of no professional who, abroad in a professional capacity and meeting people would not come back with even the most basic notes. That Aoife Kavanagh, a person whose business is information would come back with NO NOTES is unbelievable. And I use that word carefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It is an extraordinary case in how to get something totally wrong.

Aoife Kavanagh had to go as she has no credibility, didn't take notes and in RTE in general involving this case no notes were taken.

It was a program that could have left anyone in this country defamed, given how baseless the program was.

Advertisement