Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Astros to the AL in 2013 & 2 extra wild cards teams

• 17-11-2011 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111117&content_id=25992120&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Astros going to be in the Al from 2013 onwards which means there'll be interleague play every day. The question I have is what's going to happen to the DH? There'd be uproar if for example an AL team is on the road at an NL park in the last series of the season needing wins to make the playoffs and they have to sit their DH in critical games.

I know a game in September has the same value as a game in June when interleague games are on but when a team's season depends on the last few games, I think they take on extra significance. They'll probably have to make both leagues use the DH or get rid of it in the AL. Unfortunately (as I'm a fan of the NL and prefer the strategy involved with when to lift a pitcher) the union won't stand for getting rid of the DH as it will mean less jobs for players so we could be stuck with the DH in the NL.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Not liking the Astro going to the AL, I cant see their fans been happy with that. They should send the Brewers back there, since thats where they came from. They could realingn the divisions from there!

MLB and especially the unions would love the DH to be used in both leagues. The fans me included would love the DH to be done away with. Unfortunately for us Bud Selig usually gets his way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Crucial Youth

The only positive I can see coming of this situation is balancing out the leagues but as mentioned the Brewers would be a more logical choice of moving to the AL.

am I missing something in this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 markmcl152

Does'nt really matter the Astros suck! Jim Crane recently bought it and I dont see him pumping the neccessary funds into the franchise which is badly needed if they were going to make an impact. They have alot more to worry about than wheather the DH can be used!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 gciddy

The only good thing about this is more teams in the playoffs. It will certainly make the last couple of weeks of the regular season more exciting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

gciddy wrote: »
    The only good thing about this is more teams in the playoffs. It will certainly make the last couple of weeks of the regular season more exciting.

Although, remember the drama at the end of last season? If there were the extra wild cards then, we wouldn't have had the all the excitement of the Red Sox and Braves collapses and that great night on the last day of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 gciddy

Although, remember the drama at the end of last season? If there were the extra wild cards then, we wouldn't have had the all the excitement of the Red Sox and Braves collapses and that great night on the last day of the season.
    Good point. I loved seeing the red sox screw it all up. Fried chicken anyone? Yet, that was very unusual. Most years we see teams coast into playoffs trying to get their rotation in order. If we are lucky we get one ore two series happening in which teams are fighting to make it. I hope with the extra spots it means we see more teams competing with eachother!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

gciddy wrote: »

No, the best thing about it is the Mariners and A's will have someone to beat up on in the AL West :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

There have been murmurs of the league possibly being expanded to 32 teams in next few years, which could sort out the imbalanced schedule though not sure where these teams would go to.

I must say I like having the difference between the two leagues of DH/No-DH, gives a differentiation between the two leagues that is interesting.

The Astros are going to be a doormat in the AL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The Astros are going to be a doormat in the AL!

They'll have good competition for that position from the Mets.

Advertisement