Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oil to use

Options
  • 17-11-2011 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Could any mechanic out there tell me what type of engine oil is recommended for toyota corolla 1300 cc petrol.Im using just ordinary oil and its burning it for fun.Granted the engine has 165,000 miles on the clock.Any help would be greatful.Thanks.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

probably the wrong section for this
    you will also need more info like the year hatchback etc

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

10w40 semi synthetic,if its burning oil its now due to using the wrong oil, your piston rings or valve stem oil seals are probably worn not uncommon on toyotas i had a 1.3 corolla too burned more oil than petrol just kept it topped up and it was grand how bad is the comsumption? i could put in 0.5 a liter a week thats about 200-250 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

www.octane.ie is a great place for all things motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bogs

DaveJac wrote: »
    10w40 semi synthetic,if its burning oil its now due to using the wrong oil, your piston rings or valve stem oil seals are probably worn not uncommon on toyotas i had a 1.3 corolla too burned more oil than petrol just kept it topped up and it was grand how bad is the comsumption? i could put in 0.5 a liter a week thats abou t 200-250 miles[/ I would say that every 500 miles its using about 2 liters of oil but what a sweet sounding engine.Its my wifes car and she has left it almost run out of oil so many times its a wonder the engine hasnt seized.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

bogs wrote: »
    DaveJac wrote: »
    10w40 semi synthetic,if its burning oil its now due to using the wrong oil, your piston rings or valve stem oil seals are probably worn not uncommon on toyotas i had a 1.3 corolla too burned more oil than petrol just kept it topped up and it was grand how bad is the comsumption? i could put in 0.5 a liter a week thats abou t 200-250 miles[/ I would say that every 500 miles its using about 2 liters of oil but what a sweet sounding engine.Its my wifes car and she has left it almost run out of oil so many times its a wonder the engine hasnt seized.

try an oil treatment like slick 50 any motorfactors will stock some brand they do work its the cheapest option to start with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Question: Does she use any oil ? Answer: She would if she got it Give a good motor factors a ring, lots of them listed in the Golden Pages.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Halfshaft

Put 15/w40 oil in it and nothing else. 10/w40 is too thin and it will burn a serous amount more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

20/50 if you can get it, its thicker and doesn't burn as fast. Duchams Q is great stuff if you can get it, Deevys in Waterford have it.

Advertisement