Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tool advice - circular saw and router

Options
  • 17-11-2011 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Hi all

As part of my thanks for doing some bits of carpentry around the house I have been tasked with building a bookshelf and a built in wardrobe. I reckon the main powertools I will need are a circular saw and a router. While I have a B&D circular saw it has taken a few knocks, and I don't think it's really good enough for furniture making.

I am looking for some advice on a suitable circular saw and a router. I don't want to pay money for tools that won't last a wet week, but also don't have the funds for the top end stuff. I am hoping to spend about €100 on each give or take, but could stretch that a bit if really necessary. When searching online I have found the likes of hitachi saws ranging from €100 to multiples of that, but I can't see that they are that much better.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, together with any advice on the best places to buy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

If that's your budget, you might be better off going to a hire company and getting decent quality tools rather than buying something second hand and possibly f**ked....

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭makita

as i carpenter myself i have always used hitachi skill saws the one i have currently i have had for the last seven years and is in use daily still goes perfectly after all the abuse it got and would never think of changing to another make

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

exaisle wrote: »
    If that's your budget, you might be better off going to a hire company and getting decent quality tools rather than buying something second hand and possibly f**ked....

+1

I pay close to 100 yoyos for my tct blades and ditto for good router bits

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

makita wrote: »
    as i carpenter myself i have always used hitachi skill saws the one i have currently i have had for the last seven years and is in use daily still goes perfectly after all the abuse it got and would never think of changing to another make
    I agree with you about Hitachi circular saws they are rock solid. I don't think I would buy a Hitachi router again though, but I've heard a good few people praising them, especially the 1/2 inch ones.

Makita likes Hitachi :D

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Hey OP, suggest you start with one bit of kit and get a bit of quality going.
    My experience is that buying cheap tools of any sort is a false economy. Seeing as you have a circular saw, why not spend an bit extra on a good 1/2" router (DeWalt/Hitachi/Bosch or the like) and save for additional kit as time goes on.
    Good gear will stand you in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

earpiece wrote: »
    Hey OP, suggest you start with one bit of kit and get a bit of quality going.
    My experience is that buying cheap tools of any sort is a false economy. Seeing as you have a circular saw, why not spend an bit extra on a good 1/2" router (DeWalt/Hitachi/Bosch or the like) and save for additional kit as time goes on.
    Good gear will stand you in the long run.

DeWalt/Hitachi/Bosch-Blue....not Bosch Green. Bosch Green are the cheaper version aimed at DIYers. Nothing wrong with them, but the blue stuff is more durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dmcgarry

totally agree about the hitachi saws... excellent

as far as a router goes, you can get a Black and Decker KW900 with 6 ok...ish bits and is variable speed for €100... bought this myself and was well suprised with it's power, use it mainly on hardwoods and it hasn't let me down yet... cant say much for the bits cause i haven't used the ones that came with it really...

i know mcquillans do this router but as far as i remember B&Q or atlantic homecare have it aswell.

Advertisement