Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laughing at something you shouldn't really laugh at

• 17-11-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I was on the bus going for a pint last night and as the bus was about 50 yards away from a stop i noticed a very overweight woman running as fast as she could for the bus.

Now it was more of a waddle than a run,very penguin like,but she was beating the bus to the stop as the bus was in the traffic. Then the traffic starting moving again and i knew it was going to be a close run thing.

About 15 yards from the stop the bus passed her and she was trying to flag the bus to stop with her right arm as she tried to hang on to her oversized handbag with her left arm and she nearly fell over.

I was thinking at least she made it and it was worth the effort of nearly having a heart attack. But we got to the bus stop and the bus just kept going and i found myself laughing out loud,even though i tried to stop myself.

As i looked up at the driver he was also laughing. For the rest of the journey i had to try and supress my laughter.
    So when was the last time you laughed when you shouldn't have?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Every time I think of your man who made the rte news last winter by slipping on the ice and cracked his noggin. Cracks me up nearly one year on!!! Classic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

everytime i see a child falling over i laugh. it usually ends up in a filthy look from the parents but i cant help it. it's just too funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Teacher giving out to me for not doing my homework. As she was doing it thought she sounded like terminator and started laughing a bit. Was pulled up on it, denyed it. Also laughed when a teacher told us she crashed her car. Laughed when my gran was lamenting to my dad about her recurring weight problem -i was young. Laughed at a street poet in cork at what was supposed to be a deep poem, laughed at a drawing of two war victims hugging (in sixth class)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Your man from Fair City with the little arms :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Teacher giving out to me for not doing my homework.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Teacher giving out to me for not doing my homework. As she was doing it thought she sounded like terminator and started laughing a bit. Was pulled up on it, denyed it. Also laughed when a teacher told us she crashed her car. Laughed when my gran was lamenting to my dad about her recurring weight problem -i was young.
    Teacher giving out to me for not doing my homework. As she was doing it thought she sounded like terminator and started laughing a bit. Was pulled up on its, denyed it. Also laughed when a teacher told us she crashed her car. Laughed when my gran was lamenting to my dad about her recurring weight problem -i was young.
    Teacher giving out to me for not doing my homework. As she was doing it thought she sounded like terminator and started laughing a bit. Was pulled up on it, denyed it. Also laughed when a teacher told us she crashed her car. Laughed when my gran was lamenting to my dad about her recurring weight problem -i was young. Laughed at a street poet in cork at what was supposed to be a deep poem, laughed at a drawing of two war victims hugging (in sixth class)

I'll be back..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Teacher giving out to me for not doing my homework. As she was doing it thought she sounded like terminator and started laughing a bit. Was pulled up on its, denyed it. Also laughed when a teacher told us she crashed her car. Laughed when my gran was lamenting to my dad about her recurring weight problem -i was young.
    Teacher giving out to me for not doing my homework. As she was doing it thought she sounded like terminator and started laughing a bit. Was pulled up on it, denyed it. Also laughed when a teacher told us she crashed her car. Laughed when my gran was lamenting to my dad about her recurring weight problem -i was young.

good work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

baz2009 wrote: »
    I'll be back..

Took him a while but he finally got there god love him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

Toddy Doody we get the message, youre teachers voice/laugh was funny :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

Usually at funerals.......my dad finds something to get everyone going and enrage the matriarch.

remarked idly at a removal (to the rest of the pew) after waiting for about half an hour for the hearse to arrive that "maybe he got away on them"

queue seat rocking with laughter.

laugh at people who like to transfer their stress on to me rather than deal with it themselves....its a great way to let people get the message you are not going to suffer for them or do their jobs for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

*if only could delete other's superfluous posts*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Got to say its funny but the driver is a knob for doing it and laughing at her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Stephen Hawking

The man may be a brain box, but its taking some convincing to me when I see him, slouched at that angle, in that chair, using a speak and spell.

(in going to hell for this)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I deliberately turn up to funerals of people I've never even heard of to laugh when the priest says things like

He was a devoted family man. *chuckle*

She was always there for her children *tee hee hee*

He was such a dignified man *snicker*.

and that type of thing.

I deliberately turn up to funerals of people I've never even heard of to laugh when the priest says things like

He was a devoted family man. *chuckle*

She was always there for her children *tee hee hee*

He was such a dignified man *snicker*.

and that type of thing.

aaaw no guffaws or derisive snorts?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

people smacking their faces by walking into a glass door by accident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

My grandmother died this year. Night before her burial my brother was telling a story of when my Aunt (uncles wife) brought us to the beach. He started telling us about her drying herself off after a swim and she had a MASSIVE BUSH. Anyway, Aunt gets up on the altar just before the coffins removed and me second row in burst out laughing. I mean, pissed it. Had to cover my face and pretend I was crying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

My grannys brother who lived in England died and was being buried in Ireland. At the funeral there was a man singing and playing guitar at the graveside. He was absolutely murdering Danny Boy. Myself, my dad and half the family at the funeral were trying to suppress our laughter and when everyone realised that we all were trying to hold it in we just left it out. The man's English family kept casting us confused dissappointed glances which made all of us laugh even harder. Our whole family is going to Hell.

i laugh at a lot of mean things really

at my granny's funeral years ago, my little cousin in a thick west cork accent, who had helped shoulder the coffin, sat beside us and said "Jesus, fierce bang off that"

the row erupted, we couldn't stop laughing for love nor money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

I absolutely cracked up laughing on the Cork-Dublin train about a month ago. I was on the way up to Dublin on a Friday, and the train was wedged, people standing at the end of pretty much every carriage. I hadn't a pre-booked seat, and I was sitting on the ground inside the door where there is a space reserved for a wheelchair.

Now this very elderly lady (80 at a conservative guess) and I presume her grandson had taken 2 seats, which had been pre-booked. At the next stop, some women in her early 30's get on, and turfs them off her pre-booked seats. Issue was, the second seat was for a kid not more than 2 or 2 and a half. The elderly lady's grandson found a standing stop, and some other young lad gave up his seat for the old lady.

Now I'm slightly miffed that the woman with the toddler didnt perhaps think to let the old lady stay in her seat, and obviously the toddler could sit on her knee or the edge of her seat. The kid was 3 at most, he hardly needed his own seat. After about 5 mins, the kid got bored with his seat, and proceeded to spend the next 20 mins or so walking up and down the aisle, leaving his seat vacant. Soon, he gets a bit of confidence, and starts running up and down the aisle. Obviously people are getting a bit pissed off at this stage.

So toddler is running along, full speed ahead, train jerks slightly, kid gets caught off guard, trips over himself, and smack, face first into the carpet......I was basically chewing my wrist trying to stop the laughter, and ended up making this gasping heaving noise as I failed to suppress it. Got a filthy glare from the mother, but feck it, she was being a wagon and her kid was annoying everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭aquarian_fire

I used to have this awful habit of laughing in my younger sister's face when she was in a rage for whatever reason, which probably didn't help with her anger. But it was just too funny. She'd get so angry she couldn't talk, she'd be this red-faced, shaking thing that couldn't form two words without swearing. It was hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I remember in transition year we had this guy in teaching us first aid.After he taught us the basics he was going through all the harrowing things he witnessed on his job . As he was detailing this stuff he was standing in front of a big window and just when he had dropped some bombshell about someone dying as he was treating them and the sombre mood in the room a massive crow let out a big CAWWW, faceplanted the window right behind him and dropped off the ledge to the floor. I lolled big-time but I think at the time people thought I was just an insensitive pr\ck.:o

its funny when someone gets caught out with a dose of the trots also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

i was on the luas the other week and this little old lady in a wheelchair and her daughter got on
    so i was just standing there in front of them when the luas took off
    she forgot to put the break on her wheelchair and she went flying!

i tried so hard to suppress my laughter but i had to shuffle away!

im a terrible person for laughing at that but it was so funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Public transport is the country's best form of entertainment

Public transport is the country's best form of entertainment

once you don't have to use it too often

(also..its a shame about the public being on it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Getting a Bus Eireann bus home from Dublin after partaking in a heavy night out the night before. We managed to get seats beside each other and were happy enough that we didn't have to share with any randomers. As is often the case on public transport, there was the token "mad man" sitting two seats in front of us. Talking real loud to anyone unfortunate to make eye contact with him, just being a pain in the ass. Anyway, my hungover friend is not afraid to mince his words and as he was getting increasingly frustrated at the man denying him a much-needed nap, he lets out a roar: "will you ever f*ck up!". The whole bus went silent apart from me trying to hold back the laughter.

Felt sorry for the man, but in fairness my mate had a hangover!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Your man from Fair City with the little arms :D

T-Rex :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Actually have remembered a funnier one than my previous post.....

We were out on a stag last year and one of the lads is quiet when he's sober but a pure maniac when drunk. Gets handsy with girls and the whole shabang. Anyway, he had a few in him and was feeling confident and this fine girl walked by him and he gave her a big slap on the arse. She turns around and warns him that she will hit him if he does that again. The lad kind of justs laughs and shrugs his shoulders, before winding up and slapping her in the arse again. Girl turns around and clocks him one in the jaw. Lad stumbles back a few steps and falls down a small step. Everyone is aghast. Apart from us. We are in stitches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Was in the restaurant in the Wilton shopping centre in Cork with a friend of mine having a bite to eat when a kid and his parents came in and sat down at a table near us. The kids parents were facing away from me and the kid was sitting on the other side of the table so he was facing me.

I just finished my food when the kids food arrived, there was a delay with my friends food so I had to wait for her to finish before we could go. I decided to get an ice cream cone while I waited and went over and got a lovely double scoop of chocolate ice cream from the little cafe place beside the restaurant.

I returned to my friend and proceeded to lick away at my cone. The kid, who was not too impressed with his food, spotted me with my ice cream and began to stare at me jealously. I found this highly entertaining so began to exagerate how much I was enjoying it, rubbing my tummy etc. The kid started wailing at his parents that he wanted an ice cream but they told him to eat his food first. This drove the child mad and he whinged incessantly until they bought him one.

I finished my cone as he started eating his, then he did all the stuff I was doing when I had the cone getting his own back. Then on about the fifth lick he knocked the ice cream off the cone and onto the floor, looked at it all shocked before bursting into tears, I started roaring laughing. I don't know if I have ever laughed as hard as I did at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

remembered another one!

last week i was getting the train home!
    this young wan powered walked down the aisle but the automatic door inbetween the carriages didnt open quick enough!

she smacked her face full force off the door and fell back

i tried so hard not to laugh but as soon as she left the while carriage wet themselves laughing at her!

felt bad though she got an almighty whallop off it! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭The House Of Wolves

Once the teacher threw a rubber on the floor in anger and it bounced back up and hit him in the face. The class was in tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

I always rememeber as a kid the slightest thing at mass could set me off, a funny old woman, literally anything while my mam would be at me to shut the feck up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Working in a butchers when this oul dear came up to the counter around 70 or so. She asked for some steak so i leaned into the counter to get it and asked which one she wanted, as she bent down towards the counter to pick the piece she wanted she clobbered her head off the spotless counter window. I literally broke my bollocks laughing bright red face and struggling for breath and just couldn't keep it in had to get one of the other lads to finish serving her while i fell about the fridge in a fit of laughter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

So Stephens Day 2008, me 8 months pregnant, BF getting ready to go out with the lads for the Annual Stephens Day Píss Up, his mother as eccentric as ever doing random cleaning and making snide comments about everyone.

She has a horrible accident and completely fécks up her arm and cracks her pelvis, not funny by any stretch, even though she was flailing said broken arm around the place only worsening the damage, which was sorta funny! But her daughter decides to driver her to the A&E over 40km away, and the mother has never been in the car with the daughter driving before even though the woman is in her 40's and the mother in her 60's.

So they get into the car, of course the mother nearly drowning the damn thing in Holy Water, and saying 3 novena's as she does. The sister lives in London and the car is there for her bro and herself in Co.Clare for when they are home, so the mother uses it when she doesn't want to ruin her car going doing messy jobs, but she always parks the car in gear and never puts it in neutral.

The daughter never checked this as she placed the key in the ignition, the car bolts forward, crushing flower pots, shrubs and damn well nearly goes through the neighbours wall!!!! Myself and the OH are at the front door seeing them off and we both just burst out laughing. The mother is trying to open the car door but there is a large flower pot in her way, she is screaming like a banshee and destroying the pot and the car door trying to get out!!!!

I nearly went into labour, the wall couldn't keep me standing straight, I slumped to the floor and could not breathe for the laughter! Himself was no different. All that we get in the door then is the daughter with her fists clenched and a face of thunder and after my OH moves the pot, the mother giving out about her lovely garden!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Was serving a little old lady at a deli counter once and had forgotten to switch my phone to silent. Little did I know, my sister--the bad bitch--had recorded herself talking for my ring tone.

Tears were springing to my eyes as the old woman said, "What did you say?" to the repetition of my sister going "suck the farts right out of my arse." :D

I don't think the older woman copped what it was but I had to go hide in the big meat fridge and break my heart laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

On a bus taking a sharp left at the Bleeding Horse (yes, Dublin. Which Dublin? Dublin Dublin). So, some oul fella that was sitting in the seat opposite the stairs leaned, slipped and landed face first on the floor. I near broke my sh!te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Millicent wrote: »
    I had to go hide in the big meat fridge

I love hiding sausages in the big meat fridge.

• Advertisement

I love hiding sausages in the big meat fridge.

Careful, or you'll get blue balls. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

Maggie Thatcher's dementia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

I laughed when i heard George Best died. Liver robbing wife beating dipso

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

During the freeze last year my mate lost control of his car on a hill and slowly slid it in to a pillar at the bottom. When he told me about it that night I cried with laughter. I kept imagining the look of desperation on his face as he frantically struggled to get the heap of sh1te he drives turned before she hit. Tis bad I know but he would've had a field day on it altogether if it had happened to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I laughed when i heard George Best died. Liver robbing wife beating dipso

I seriously doubt that you laughed when he died & I suspect that you are just using this thread to spout some of the type of bile that you'd expect from gutter press like the Daily Mail.

And if you did actually laugh, well then that is very sad. Very sad indeed.

This is really terrible and I always feel guilty for laughing at these stories, but there was a woman where I lived (RIP) who was nuts--I mean, absolutely mental--who was also also very religious. We'll call her Mary for the sake of the stories.

The thing is, she could be fierce annoying and would raise the heckles of the most easygoing person. I even remember my Mam, who's very charitable and mild-mannered, cursing at her to "get off the fucking road" after walking straight in front of her car and deciding not to move.

In that juvenile sort of revenge, kids and teenagers loved to torment her.

So apparently, one time, a friend of mine and some of her friends ding-dong-ditched at her door, but not before leaving a box of teabags on a string. The evil gits then all hid behind a wall and watched her run after the teabags as they hid behind the wall pulling a string.

Another time, they left a broken radio at the house with a note saying:
    To Mary
    Happy birthday
    Love, the Baby Jesus

When my friend told me both these stories, I broke my heart laughing, even as I was trying to give out to my friend.

This next one, though, had me in tears laughing--

Apparently, the local hotel used to do Christmas dinner that you had to book in for months in advance. Of course, she just shows up and says she wants her dinner.

They tell her, "No, Mary. You have to have booked in," to which she starts wailing. (I mean, she used to caterwaul at the top of her lungs and she was in her 60s or so.)

"I want my dinner," she cries and proceeds to wail louder, repeating it over and over.

No amount of explanation or cajoling will dissuade her from wailing and people are starting to stare. So eventually, they decide, fine, just get her in and get her out again.

So they leave her waiting in away from other people, happy as Larry, the waterworks turned off. So one of the lads in payback gets on the tannoy as the rest watch on the security cameras in an adjacent room and says, "Mary, this is God."

To which she looks around and says "Jesus?"

So bad and really cruel but I laugh whenever I think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    The sister lives in London and the car is there for her bro and herself in Co.Clare for when they are home, so the mother uses it when she doesn't want to ruin her car going doing messy jobs, but she always parks the car in gear and never puts it in neutral.

The daughter never checked this as she placed the key in the ignition, the car bolts forward, crushing flower pots, shrubs and damn well nearly goes through the neighbours wall!!!!

All that we get in the door then is the daughter with her fists clenched and a face of thunder and after my OH moves the pot, the mother giving out about her lovely garden!
    Totally deserved - the mother brought that on herself, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Am really going to hell for this but it was the typo not the poor baby that made me lol.

My local newspaper had an article about a fundraiser for a wee dote that was born without arms and UPPER LEGS.
    Feel so bad for laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

cop stopped me outside trinity ( i was a motorcycle courier for 13 years ) and was going into me for a short cut - being a right pr1ck :eek: because the garda on bikes were normally grand

anyway after 10 minutes of saying yes garda and smiling sarcastically at the ****2r he lobs his lid on and starts his bike - i do the same

so we are side by side and he just gives me a dirty look and boots off towards nassau st ( at molly malone statue ) - i follow at a pace to annoy him again......

he drops the left knee and starts to drop the bike into the corner and then....

bike flips and send him into orbit , legs and arms akimbo and lands hard on his arse :D
    his bike tumbles and falls apart like a clown car - - i pull up slow , stopped and got off .......
    so this guy gets up and looks at me with a head like a baboons arse and god help me i just had to say " see... you can fly "
    just as i said it you could see he was about to have a stroke when a bunch of school kids started to laugh uncontrollably and it spreads - people at bus stops started - i could not help it and joined in

now normally i don't find some one a bike taking a flip lightly but you could see he was grand - the bike self destructed comically and in fairness he just spent 10 minutes talking to me like i was 5 years old about bike riding and maintenance
    he was the one who forgot to lift the side stand and dropped it into a corner, not me

still makes me smile :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭HLecter

choice

• Advertisement
Advertisement