Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you homecook baby's food

Options
  • 17-11-2011 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Just wondering how many parents cook and freeze their babies food. I did for my son and am cooking and freezing for my 10mth old now. I really enjoy doing the cooking for her. This batch I made Spaghetti Bolognese, Chicken Casserole, Cheese sauce with broccoli and carrots and fish pie. I love peeling and chopping all the veg and fruit, seeing all the colours and the smells of the food. I do really enjoy doing it. :)

So do many of you make your own baby food? And have you any recipes you would like to share?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I make all of my daughters food - she has eaten whatever we do since about 6/7 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I love to cook anyway and we always eat home-cooked meals so, for me, it was a given that I would cook my guy's food. I do buy the fruit pots for his afternoon snack -I find it hard to get inspired with fruit for some reason. It is straightforward to make batches of meals and then have a variety on hand in the freezer. I send these meals into creche with him and on the weekend he would mostly eat what we are eating. Once he turns one the creche will supply his food, they have an in house cook and source their meat and veg locally. The place always smells great in the morning.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I cook all her dinners but she gets packets occasionally too.
    My bigger girl was not a fan of mammies baby cooking so got jars until she ate with us,which was around 9/10 months as she loved food.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Yeah I usually do 2 batches of dinners a week, normally chicken/meat/fish with spuds and 2 veg, pulsed in the blender and I freeze them in little 'take or toss' tubs.. Got them in Smyths and they're great..

I've stopped using the blender lately though and just leaving stuff lumpier for him as he's getting a good few teeth now.

He was slow to get teeth, didn't get his first one til about 8 months, so had to puree everything up to that point.

I give him the odd jar if I run short of frozen pots for him but I find them very bland.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I cooked everything before I went back to work. Then I gave him the odd jar / pot. Then he just started eating whatever we were having. Now though, he's been teething for months (first the eye teeth and now the molars) so he's terribly picky and might not eat much at all. Can't wait for these flipping teeth to be all grown so he can go back to normal eating patterns!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Yeah, I homecooked my son's food...very rarely did he get a jar of food, only if I was out and about and forgot to bring food with me or something. It is so easy to do and you can have a selection of meals ready to take from the freezer when you need them and you know exactly what they're eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Lola92 wrote: »
    I make all of my daughters food - she has eaten whatever we do since about 6/7 months.

Same here. Apart from the odd pouch of fruit purée, but that's just laziness. And packets of rice cakes or bread sticks when we're out and about.

Advertisement